Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Receiver hitch cargo carrier

Just purchased my first RV, a Class B 1987 Intervec Falcon in superb condition. As an old backpacker with bad knees, this is my second choice as for travel and I thought I'd see how I liked it. Wonderful.
Always thought these looked kind of cheesy, but bought a cargo carrier for the receiver hitch onto which I loaded my Honda EU 2000i generator. I pull into an area which allows generators, plug it in, pull the cord and I'm at home. This will provide power all night for my CPAP and AC on low with refrigerator on LP.
The Falcon has Timbren load levelers, which may help, but the cargo carrier is a dream. Mine came from Harbor Freight for $59, seems quite sturdy, has gone 2000 miles without loosening up. A chain with lock for the generator as well as a locking pin were extra.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Here is mine - Love it

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

Precisely! I can't find the thing to get the pictures out of my phone.

What I've done with mine, though, is put a layer of 1/4 plywood on the bottom, then one of those foam rubber floor pads they sell at Home Depot, put a piece of 1/4 inch plywood the footprint of my generator down, and then glued another piece of the padding over that.

The theory is that the bottom foam will absorb some of the vibration, the plywood on top of that will distribute the vibrations some more and keep the generator from working it's way through the bottom foam, and then the foam on top is to absorb more.

Wish I could send a picture, it's really simple. And Inside I just hear a hum.

Thanks a lot for sending that along. I was once negotiating a labor agreement, and the other guy and I came upon the same solution at the same time.

"Great minds run in the same track", I say.

"And fools think alike." was the responsel
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Just be careful, thieves use bolt cutters to steal generators at a beach campground we frequent.Bolt cutters are cheap to buy and quiet.Think of another way to add a secondary locking device thats hard to get to with bolt cutters.I worked in construction and all my foreman had portable generators and we even had them stolen while they stopped to run into a store for a few minutes.Just a thought !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have one from harbor Freight.. Make sure the exhaust on that honda points away from your living quarters.

This is my second one, the first took a "hit" and got lost (I got it elsewhere) it had a generator on it at the time.... My first trip out I used that genny on occasion to maintain the batteries as a quart or two in the Genrac 1000 was worth several gallons in the Onan and the 1000 did the conveter just fine (it's near by).

I used a dual hitch adapter (custom made) to carry it along with my towed.

Today I do not have a towed so I use the HF one, (It got damaged and I rebuilt it, better) to carry my wife's mobility scooter, at 250 pounds I can pick it up and set it down (ONCE a day, no more) so it works out well.. I put a Blue Ox anti-rattle clip on it so it's very solid. Holds my 300 pounds no problem.

The main bar was damaged, so i got a newer, longer one, removed the hitch adapter and drilled the main bar to hold my bicycle as well.

Just for fun I added a pair of stop/tail/turn LED lights to it, Mostly cause these made in china lights would not work in a car (Wired wrong) but I was able to overcome that, Also I no longer have a car they can fit in, Lights required if the tray sticks out 48" or more, but at 28" I put 'em on for fun.

When I get a towed again I'll likely move it to the back of the towed.