RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #15

Hi, greenhouse. I am searching for an rv too right now. [Mod Edit] Good luck!
DenisDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
Given you're looking at Sprinters, have you considered the Pleasure-Way Plateau models? They have 3-point seat belts in the rear lounge. If a Ram ProMaster platform is ok, you could also look at their Lexor models. Pretty sure they also have 3 point restraints in the rear lounge. Not entirely sure about sleeping arrangements for 3+ people, but they are nice units designed to transport 3-4 people safely with those rear seatbelts.
I hadn't considered those. I knew they were built on the MB chassis but thought sleeping options were further diminished... Thank you for suggesting.
greenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
In April wife and made it from Florida to home using only our RV tanks and made it in 4 days. I consider that the limit for our black tank.
Thank you!! That gives me a good gauge....
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
In April wife and made it from Florida to home using only our RV tanks and made it in 4 days. I consider that the limit for our black tank.
That gives me hope for when it is just two of us traveling
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
My rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per day per person without active water conservation measures, this means flushing with some water after each toilet use, no if its yellow let it mellow, etc. and a single sub 3 minute shower per person per day, plus kitchen use water.

With water conservation that can be stretched considerably, cut back on showers, catch shower and dish water and use it for toilet flushing, etc., but regardless of how you cut it you need to plan on about 1/2 gallon going into the tank per #1 use, and 1 gallon going in for each #2 use. Less than this and you will just be asking for a clogged up black tank. Google says average human urine output per day is 1 -2 liters.

As a point of comparison my 28 ft class A has 80 gal fresh water, 40 gray and 40 black tank sizes. When traveling solo I can easily go 8 days between dumping taking a 3 minute shower each day. Of course when solo traveling I tend to do a lot less real cooking than when my wife is along so a lot less dishes to wash. The big difference here is that my coach is on a 17,000 GVWR chassis so can carry a lot more weight with just under 3,000 pounds CCC (cargo weight carrying capacity) where many class B and B+ coaches are under 1,000, some under 700.

Without management my gray tank would fill up before my black tank, though on my coach the bathroom sink feeds the black tank not the gray so dish water, etc. tends to go down the toilet or the bathroom sink to balance out the tank loads, and lower the chance of clogs.

p.s. if you still want to stay small and get better tank size I would suggest looking at something like a Winnebago Vista 26HE, 27N, 27PE, etc. The 26HE is only 26'11" long
Thank you - these were great points and gave me some real world examples of balancing the fresh/ grey/ black tanks. I did look at the Vista. It is a great vehicle too. My hubby is pretty sold on the "van" like look Your comment about sink water feeding the black tank is giving me some creative ideas
Old 08-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #20

I can understand the appeal of the class B van look, yet every time I look at one in person and see just how much more cramped they are, how much less capacity they have in living space, cargo space, tank size, and cargo weight carrying capacity vs a small class A that is only 3-4 feet longer I suddenly find myself asking is the appeal worth it for all the other stuff you loose. It is just you sacrifice so much to find into the limitations of a van body.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #21

Isaac-1 - just another 3 or 4 feet starts to add up! I’m curious, how wide is your 28 foot class a? And how is the steering? Both my class A and DP wandered horribly without add on steering assists. My class B tracks like a car.

There are a lot of reasons people chose a B, just probably not something you would do. Luckily we have choices.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #22

Wall to wall mine is 98.5 inches, mirror tip to mirror tip it is 10'1" and is 11'5" tall though the same model got wider and taller the next model year, which is part of the reason I bought this one as my roll up shed door is 12'0" tall.

As to handling it is worse than a van, but not too bad, though mine has just about all the available suspension upgrades, many of which were on it when I bought it including Koni FSD shocks, rear track bar, upgraded sway bar bushings, front spreader bar, Safe-T Plus, rear Airlift 5000 airbags with in cab compressor control (single channel), Super Steer bell cranks, and Super Steer no-airbag front springs. I owned a 1989 19 E150 and then a 1995 21 ft GMC 2500 camper van around 20 years ago, my Trek handles on the highway similar to the E150 which was likely overloaded, but not as well as the GMC.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 AM   #23

Well there you go. Your class A is almost 2 feet wider than my B. After years of traveling being unable to spontaneously stop somewhere we can now “fit between the lines” in any parking lot or along the curb of any street where a car can fit. Regarding handling, I see all of your upgrades made it “not too bad”. As I mentioned I too had to do upgrades to my previous coaches to get them to that point. When we replaced the DP my wife said it had to be something she would enjoy driving and frankly, I wanted something that drives more like a car and our Sprinter does that from the factory.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #24

It is true we can't stop everywhere we want to, though more often than not we can find an option if it is somewhere we really want to see, though it may involve parking a block away. We are at the size point where we can sort of fit into the length of a standard parking space if we can back in and overhang the curb, though due to off tracking and wheel cut, we will tend to encroach neighboring spaces when pulling in or out. About the only areas where we really tend to have problems are downtown streets in small towns where all the parking is diagonal parking, and places with very small parking lots. Even then there is often parallel parking, or a larger parking lot available a block or so away. See attached photo of our coach stopped at a roadside attractions, backed into a standard parking space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backed-in-trek.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	297095   Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebell-trek.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	297096  

Old 08-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I can understand the appeal of the class B van look, yet every time I look at one in person and see just how much more cramped they are, how much less capacity they have in living space, cargo space, tank size, and cargo weight carrying capacity vs a small class A that is only 3-4 feet longer I suddenly find myself asking is the appeal worth it for all the other stuff you loose. It is just you sacrifice so much to find into the limitations of a van body.
You make some great points. Thank you. For me, I feel much more confident driving a vehicle the Class B size and I am content with the smaller size. Yes, there will definitely be limitations and some growing pains but next to car camping, this is going to be luxurious!!
Old 08-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Well there you go. Your class A is almost 2 feet wider than my B. After years of traveling being unable to spontaneously stop somewhere we can now “fit between the lines” in any parking lot or along the curb of any street where a car can fit. Regarding handling, I see all of your upgrades made it “not too bad”. As I mentioned I too had to do upgrades to my previous coaches to get them to that point. When we replaced the DP my wife said it had to be something she would enjoy driving and frankly, I wanted something that drives more like a car and our Sprinter does that from the factory.
Dave, this is precisely why I am interested in the Era. Thank you for validating my thinking!