Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Travato 59GL why so much, LTV Wonder

Been looking at RV's for a bit now and i always loved the LTV Wonder but i thought it would be cheaper to go with a standard class B as well as more stealth (only for me). But it appears they want just as much for a class B (Travato 59GL) as i would pay for what i see as a better RV in the LTV Wonder.

The lithium battery capacity of the Travato 59GL was something that sparked my interest in it as well as its winter capabilities. I really like the RV but for the price i would rather upgrade the Wonder to lithium.

At this point i am almost thinking of building my own RV, or going with one from Off Grid Adventures who make lithium RV's to order and for like 60k.

Thoughts on Travato 59GL and its Ram platform?

Any suggestions for a nice quality class B with plenty of power for frequent boon docking and winter usage?
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Doing more research the Travato 59GL is far superior to the LTV (though smaller). 30 amp in RV power that can run everything including AC for hours and hours. Even has winter capabilities.

Also appears they can be had for well under 100k.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #3

The Travato 59kl and gl have the volta power system. It includes a 8700W voltage and temperature controlled electric car grade battery pack (not LifePo4), 6000W second alternator, and 3600W converter/inverter. This is the best power system on the market. It's roughly a 20K option. In addition, the kl and gl have many other upgrades including dual pane acrylic windows, 200W MPPT controlled solar, Truma Combi and lots of other things. They retail for $120K+ so unlikely you can get one under $100K. If you get the base 59k or 59g you can easily get one for 85k or less. WRT the Leisure Wonder, your comparing apples to oranges (sort of). Travato is a B, Wonder if a B+. I love Leisures for their quality build, but they are technological dinosaurs.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

BTW, I open a 2017 Pleasure Way Lexor. The RAM platform is great. I like that it's gas, been averaging around 16 mpg. Very reliable so far, I have 24K miles on mine with no problems. The best thing is it's about it is it's approx 4 inches wider than the Sprinter and Transit which makes a huge difference in a Class B. Wife and I can pass in the center isle without a problem. Go to the Volta web site to check out their system. My next RV will have it unless something better comes along.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Great info.

I just love the TLV's, but the Travoto is hard to pass up especially since its only me.

The volta power system seems impressive and is very capable. Wonder if i could put one into an LTV?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #6

I'd say maybe. The Volta system is used on the Sprinter platform by Advanced RV and on the RAM platform by Winnebago, so I know it works on those. I'm not aware of anyone putting it on the Transit. The questions I'd have are can the second alternator fit under the Transit hood (probably) and would the battery pack fit in the Wonder's battery storage bay (probably not) or underneath (maybe)? And, after spending 110K+ on the Wonder, does it make sense to spend another 20K on the Volta? If you could pull down a used Wonder for a good price, adding the Volta may make sense. I looked at the Travato 59K in detail a few weeks ago. The fit and finish looked really good and it was packed with features. My only beefs with it are it has a small fridge and a flimsy folding bathroom door. The floorplans of the gl and kl don't work for me either, but if they work for you, go for it. Note the prices I saw ranged from $123K to $150K. I bet you could pull one down for just over $100K.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPER238 View Post
Great info.

I just love the TLV's, but the Travoto is hard to pass up especially since its only me.

The volta power system seems impressive and is very capable. Wonder if i could put one into an LTV?
We were at a dump station in Utah last spring with our new Wonder FTB. Next to us is the Travato. Naturally we all had something akin to RV envy as we looked at each other's rigs and chatted. I was finished doing our dump in about three minutes like I usually am while he dumped one tank then had to move the slinky to the other side of the van (I think I recall that correctly) and dump another tank. We talked for about 15 minutes since there wasn't anyone else waiting for the dump station. The entire time he was fooling around with the dumping. Hmmm.

I also peaked inside. Typical cramped, IMHO, interior, really, but I don't know that much about this sort of rig. When we had internet again I looked them up and scoped pricing and floorplans. The wife and I both agreed that for another $10K why wouldn't one want the convenience of the LTV FTB? Gotta say we could not figure it out.

