Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Question S o s ... --- ...

I come to you all with hat in hand in search of information. I have a Duo Therm Penguin AC mounted on my 1999 Coach House Class B RV. As I was cleaning the roof the other day I noticed an open hole in the roof just forward of the AC on the driver’s side (pictures attached Roof Hole 1). Can you please tell me what this hole is for; should it be uncovered or uncovered; am I missing a cover for it? If it requires a cover could you please ID the part number/name and where I can obtain one. Thanks for your assistance. All information on the specific unit is identified in jpeg titled Roof Hole 1.

I have searched throughout this site and on google with no luck. I have contacted Duo Therm and they have indicated that it is not related to the Penguin. I have contacted the manufacturer with no response to date. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Best. Shorty sends...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Hole 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	64875  
shoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

Could it be a drain hole? Looks like your AC sets in a hole.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

I don't know anything about your coach, but to me it looks like the drain for your AC.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #4

My Pleasure Way has the same recess for the AC but doesn't have that drain hole. I'm sure it's for when it's parked with the front end low and it drains the water that would pool in there. I wish mine had this as I always have to make sure it's higher slightly in the front to prevent water pooling there
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402237172.989001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	64884

Here you can my recess area
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Could it be a drain hole? Looks like your AC sets in a hole.
Don thanks for the feed back, Duo Therm said it had nothing to do with the AC? The condensation drains down the back of the roof when unit is level. Perhaps the theory off it being a self imposed (Coach House) drain for when the vehicle is parked nose down is valid? Upon close inspecthion though you can see where there was a seal around the hole due to discoloration on the fiberglass... I'll keep hoping that some one will chime in with the right answer. Thanks again to all for the feedback.

Best. Shorty sends...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
My Pleasure Way has the same recess for the AC but doesn't have that drain hole. I'm sure it's for when it's parked with the front end low and it drains the water that would pool in there. I wish mine had this as I always have to make sure it's higher slightly in the front to prevent water pooling there
Tdogking. You theory makes very good sense. My concern is that rain water gets in, but I'm assuming it will drain out the normal way out the back? What about critters getting in? I'm thinking about put one of the hose screen filters made by camco to keep the bugs out. I hope some Wide Body owner weighs in on this. I cant beleive Im the only guy in the world that owns one of theses? Thanks for your time. Best. Shorty sends...
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why don't you try blowing air through it and listening for it. Or put some soapy water in it and blow air through the hole and look for bubles
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
Why don't you try blowing air through it and listening for it. Or put some soapy water in it and blow air through the hole and look for bubles
Thanks. Will try that in the AM. I think that I will park it nose down with the rear end elevated and crank the AC to see if water flows out. Either way though I will place a screen seal over it to keep criters out, like mud daubbers which are prolific here in Alabama. Thanks for all the good ideas. Best Shorty sends...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoret View Post
Thanks. Will try that in the AM. I think that I will park it nose down with the rear end elevated and crank the AC to see if water flows out. Either way though I will place a screen seal over it to keep criters out, like mud daubbers which are prolific here in Alabama. Thanks for all the good ideas. Best Shorty sends...
Why not just pour water down it and have someone watch underneath to locate where it comes out.
By not parking level or nose up the water will pool against the gasket under the AC and increase chances of a leak. I believe they put that in as insurance to make sure it didn't pool there
Anyway...let us know what you find !
Old 06-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #11

I contacted the manufacturers Senior Leadership, President, VP, and Service Manager (again for the X2) and I got a response from the VP himself. Seems the hole is a drain for water from either rain or the condensation of the A/C if parked on a decline. In this attitude condensation should drain between the interior wall panels and out through the bottom of the coach. I will try this once it stops raining here by pour water directly into the hole and have some one watch underneath. If all goes well, I will also install a fine screen similar to the ones used on hose connections to catch debris and to prevent mud daubers from finding a new zip code. Now apparently I’m the sole owner of a 192KS who knows what this hole is for. Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide a solution set.
Best. Shorty sends...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

I am happy to report that all of the suggestions/recommendations in aggregate allowed me to resolve this issue. First the hole in question is a drain to allow for the AC condensation to drain when the coach is parked in a nose down attitude. Secondly the drain was clogged beyond belief due to many years of neglect. I started off by pouring cap full’s of Clorox from the roof hole on a daily basis for about two weeks. Then I applied pressure via an air compressor and water hose from the roof down as well with marginal results. Finally today I figured I would apply the same technique from the drain up. Viola! Behold a giant volcanic eruption occurred on the roof with gobs of dirty and junk shooting out the roof drain hole. I repeated the and air/water blow out from both the top/down and from the bottom/up and feel I have established the flow path. I will continue to pour a capful of Clorox into the drain in an attempt to maintain the water flow.
Thanks to all who weighed in on providing guidance. Respectfully I remain. Shorty sends…
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to fix it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote