Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 08:44 PM   #1

Tire Pressure on Class B

I just purchased a 2023 PleasureWay Ascent. Before departing the dealership, I asked about tire pressure and they could only recommend look at the door sticker that says 52 psi front and 70 psi rear. Before departing, I checked the TPMS on the dash display and it said you cannot check the tire pressure until driving. After I left the dealer the TPMS read 65 psi front and 78 psi rear.

I contacted PleasureWay about how to read the tire pressures when cold and they told me to call Mercedes.

I called Mercedes and the person was clueless.

Questions

1. Can you check the tire pressure on the onboard TPMS when tires are cold and not driving?

2. Should I use reduce my tire pressures to the psi listed on the door sticker? Or, should I have the vehicle weighed? Most use will be just my wife and I with very little stored onboard.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't specifically know your RV, but if you have valve stems, you ought to be able to read each tire's pressure. For the moment, set your pressures to what your sticker says when your tires are cold (morning at ambient temp and before you drive on them). Next, get your tire manufacturer's recommended psi-to-weight chart to know what your inflation should be for the weight the front and rear tires are carrying. Then on your 1st trip when you are at your travel weight with a full tank of gas, get your RV weight at a CAT Scale so you know specially what your pressures need to be. Don't neglect maintaining proper tire inflation.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:27 PM   #3

Here is a followup on what I learned.

I had my PleasureWay Ascent weighed and based on the Michelin tire charts the air pressures should be

Front: 40 psi
Rear: 50 psi

The door post reads:

Front: 52
Rear: 70

The factory or the dealer had inflated my tires to

Front: 65
Rear: 78

I reduced the air pressure to the Mercedes door post of 52/70.

I called Mercedes and, strangely, there is no way to see the tire pressures on the TPMS while parked. You have to drive it to see the tire pressures. This does not make sense because you should read your tire pressures while the tire are cold and not after being driven.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post

I had my PleasureWay Ascent weighed and based on the Michelin tire charts the air pressures should be

Front: 40 psi
Rear: 50 psi

The door post reads:

The factory or the dealer had inflated my tires to

I called Mercedes and, strangely, there is no way to see the tire pressures on the TPMS while parked. You have to drive it to see the tire pressures. This does not make sense because you should read your tire pressures while the tire are cold and not after being driven.
The tire pressure sensors are inside each wheel. They are battery powered internally. In order for the batteries to last, the sensor is motion activated. So, there is no way to read tire pressure on the monitor until the wheels have rotated a short distance, activating the sensors. No need to warm up tires.

Your monitor is powered from the chassis battery. Motion activating the sensors gives them a battery life of up to 10 years. If they were constantly active, they would last 1-2 years. Replacement requires pulling all tires and at least breaking down the beads to access sensors.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post

I'm confused. (It happens often.) How do you air up your tires? And how did you read the pressure as you reduced it to 52/70? I'm obviously missing something here.

Looking at the Pleasure-Way manual, you can read/increase/lessen air pressure in your tires at the valve stem. Why do you have to read the pressures via your TPMS to properly set them for your travels? One other note, you are better off using a single, quality tire gage to consistently set your desired pressure across all your tires than relying on four different sensors to provide their independent assessments of tire pressure. TPMS should be used first and foremost as a warning tool for air pressure loss. I have a good TPMS on my MH, and none of them read the same no matter how I carefully set the pressures in each tire.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:23 PM   #6

When the vehicle was purchased last week, it had

I reduced the pressures to

And, it drives much better now.

Tags