Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #1

Service Availability - Revel or Storyteller

We are looking at buying a Class B, probably either a Revel or a Storyteller Mode. We like the features of the Storyteller Mode but there isn't a dealer in Ohio and the 2 nearest dealers (Pittsburgh and Louisville) don't have one to look at. So this leaves me concerned about service. If some component of the RV like the heater or the electrical system (as opposed to the engine and other vehicle components) am I going to have to drive 300+ miles from home to get it fixed?

The Revel dealer is just 20 minutes away.

Thanks in advance.
ArtKru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #2

Only under warranty, and they're usually good for one year from date of delivery. Appliance warranties vary in length and coverage, some may be longer than the manufacturer's warranty. After that, you can get any qualified shop to do the repairs (on your dime) unless it's some system that's proprietary to the manufacturer that a 3rd party shop can't, or won't, touch.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

Some dealers reportedly won't work on an RV that wasn't purchased through them, or at least the owner gets put in the back of the line, even for paid non-warranty work. You might want to ask about the service policy of every dealer you're considering purchasing from, or using for service if buying elsewhere.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #4

If you are handy, forget about the warranty and by the one you like best. If you are less handy, go with the closer dealer.
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

I'd go with the storyteller. The revel is mass produced and won't have nearly the quality of the storyteller. If something breaks on the storyteller it will likely be an end appliance like a microwave or refrigerator which can be easily replaced by you and not something behind the walls. The electrical system will be fully tested and use marine grade wiring, with properly crimped and shrink wrapped connectors. Plumbing will be of similar quality. IMO, you won't get that with the revel. If you do have a problem, storyteller will probably tell you to find a local repair guy and then reimburse you for the repair. Go with the better quality van and you won't have to worry as much about repairs.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

Good advice

Thanks, Danny969. I believe we are going to follow you advice. The only downer is the lead time for delivery. We can get a Revel now but we'll wait around 1 year to take delivery on the Storyteller. Still, I'm convinced by the quality. In the meantime we'll rent a different Class B and build our skills in RV travel.

Art
ArtKru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtKru View Post
Thanks, Danny969. I believe we are going to follow you advice. The only downer is the lead time for delivery. We can get a Revel now but we'll wait around 1 year to take delivery on the Storyteller. Still, I'm convinced by the quality. In the meantime we'll rent a different Class B and build our skills in RV travel.

Art
Yeah, I kinda knew the storyteller had a long lead time. All the small and custom builders are booked out at least a year so it's not as long as I thought it would be. It'll be worth the wait. I like your plan on renting. It will help you figure out what you need/don't need so you can have the storyteller guys customize your new van (to the extent possible) to fit your needs.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service