Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #15

Cheap Li Installation

From above posts, I agree Thor could do a better job designing a system. However, that would increase the cost to build and the price charged.

Running A/C on 200 amp hours of Li batteries is a fools task. Boost the size of the bank to 400 amp hours at least. This of course requires addition of significant electronic devices in addition to the Li batteries themselves.

First, never charge batteries of different chemistry from the same charging source. So, lead acid chassis battery plus 200 amp hours of Li charged from alternator is a no no.

Li battery installation instructions almost always contain this warning. So Thor not installing a bridge circuit to the alternator is a cheap way to install Li.

This requires separation of charging profile. There are several electronic devices that do this. A B to B charger between alternator and Li battery bank is one of them. "Just a relay" is not enough.

You may get by with a 100 amp hour Li, but 300 or more can destroy an alternator and motor home electronics under conditions that happen from time to time, especially trying to run A/C on 200 amp hours. 200 amp hours is pushing the limits for a motor home. It may work for a travel trailer because of higher resistance in the wiring harness.

Li batteries have a built in battery management system (BMS). The BMS will disconnect without warning (most drop-in Li) when electrical parameters are exceed. The sudden disconnect while charging from an automotive alternator can generate extremely high voltage spikes on the chassis 12 volt system.

The high voltage can fry computers and other electronic devices. Protection devices are required for large Li banks. The chassis lead acid battery will dampen the effect, but bigger Li banks can overwhelm some systems.

Li batteries can fry an automotive alternator because they draw high charging current. A B to B charger can limit that overload.

See the following article for better understanding.
Lithium Battery Systems
https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-life...ated-consumer/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniesVan View Post
Hello - We just got our new Tellaro and are also having battery issues. The battery goes totally dead in about 24hrs even when hooked up to our house 15amp service. Nothing but refrigerator is turned on in the house. The solar doesnt seem to be doing anything. Has anyone found a solution for this? Anyone having issues charging with 15amps? Thank you!
Replied to your pm. From what you describe something is not working as it should. On 15 amp only, your charging is going to be somewhat limited. The generator should provide full charging ability however. The solar (190 watt) is low amp output so think of that as more like a "trickle" charger. On a sunny day, it will probably just provide enough power to keep the refrigerator going.
Make sure you have your master switch turned on. Also confirm your inverter is turned on because your charger is combined into that. The picture of the inverter controller in the first post of this thread shows the inverter turned on. Second shows it turned off. I found it a little tricky to get it to come on at first using the button on the controller. The "Balmar" gauge located just above the inverter controller should tell you if you are adding amps (+) to your house lithium batteries or you are consuming power from them (-). Keep in mind the way this is set up (if like mine) you are not charging your house batteries while driving the coach and running the engine. All house battery charging is done from the generator, shore power (preferably 30a) or solar which doesn't add a whole lot. And I personally would not bother running the air conditioner unless you have the generator powering it. At best you would only get about 1 hour of run time and totally deplete your two 100ah batteries. The system with the 3000 watt inverter will power the a/c but in my opinion is almost useless without having a dedicated alternator which Thor does not provide on this unless you have the upgraded 400 ah or 800ah batteries. Hope that helps.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
From above posts, I agree Thor could do a better job designing a system. However, that would increase the cost to build and the price charged.

Running A/C on 200 amp hours of Li batteries is a fools task. Boost the size of the bank to 400 amp hours at least. This of course requires addition of significant electronic devices in addition to the Li batteries themselves.

First, never charge batteries of different chemistry from the same charging source. So, lead acid chassis battery plus 200 amp hours of Li charged from alternator is a no no.

Li battery installation instructions almost always contain this warning. So Thor not installing a bridge circuit to the alternator is a cheap way to install Li.

This requires separation of charging profile. There are several electronic devices that do this. A B to B charger between alternator and Li battery bank is one of them. "Just a relay" is not enough.

You may get by with a 100 amp hour Li, but 300 or more can destroy an alternator and motor home electronics under conditions that happen from time to time, especially trying to run A/C on 200 amp hours. 200 amp hours is pushing the limits for a motor home. It may work for a travel trailer because of higher resistance in the wiring harness.

Li batteries have a built in battery management system (BMS). The BMS will disconnect without warning (most drop-in Li) when electrical parameters are exceed. The sudden disconnect while charging from an automotive alternator can generate extremely high voltage spikes on the chassis 12 volt system.

The high voltage can fry computers and other electronic devices. Protection devices are required for large Li banks. The chassis lead acid battery will dampen the effect, but bigger Li banks can overwhelm some systems.

Li batteries can fry an automotive alternator because they draw high charging current. A B to B charger can limit that overload.

See the following article for better understanding.
Lithium Battery Systems
https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-life...ated-consumer/
Thanks for the information! This system is totally different from our previous class A and am low on the "learning curve".
Old 05-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #18

Voltage Regulator? We will see.

