Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #1

Saw this article... Mercedes stops selling in US

Mercedes says goodbye to diesel in North America | Driving

My first thought is this is BS.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When gas engines get very efficient the demand for diesel in automobiles, drops. There is no longer a significant advantage to diesels in automobiles and Mercedes is experiencing significant decline in sales of diesels in the US. So, they are pulling them from the market. I don't believe they are removing them from vans or cab chassis, however.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

There are some excellent diesel cars available outside the US, due to stringent emission laws its not worth it for them to try to compete. They have to do additional and often near impossible engineering to get them to pass. I know Mercedes has had some issues with their sprinter chassis.

Its a real shame its so tough. I had my eyeballs on the Mazda CRV diesel supposed to be here for 2018. Who knows for sure but the address the issue in the article https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ng-for-feature
“It could be made to drive the way we wanted or it could meet U.S. emissions, but not both,”

Its not popularity so much as being able to make it work in the U.S.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

Considering that the article cited fuel problems with the mandated diesel blends it might be interesting to see what happens with the small truck chassis.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I sent this article to a local LTV dealer for his response and this was his reply. Me thinks the BS meter is running high on this but I guess time will tell.
Perhaps, given the VW fiasco, this article is focused on the passenger car market and not on the truck (Sprinter Van) market.

I met with several Manufacturers that build on the Mercedes 2 weeks ago at the Nation RV convention in Kentucky, other than the projected delay for 2018's there was no mention of Mercedes not supplying the 3500, surely we should have heard gossip or speculation, as a matter of fact the US manufacturers were all adding new models with Mercedes to their 2018 Line-ups. If these rumours are true and will include the 3500 I really believe no one expected or knew it was going to happen.. The only back up plan would be for everyone to switch over to the Ford Transit and at this time it does not have the capacity we need for Motor homes of this size..We just have to wait and see how this goes.. LTV by the way, was awarded Best Motor home Manufacturer, thats 6 consecutive years... Hopefully this will get sorted out soon...Cheers Rick
Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #6

I'd say 50/50 BS/truth.

After the VW fiasco, MB is probably gun-shy. I believe that article applies to cars, but not the Sprinter vans.

Tags
sell