Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Rear cargo box

Hi: tried search but no help. Any suggestions on different hitch cargo boxes? Iíve looked at Letís go aero (gear space) and Stowayay. Big price difference. Any opinions/experiences appreciated
Thanks, Bob
Mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #2

I had a Rola 59109 swingaway cargo box on the back of my Roadtrek. It had the highest weight capacity of it's peers, in a solid polypropylene shell. Drain hole for water intrusion, and a 4 pin tail light connection. There was an optional lit plate holder, but the Rola didn't obscure my rear plate, so I didn't need it. It had locks that were a bit finicky, but worked with some patience. It was a good cargo box, took it to Alaska and back in 2016, no problems, with spare fuel and tire changing tools in it. Alas, it's been discontinued.
I would buy whatever has all the perks I just mentioned, regardless of price. Lockable, drains well, good weight capacity, and has a tail light connector. The swingaway capability is nice to access stuff through the rear doors on a van. The Rola also allowed you to lift the box off of the base frame, for whatever reason, without removing the frame/base from the receiver, which was another nice option.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

As an after thought - if I was to do it today, I might opt for a hitch mounted swingaway cargo tray with good weight carrying capacity and electrical connections for tail lights, as a base, if something like that exists? Then I'd add something like a lightweight, lockable, aluminum, tool or jobsite box to that. How to secure it would be the question, but I'm sure it could be done relatively easily, with a little thought and ingenuity? Depends on your level of enjoyment for tinkering.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

I use a StowAway2 Max, and it's been great. 16 cubic feet, and comes with an anti-rattle device for the hitch which actually works well. I use the included license plate bracket (lighted) since the box covers my plate. LED lights are optional, and I didn't opt for them as Sprinters supposedly don't play well with LED trailer lights, but it came with them anyway and they work fine.

The frame is quite robust and well executed. StowAway advertises it being made in the USA, which is a plus. Assembly is easy, though it helps to plug the frame into a hitch while assembling (I used the RAV4 in the pics for that). The box is solid, with a rubber gasket, and I've never had any water intrusion. The single lockable handle works two latches and is easy to use.

This may not apply to you as I think you have a Class A, but I swing it open at night so we can get out through the rear doors of our van in an emergency if needed. I also built a wooden cradle for it on a cheap furniture dolly and store it in the garage when it's not being used. I can install and remove it myself with that cradle, but it's not easy. Piece of cake with another person, though.

I store things like electric cords, water hose and regulator, camp chairs and table, fire pit, cleaning supplies and extendable pole and brush, a took kit, and usually plastic bags of clothes and such to fill the voids. It has a 200 lb capacity, but I don't usually go much over half that (yes, I actually weighed the contents once or twice ). There's limited space in my van, so I prefer to store things I may need inside the van, inside the van. Campground stuff is best stored in the carrier since it won't be needed until I'm parked.

Very happy with that purchase, but it's not cheap. Much cheaper than some of the other units out there though.

https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	351310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4448.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	351311  

Name:	IMG_4449.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	351312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	351313  

Old 12-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
As an after thought - if I was to do it today, I might opt for a hitch mounted swingaway cargo tray with good weight carrying capacity and electrical connections for tail lights, as a base, if something like that exists? Then I'd add something like a lightweight, lockable, aluminum, tool or jobsite box to that. How to secure it would be the question, but I'm sure it could be done relatively easily, with a little thought and ingenuity? Depends on your level of enjoyment for tinkering.
SwingAway2 sells just the frame, though not with lights, but a set of LED tail lights for a trailer would be easy enough to install. Same frame as the cargo box, just without the box.

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame

They also sell a narrow (side to side) frame that doesn't interfere with the right-side door of a van, but it's probably too small for what you'd use it for.

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-...or-ski-carrier
Old 12-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #6

Here's my Rola bought a few years ago ... it has the slide out tray and gives clearance for my 350HD Transit doors to open ...
Old 12-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

An alternate opinion: No storage box on the back. When we downsized to a Class B, we were determined to get rid of enough stuff to allow us to camp in our Class B without any external storage units. If we could do it, so can anyone else.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:51 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for all the info. We had an A, which spoils one with all the storage, but just downsized to a Winnebago Boldt. Weíre going to live with it for awhile and see how it goes.

