Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sprinter service "B" cost? Was quoted $2300!!!

I took my 2016 Sprinter chassis in for the airbag recall. While there I figured I'd have the service "B" done. My computer shows 2 wrenches service due in 5300 miles. Anyway the service rep said it is years or mileage so I need the 40,000 mile service B which replaces many filters, bleeds the brakes, changes the trans fluid, oil etc... cost? $2300!!! The highest price I've seen from others was around $1300 with many paying less. Can someone share their experience please. Maybe I'll take it to a Freightliner dealer.

Thank you in advance for any insight!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

That was a quote from a dealer? I'd expect they don't do many and really don't want to do many so they over quote. And if you take it to Freightliner, have your heart pills nearby because their quote will also be outrageous.

Instead, take it to a diesel shop that also works on RVs. Print out the requirements for that particular job and let them analyse it and let you know it they want to do it. Note that any shop can do the work and if you have an itemized receipt, your warranty, if any, isn't affected.

Check RVServiceReviews.com for other RV'ers reviews of shops nearby.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

Should be around $850...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
I took my 2016 Sprinter chassis in for the airbag recall. While there I figured I'd have the service "B" done. My computer shows 2 wrenches service due in 5300 miles. Anyway the service rep said it is years or mileage so I need the 40,000 mile service B which replaces many filters, bleeds the brakes, changes the trans fluid, oil etc... cost? $2300!!! The highest price I've seen from others was around $1300 with many paying less. Can someone share their experience please. Maybe I'll take it to a Freightliner dealer.

Thank you in advance for any insight!
If you go to an independent garage, or if your qualified RV shop can do this, even with all Mercedes Benz parts it should not be more than $900 tops.....

Now, I'm making it sound palatable, I don't think even $900 is a good thing......it's outrageous... but, $2,300 is insane.

Freightliner dealership is just going to be about the same as Mercedes Benz dealership......

Unfortunately, the parts from Mercedes Benz are extremely expensive, the water separator, oil filter and accessories for this, don't forget anything...all important. Plus the replacement of the oil, the engine takes over 13 quarts, transmission oil, filters, etc...... The big difference is the price of the labor..... Unless you are "supremely confident" in doing this yourself, I highly recommend that you have it done professionally. Look, it's a very EXPENSIVE engine.. and you don't want to make any mistakes....

By the way, he's absolutely right, it's either time or mileage, so, if you went 1,000 miles in one year or 10,000 miles, you still have to get it done...it doesn't matter....so, you might as well drive it and get the use from the vehicle..... once per year regardless of MILEAGE.

Overall miles on a diesel engine is not the same as gasoline engines, in my opinion.....NADA doesn't even count mileage in their valuation of the vehicle.....

Good luck.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
In December I had our 2016 View serviced at Lynnwood MB (Wa.). It had just under 20k miles and was due for a service B oil change (based on time not miles). I agreed to the same list of fluid changes as the OP wardy- oil, tranny, brake flush plus retorque of sway bar bolts and new wiper blades. The bill was $1639. We're now good for 20k miles or whenever the mystery clock runs out.
Having had several german cars I'm kinda numb to the cost of maintenance but do fill my pockets with dealer provided snacks and drinks!
BTW, strongly prefer Lynnwood MB over Tacoma MB service for our cars and sprinter.
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Well Freightliner turned out to be much better for the B service, about $1300. That's $700 less than the MB dealer even after my $300 coupon.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

good for you. The real answer is that there is zero logical reason (other than lining someone's pocketbook and because you have to in order to satisfy warranty requirements) to change trans fluid or do a brake flush at 5300 miles. Had the same issue with my Jag; 20,000 mile oil change intervals OR one year.....ended up changing the oil at 1800 miles to satisfy the warranty....what a load of bull....

Dave
Old 02-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

I wager the truth about MB shops charging outrageous prices is because the people that buy MB's are a bit more wealthy than Ford/Ram/GM owners and just pay because it's not a huge deal for them.

Which is why I chose to never own the MB Sprinter. That, and I am over diesel engines after selling my pusher to go gas B van.

It's either ecoboost FORD or Pentastar RAM...where dealers are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bad Bolt;5160569]I wager the truth about MB shops charging outrageous prices is because the people that buy MB's are a bit more wealthy than Ford/Ram/GM owners and just pay because it's not a huge deal for them.

I think it's pretty hard to become wealthy by over-paying for anything on a regular basis.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This listing of CANADA and USA Sprinter State by State Service Centers may be helpful. You may have to join SPRINTER FORUMS to see the list not sure let me know please Thanks.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=125

This may be helpful if you need Sprinter Van accessories?

https://www.sprinterstore.com/model/2019-4500/page/3/
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service