Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #1

Sprinter's New Motor & 9 Speed Transmission

Been looking at class B units and understand that upcoming sprinters will all have the OM654 4-cylinder engine and 9 speed auto transmission. Read that the motor will have several HP configurations as well. Any info would be great since I am in a holding pattern on moving forward. Thanks
Bobo12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo12000 View Post
Been looking at class B units and understand that upcoming sprinters will all have the OM654 4-cylinder engine and 9 speed auto transmission. Read that the motor will have several HP configurations as well. Any info would be great since I am in a holding pattern on moving forward. Thanks
Best information I can find is OM654 4-cylinder diesel engine and 9-speed won't be available until 2023 model year in USA. The multiple HP configurations is for the European market. No information released yet by MBUSA for the engine configurations.

Here is the MBUSA media release from September 2021. Note there is a footnote at end of article that says: "U.S. specific variants will be announced closer to launch."

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...ng-door-system

Best place to follow information on new engine is the Sprinter-Source forum. There are several threads discussing the OM654 engine. Just use "OM654" as a search term and you will find lots of info.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #3

Prolly depends on the EPA stranglehold on common sense.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Prolly depends on the EPA stranglehold on common sense.
Gosh darned pointy heads! Don't you miss the days when we could get that good old leaded gas? And how about that DDT? That stuff would sure kill some bugs, darn tootin....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #5

Tetraethyl lead in Atlantic gasoline. Washed up in it after a days work as the local grease monkey. Lead in paint. Prolly seen plenty of that in the Philly row house and then aboard ship. DDT came home on Daddy's clothes when he worked at Rhom and Haas. Oh yeah. Strontium 90 in the milk. Then there was vector control during the summer following the smog truck around, playing tag in the fog. Yeah. How ever did we manage to grow up and live far longer than anyone that came before?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #6

Can’t really imagine a time when you would shift through all nine gears.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:44 AM   #7

Thankfully, it is an automatic.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #8

Assuming the new 4 cylinder will replace the current 6 cylinder, wondering if will be enough motor for the Leisure Travel Van Unity. If anyone is at the Tampa show, I believe Leisure Travel Van is right next door to Mercedes. Would be great to hear from them regarding this issue. Thanks
Old 01-22-2022, 04:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Can’t really imagine a time when you would shift through all nine gears.
My new Bronco Sport has 8 gears, 4 cylinders and a turbo. Puts out over 220 HP. With the 9 gears you barely know it’s shifting. Obviously you only hit the upper ones on the highway.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #10

I'm not really interested unless the new motor burns biodiesel. I'm tired of passing through states where B20 is the only game in town, but my Sprinter manual clearly says no biodiesel above 5%.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
I'm not really interested unless the new motor burns biodiesel. I'm tired of passing through states where B20 is the only game in town, but my Sprinter manual clearly says no biodiesel above 5%.
What states have you had difficulty in? For me it's only been CA and now CA and the PNW are starting to expand on the new renewable "R99" which meets the standard for our Sprinters. We have not gone East yet but are wondering about the B20 that way.

By the way, you probably already know if you have to run B20 just change oil and change fuel filters more often and try to fill up with ULSD before storing. Maybe you've already been in on some of the discussions over at SprinterSource? I know I've seen you around on other forums.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #12

We had issues driving through Illinois, and as we were planning further adventures, we saw that Minnesota requires biodiesel as well.

Oh, and no, I don't know what you suggested regarding burning B20 in my Sprinter. The manual clearly says, "Don't use anything over B5. Do not." It says nothing about how I can get away with it if I play around with oil / filter changes or anything else. It says, "don't." So I try not to.

Your Sprinter, your money, do what you want, but I try really hard to do what the manufacturer tells me to do. It's a key reason why our next RV will not be in a Sprinter unless the new engine is specified to burn biodiesel, at least up to B20, in addition to regular diesel. Our unit's been fine so far, but I hate fretting about fuel this way. Gasoline is just so much easier. (sigh)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
We had issues driving through Illinois, and as we were planning further adventures, we saw that Minnesota requires biodiesel as well.

Oh, and no, I don't know what you suggested regarding burning B20 in my Sprinter. The manual clearly says, "Don't use anything over B5. Do not." It says nothing about how I can get away with it if I play around with oil / filter changes or anything else. It says, "don't." So I try not to.

Your Sprinter, your money, do what you want, but I try really hard to do what the manufacturer tells me to do. It's a key reason why our next RV will not be in a Sprinter unless the new engine is specified to burn biodiesel, at least up to B20, in addition to regular diesel. Our unit's been fine so far, but I hate fretting about fuel this way. Gasoline is just so much easier. (sigh)
You misunderstood me, I did not suggest the remedies make it OK to use B20, I said that if you have no choice but to use B20 there are things that Mercedes suggests you can do to minimize the detrimental effects. I go a long way to avoid B-20 and so far to my knowledge I have not purchased any, but in the event I am forced to use it I will certainly follow the Mercedes recommended actions and more. That is why I am curious as to where we might have no choice, which could be a reality with our relatively small tank. See below Mercedes recommendations for those in Minnesota where apparently B20 is unavoidable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B20.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	354553  
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #14

That's very helpful, thanks for sharing. Clearly, I did misunderstand you, and thanks for staying with it until I got the real point.

Up to now, I've had far too many people to tell me stop worrying and just burn B20 despite what the manual says, when I know MB doesn't support that idea. I notice MB does *not* suggest that a diesel fuel additive helps decrease the risk of issues caused by B20, which many folks have also suggested will prevent anything bad from happening. So, this is good info, and I thank you for it.

BTW, in Illinois, diesel pumps that don't just say "B20" typically have a sticker on them that says the fuel could be anywhere from B5 to B20, depending on what's in the underground tank right now. While in IL we spoke to a fuel buyer at a Philips 66 station, who said that from a state tax and pricing perspective, B10 is the sweet spot. Enough biodiesel to qualify for state tax breaks and sell profitably at a lower cost, but less costly for him than B20. So whenever he can, that's what he buys for his stations in IL.

Tags
motor, sprinter, transmission