Just want to explore our options if we decide we need something.

Thanks, Bob
Mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
This may not apply to you as I think you have a Class A, but I swing it open at night so we can get out through the rear doors of our van in an emergency if needed.
Do you do anything to remind yourself to push it back in and latch it closed before you leave in the morning, or do you count on catching it when you do a pre-departure walkthrough (or do you swing it so far that it's easily visible in the mirror)?

Sometimes when I stop overnight, I don't bother to hook up water or electricity, so I wouldn't notice it when unhooking water/electric. But I'd still want to unlatch it at every stop to keep the rear doors free in case of emergency... my fear is that I'll take off without latching it closed and it'll be swinging around as I drive down the road.
rlw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #10

The Stowaway2 Max has a real nice swing out frame. I looked at the Lets Go Aero Gear Space and do not see a swing out frame option. Stowaway is a well made unit. I have one but no frame. I bought it with a home made frame that was hugely heavy and clunky, badly rusted and eventually threw it in scrap metal (frame weighed 75 or 80 lbs). Bought it for my Winnebago View, sold the motor home, so all I can say is the Stowaway is well made and I like the way the lid opens compared to the Lets Go Aero.

The LetsGoAero is huge, over twice the cubic capacity (34 vs 16 cu ft) of the Stowaway2 Max and nearly twice the weight capacity (375 vs 200 lbs). Not sure I'd want or trust something that big hanging out on the back of the van or camper.

Charles
Old 02-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I use a StowAway2 Max, and it's been great. 16 cubic feet, and comes with an anti-rattle device for the hitch which actually works well. I use the included license plate bracket (lighted) since the box covers my plate. LED lights are optional, and I didn't opt for them as Sprinters supposedly don't play well with LED trailer lights, but it came with them anyway and they work fine.
Wow, this looks nice. Thanks for the link. Do you ever empty this and take it off once you reach your destination? I was wondering if we could take it off the RV once we reach our spot to make it easier to drive around. I know it's a wee bit heavy, but I think we could do it. Might need to lock it to something, I suppose.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Do you ever empty this and take it off once you reach your destination? I was wondering if we could take it off the RV once we reach our spot to make it easier to drive around.
We use the same StowAway as KazKrans. I think you will find it more hassle than it's worth to remove the box while at a campsite. Not only is it heavy and unwieldy, but you will need to use a large wrench to remove re-install the anti-rattle device. If you put your license plate on the box, you will need to remove it and put it back on the van. None of these things are hard to do, but we don't see the need. We just leave the StowAway at home for shorter trips or when we will be doing strictly urban adventure. We put it on when we will be out for a while and want to carry the inflatable kayak, screen tent, or other bulky items that we will use in a campground. Adding the box only slightly impacts where we can park in a city, but it has not been enough of an issue that I wished I had left it at the campsite. The Stowaya system is great for us. We highly recommend.
Currently: 2018 Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD2 (Sprinter 3500 ext 170 wheelbase) Previous rigs: 2014 Itasca Cambria Class C; 2000 MCI 4500e bus conv. American Coach; 2007 Fleetwood Rev. class A; 1990 Prevost XL bus conv. by Country Coach
LA-Hodag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #13

Stowaway bracket and a Betterbuilt aluminum truck box. Wired in LED stop/tail/turn lights and license plate light. All works really well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3379901E-AF8A-4798-A13C-8114F5A3C475.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	357548  
Quadidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadidaho View Post
Stowaway bracket and a Betterbuilt aluminum truck box. Wired in LED stop/tail/turn lights and license plate light. All works really well.
Sweet! So your bikes ride above the box, or between the van and box? What bike rack is that?
Currently: 2018 Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD2 (Sprinter 3500 ext 170 wheelbase) Previous rigs: 2014 Itasca Cambria Class C; 2000 MCI 4500e bus conv. American Coach; 2007 Fleetwood Rev. class A; 1990 Prevost XL bus conv. by Country Coach
LA-Hodag2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear