Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

Thinking About Buying A Class B Camper Van

Hi all,

I'm intending to do some traveling around the US, and maybe Canada and Mexico as well.

Originally I was thinking about buying a truck, and a truck camper, but the cost of both added together looks like more than I'd want to spend.

I'm now thinking about a class B camper van, which seems like it would have the advantage of being less unwieldy as well.

In terms of what I'm looking for, I'd like all the things I'd need to survive: bed, kitchen, dining area, fridge and freezer, shower, toilet, and a heater and an AC. And I'd want to be able to use some electronic devices like a laptop. I'm thinking I could use a power inverter if I had to, and I may want to consider solar panels and batteries.

I've been looking at some older Ford Econoline based camper vans for sale. One I saw is supposedly in good condition, with a little over 80,000 miles, for $7,000. Another one will need some work, has a little over 280,000 miles, and is $2,000.

I have a spinal cord injury, so I'd have to hire somebody to help me do work on the van, but I may be able to hire somebody I know for a decent rate, and not have to pay a shop a large amount of money.

Using the 2 vans above as an example, what would be better, spending significantly more money for a van that's already in good shape, or hiring some relatively inexpensive help to assist me in restoring and/or remodeling a cheap van with a good foundation? I'm guessing it would depend, but let me know what your thoughts are.

Also, due to my injury, I think I'd need cruise control for longer drives. I know there are aftermarket cruise control parts for sale, but is it possible to install cruise control in any vehicle, even really old ones?

I'm more about function over form, so I don't need anything to be super luxurious, but I do want to buy something that will last as long as possible, and not fall apart and cause me headaches. That is, unless it's a really good deal, and can be fixed up to be in good condition with hired help, and will be a solid vehicle after that.

I understand that most RVs will require maintenance, and can have specific problems like delamination, wood rot etc. But since these class B campers are vans, does this mean there's less to worry about other than the vehicle maintenance? What should I know about maintaining, and repairing a class B camper van?

How much water and tank capacities will these vans have for 1 person? And would I not want to use the toilet? I've never dumped a tank in one of these before, so I don't know how nasty it would be.

Aside from the local Craigslist postings, where should I look for class B camper vans?

Anything else you can think of that I should know?

Thanks!
BreakAes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

This one is for sale at an RV lot near my home.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...238085263.html
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a class B for about 5 years and just sold it. A few things to consider:

- sleeping comfort. My wife had 3 back surgeries so I suspect with a spinal cord injury you'll want a comfortable and firm bed. Since class B's are small, you have to share space between your bed and probably eating area. So every night you'll need to transition from a daytime dinette use to a sleeping use. Cushions that serve well for sitting may not be optimal for sleeping. My wife HATED the cushions in our class B (hence it is sold) with her back.
- shower. A class b typically has a toilet space with a shower wand. You straddle the toilet to take a shower. No fun twisting around and God forbid you drop the soap...
- Tank capacity. As the B is small, so are the tanks. We tend to take the big Poland Spring square jugs for our drinking water so that tank water is saved for dishes, washing hands, etc. Dumping the tanks involves getting on your knees and hooking up a sewer hose and reaching under the RV to pull a valve. Again, consider your spine.
- My B was a 2002 and had cruise control.
- For a decent B, you'll have to expect to pay $15,000 or more. Mine was in top mechanical shape, no roofs leaks, about 48k miles, and sold to the first person who looked at it. Some used Roadtrek's go for $50k.

Since you can't do the work yourself, try to buy a coach that in top shape vs. one that your friend can fix cheap. Your friend won't be on the road with you when the next thing breaks - and you can bet something will break.

Driving and parking are great with a B. We also now have a small 24-foot class C so you can also consider those.

Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote