Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #1

Sprinter chassis battery

Hi All - we have recently, two days ago, purchased a small coach on a 2019 Sprinter chassis. The chassis battery is at 10.6 volts. I would like to connect my battery charger directly to the battery. Have any of you done this? I have not heard back from the local MB Sprinter shop as to whether this can be done without ruining something.

All input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Les, T.O. CA
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #2

Chassis Battery

You should not have any problem connecting directly to your battery. I’m assuming you have a sealed battery. In the event you don’t be sure a check the water level. Remember a slow charge is the best way to charge it if possible. Be sure your connections are clean. After you charge it and you are able to use it I would recommend you have someone do a load test on it to check your battery condition. You may have a problem with it. I’m assuming also that your charging system is in working condition. Good luck, Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

Just curious… is there a reason you don’t want to use the under hood positive post and any chassis ground? When my chassis battery drifts too low I just use the points MB provided.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #4

Check your Sprinter owner's manual. It explains how to use the under hood positive terminal and a ground stud to charge the battery as magicbus mentioned above.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Just curious… is there a reason you don’t want to use the under hood positive post and any chassis ground? When my chassis battery drifts too low I just use the points MB provided.
The vehicle is new to us. I did not know what that positive lug connected to. I thought it might have connected directly to the starter. Now I know. Do you have a wiring diagram available?

Thank you for the input.
Les
Old 01-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Check your Sprinter owner's manual. It explains how to use the under hood positive terminal and a ground stud to charge the battery as magicbus mentioned above.
Thank you for the input.
Les
Old 01-14-2022, 09:49 PM   #7

If you don't have a manual they are available for download. I don't think they include a wiring diagram though.

Our Roadtrek Sprinter has two batteries under the hood - neither one is the chassis battery. The chassis battery is under the drivers seat.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
Hi All - we have recently, two days ago, purchased a small coach on a 2019 Sprinter chassis. The chassis battery is at 10.6 volts. I would like to connect my battery charger directly to the battery. Have any of you done this? I have not heard back from the local MB Sprinter shop as to whether this can be done without ruining something.

All input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Les, T.O. CA
Hello Les, welcome to the 'B' world! Which company up-fitted your Sprinter?

Wishing many years of happy travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Hello Les, welcome to the 'B' world! Which company up-fitted your Sprinter?

Wishing many years of happy travels!
Mark
2019 Entegra Qwest. We use a 2003 Mini Cooper S for a tow'd.

Les
Old 01-15-2022, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
If you don't have a manual they are available for download. I don't think they include a wiring diagram though.

Our Roadtrek Sprinter has two batteries under the hood - neither one is the chassis battery. The chassis battery is under the drivers seat.

We have a manual. Chassis battery under the driver side floor, coach batteries under the coach entry step. 2019 Entegra Qwest.

Les
Old 01-16-2022, 07:29 AM   #11

I use the ‘always on’ power port that’s low on the console with my trickle charger. BUT mine is an ‘18, and I don’t know if the next gen vans have such a power port.

Something to look into for low power charging at least.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I use the ‘always on’ power port that’s low on the console with my trickle charger. BUT mine is an ‘18, and I don’t know if the next gen vans have such a power port.

Something to look into for low power charging at least.

Ours is also a 2018 chassis and has that power port. The coach is new to us, had it less than a week. I will be looking at a trickle charger.

Thanks
Les
Old 01-16-2022, 07:09 PM   #13

As others mentioned the positive connection is on the side of the air box and there is a copper colored stud on the driver's side fender for the negative. On the positive you have to pull back on the spring loaded protective cover then clip your charger lead on.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
Ours is also a 2018 chassis and has that power port. The coach is new to us, had it less than a week. I will be looking at a trickle charger.
Mine has three termination ends that are interchangeable. One is the power plug for cigarette lighter socket style, which I use in the van in the port near the floor. Another is a pair of alligator clamps for battery posts that I use on a car in temporary semi-storage. The third is ring eye terminations for semipermanent mounting to battery post clamps or whatever that live connected to my inlaws’ car battery when they’re gone in the winter. Makes it easy to move the charger around between vehicles.

I don’t leave the charger on anything for more than a few days, and I pop off the disconnect under the ‘gas’ pedal of the Sprinter after I remove the charger. Lead acid batteries self-discharge slowly when it’s cold, so I bring them up and leave them be for a while.

Tags
battery, chassis, sprinter, sprinter chassis