Our Tellaro has been with LaMesa for a week now. I just received a call saying that they believe the issue with the electrical system is the voltage regulator. I am now waiting to hear when they can get this part - and then if it actually solves the problem. I wish I felt confident about this diagnosis. We will see.
denversm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by denversm View Post
Our Tellaro has been with LaMesa for a week now. I just received a call saying that they believe the issue with the electrical system is the voltage regulator. I am now waiting to hear when they can get this part - and then if it actually solves the problem. I wish I felt confident about this diagnosis. We will see.
I am assuming your vehicle does not have an Onan Gas Generator? We also have the 200ah lithium batteries but also have the Onan generator. Read your original post and ours does not charge the house batteries while running the engine because it is equipped with a generator. The ones that were shipped with the generator will not charge the house batteries unless using the generator, shore power, or solar. Thor did not add the second alternator to charge the house batteries from the coach engine if equipped that way. I found this out after a conversation with Thor's customer assistance line and realizing our coach batteries were not being charged while running the engine. Hope you get your problem fixed and know how aggravating this can be!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #20

any feedback on the alternator and the lithium battery charging ? I have issues and would appreciate any resolution information.
Also, There is a cap for water next to the SG200 in the coach. I can't find any info on that water port. Do you know what it is used for ?
Pigmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigmus View Post
any feedback on the alternator and the lithium battery charging ? I have issues and would appreciate any resolution information.
Also, There is a cap for water next to the SG200 in the coach. I can't find any info on that water port. Do you know what it is used for ?
LaMesa states the issue with our van is the voltage regulator. We are waiting for the part to arrive, which I'm told will be 2-3 weeks. I certainly hope this solves the problem, but my confidence meter is at about a 2. Of course, I'll update here.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
I am assuming your vehicle does not have an Onan Gas Generator? We also have the 200ah lithium batteries but also have the Onan generator. Read your original post and ours does not charge the house batteries while running the engine because it is equipped with a generator. The ones that were shipped with the generator will not charge the house batteries unless using the generator, shore power, or solar. Thor did not add the second alternator to charge the house batteries from the coach engine if equipped that way. I found this out after a conversation with Thor's customer assistance line and realizing our coach batteries were not being charged while running the engine. Hope you get your problem fixed and know how aggravating this can be!
No generator on our rig (Tellaro 20AT L). I suspect your setup was created because Thor was unable to get the battery-only system to work. It is amazing and disappointing how little information is known or shared about the systems being sold.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by denversm View Post
No generator on our rig (Tellaro 20AT L). I suspect your setup was created because Thor was unable to get the battery-only system to work. It is amazing and disappointing how little information is known or shared about the systems being sold.
Sorry you are having the problems and hopefully Thor will get this worked out and appears you are not alone. Certainly the dealers do not understand these systems and can only be relied upon to process paperwork and collect a commission check.

A friend of mine was looking to buy one like mine with Lithium Batteries and an Onan Generator. He called Thor and was advised the last one (Tellaro) made by Thor with a generator was manufactured October 2021. I wish mine would charge the batteries from the engine also so could charge while driving but am glad to have the generator as a backup to the 30 amp charging and solar. I was very surprised how quiet the small generator is and don't think would have a problem even using it during quiet hours but will have to keep up with the generator maintenance unlike the all electric system.

Don't really understand how the coach engine would be more efficient and more "green" if the coach "has" to be started to charge batteries when stationary but not much makes sense anymore when it comes to politics/government and technology. Guess I will stay "old school" (for as long as possible).
Old 06-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
There is a water drain on ours that has a cover on it below the SG200 on the same panel near the sliding door. I havn't yet taken the cover off but that could be what you are referring to if it does not have the cover on it?
Old 06-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Sorry you are having the problems and hopefully Thor will get this worked out and appears you are not alone. Certainly the dealers do not understand these systems and can only be relied upon to process paperwork and collect a commission check.

A friend of mine was looking to buy one like mine with Lithium Batteries and an Onan Generator. He called Thor and was advised the last one (Tellaro) made by Thor with a generator was manufactured October 2021. I wish mine would charge the batteries from the engine also so could charge while driving but am glad to have the generator as a backup to the 30 amp charging and solar. I was very surprised how quiet the small generator is and don't think would have a problem even using it during quiet hours but will have to keep up with the generator maintenance unlike the all electric system.

Don't really understand how the coach engine would be more efficient and more "green" if the coach "has" to be started to charge batteries when stationary but not much makes sense anymore when it comes to politics/government and technology. Guess I will stay "old school" (for as long as possible).

You can run genny to charge house batteries when driving. I do this when my bank is low and I want a full charge when driving.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #26

No, its not that. It has a screw cap on it... The caps say "Low Pressure Water"
Old 06-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #27

Quote:
No, its not that. It has a screw cap on it... The caps say "Low Pressure Water"
If u look under the mattress on the same side as the drain I previously mentioned and other monitor devices, there is a fill plug that is there to fill the fresh water tank using gravity instead of screwing in the hose on the side of the van. I suspect that is what you are referring to?
Old 06-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #28

Low Pressure Water Port

Quote:
If u look under the mattress on the same side as the drain I previously mentioned and other monitor devices, there is a fill plug that is there to fill the fresh water tank using gravity instead of screwing in the hose on the side of the van. I suspect that is what you are referring to?
Thank you for your response. That all makes sense and is helpful. I have a 20K so the mattress is on the opposite side of the monitor devices.

Tags
lithium, problem