Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Sprinter chassis battery

Hi All - we have recently, two days ago, purchased a small coach on a 2019 Sprinter chassis. The chassis battery is at 10.6 volts. I would like to connect my battery charger directly to the battery. Have any of you done this? I have not heard back from the local MB Sprinter shop as to whether this can be done without ruining something.

All input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Les, T.O. CA
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Littleton, Co
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1
Chassis Battery

You should not have any problem connecting directly to your battery. Iím assuming you have a sealed battery. In the event you donít be sure a check the water level. Remember a slow charge is the best way to charge it if possible. Be sure your connections are clean. After you charge it and you are able to use it I would recommend you have someone do a load test on it to check your battery condition. You may have a problem with it. Iím assuming also that your charging system is in working condition. Good luck, Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 257
Just curiousÖ is there a reason you donít want to use the under hood positive post and any chassis ground? When my chassis battery drifts too low I just use the points MB provided.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 53
Check your Sprinter owner's manual. It explains how to use the under hood positive terminal and a ground stud to charge the battery as magicbus mentioned above.
__________________
- - Mike
------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Just curiousÖ is there a reason you donít want to use the under hood positive post and any chassis ground? When my chassis battery drifts too low I just use the points MB provided.
The vehicle is new to us. I did not know what that positive lug connected to. I thought it might have connected directly to the starter. Now I know. Do you have a wiring diagram available?

Thank you for the input.
Les
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Check your Sprinter owner's manual. It explains how to use the under hood positive terminal and a ground stud to charge the battery as magicbus mentioned above.
Thank you for the input.
Les
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 225
If you don't have a manual they are available for download. I don't think they include a wiring diagram though.



Our Roadtrek Sprinter has two batteries under the hood - neither one is the chassis battery. The chassis battery is under the drivers seat.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr.Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA and TN
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
Hi All - we have recently, two days ago, purchased a small coach on a 2019 Sprinter chassis. The chassis battery is at 10.6 volts. I would like to connect my battery charger directly to the battery. Have any of you done this? I have not heard back from the local MB Sprinter shop as to whether this can be done without ruining something.

All input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Les, T.O. CA
Hello Les, welcome to the 'B' world! Which company up-fitted your Sprinter?

Wishing many years of happy travels!
Mark
__________________
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B Sprinter (bought May '21)
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr. 6-speed manual (toad)
(Sold)2015 Prevost Liberty Coach,(Sold)2008 Monaco Dynasty
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Hello Les, welcome to the 'B' world! Which company up-fitted your Sprinter?

Wishing many years of happy travels!
Mark
2019 Entegra Qwest. We use a 2003 Mini Cooper S for a tow'd.

Les
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
If you don't have a manual they are available for download. I don't think they include a wiring diagram though.



Our Roadtrek Sprinter has two batteries under the hood - neither one is the chassis battery. The chassis battery is under the drivers seat.

We have a manual. Chassis battery under the driver side floor, coach batteries under the coach entry step. 2019 Entegra Qwest.

Les
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
KanzKran's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,944
I use the Ďalways oní power port thatís low on the console with my trickle charger. BUT mine is an Ď18, and I donít know if the next gen vans have such a power port.

Something to look into for low power charging at least.
__________________
Tom & Jeri
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24T Li3
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I use the Ďalways oní power port thatís low on the console with my trickle charger. BUT mine is an Ď18, and I donít know if the next gen vans have such a power port.

Something to look into for low power charging at least.

Ours is also a 2018 chassis and has that power port. The coach is new to us, had it less than a week. I will be looking at a trickle charger.

Thanks
Les
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 444
As others mentioned the positive connection is on the side of the air box and there is a copper colored stud on the driver's side fender for the negative. On the positive you have to pull back on the spring loaded protective cover then clip your charger lead on.
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
KanzKran's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
Ours is also a 2018 chassis and has that power port. The coach is new to us, had it less than a week. I will be looking at a trickle charger.
Mine has three termination ends that are interchangeable. One is the power plug for cigarette lighter socket style, which I use in the van in the port near the floor. Another is a pair of alligator clamps for battery posts that I use on a car in temporary semi-storage. The third is ring eye terminations for semipermanent mounting to battery post clamps or whatever that live connected to my inlawsí car battery when theyíre gone in the winter. Makes it easy to move the charger around between vehicles.

I donít leave the charger on anything for more than a few days, and I pop off the disconnect under the Ďgasí pedal of the Sprinter after I remove the charger. Lead acid batteries self-discharge slowly when itís cold, so I bring them up and leave them be for a while.
__________________
Tom & Jeri
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24T Li3
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, chassis, sprinter, sprinter chassis



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-2008 Sprinter v new Sprinter HHindquarter Sprinter Chassis Forum 2 05-03-2018 01:38 AM
Citation Sprinter :: 2015 Thor Motorcoach Citation Sprinter 24sa jimdland iRV2 Owners Registry 0 03-29-2018 12:23 AM
Citation SPRINTER / Siesta SPRINTER edgray Thor Industries Owner's Forum 5 12-27-2013 06:28 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.