There is a bit of difference, obviously, in the size. The Travato is narrower and probably shorter. But we've never thought our rig was too big. We park it at Safeway while shopping and drive it around town like its a big van. So is the Travato.

If you are going to go out in the wilderness and ride your bike or hike then the Travato is a bit better: smaller, better center of gravity, probably higher ground clearance, etc.

The sacrifice in space inside and convenience would be a hindrance on very long trips I would think especially with two people.

I'm sure the big RV show in PA would have both. I guess I would want to crawl all over both of them and try to "live" there in my mind before I bought one or the other.

I don't know about the quality of the Travato but I can tell you that the quality of the LTV is quite good. Quite good. 14K miles on ours with NO problems.

For those thinking about Transit vs. Sprinter: We've had both. Transit, hands down! If you read the sprinter-forum you quickly get the impression (at least I did) that the MB is a persnickety vehicle: don't do this, don't do that can't you read the signs persnickety. We never had any trouble with ours but I didn't need the drama anymore!

I upgraded the 12V electrical system in the Wonder. Added 400W of solar and Victron components. Did not switch to Lithium but did upgrade to dual Crown 6V batteries. Spent about $1200 on all of this and did it myself. Very clean and easy actually but I've done 10 or so solar installs on various RVs so know what I'm doing. If you end up with a Wonder I can help you by providing a link to my install. Plenty of room for Lithium if you want to go that route. Would have done that but know that the AH capacity of the Crowns is more than enough for our purposes.

Good luck with your ruminations on this. If you're thinking about RVing you're thinking right!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

The Wonder is significantly larger than the Travato, 25 feet versus 21 feet, that's why I said to ripper238 you're kinda comparing apples to oranges. There is also a big difference between the travato 59gl and the 59g. The g is their basic model and can be had in the $70s. The gl is their top of the line, loaded with technology (including a macerator), and probably can't be had for less than $100K. It also appears to be much better built than the g for some reason. For $40K+ more, the Wonder should be a much better RV than the 59g. At around the same price as the 59gl, the Wonder is a better built RV, but is technologically challenged. But again, we're trying to compare a class c to a class b. I love Leisure's, but I wish they come standard with at least 200W solar, 200ah lithium and a 2000W inverter with the option to add more. I like the new Unity rear lounge and will likely buy one in the future, but for now will stick with my Lexor.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #9

Jlo11111,

All good points and no disagreement from me. I'm glad LTV does not offer as standard their solar package and lithium. One can add/replace those two with relative ease and probably save something $3K in the process. LTV charge $1430 for their 200W system and it isn't good at all. Can't imagine what they would charge for two lithium batteries!

I do want them to upgrade to a 2000W inverter (something they've done in their Unity line). Replacing the stock 1000W with the 2000W would be difficult as there is barely room in the cabinet for it. I think it can be monkied in there but...

And yes, apples and oranges! Depends on ones needs.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

All really great info guys!

Ultimately a Wonder with the volta power system would be the best of all worlds, a shame its not an option. But as i mentioned its only me so the Wonder size is not necessary (though nice and i would love it).
From the start of my research i wanted true off grid capability's, to the point i was contemplating getting a Tesla power wall for the RV i decided on. I wouldn't buy a Travato 59g with out the volta power system. The GL also uses marine quality cabinetry and i would say its about as nice as LTV, just smaller.

Who knows maybe LTV will add it next year, but since the volta power system is like 30k it would dramatically bump the LTV's price.

The Ram ProMaster seems to be becoming more popular in the US and is used in the Travato 59gl, i decided against an RV with the Sprinter platform.

Thanks again for the detailed input.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The Travato dumps are in the normal place for an RV. Driver's side after the rear wheel. Two valves, one gray and one black dump into a combined outlet. Also has a hose connection on that side where you can connect and spray out the black water tank.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #12

I'm curious about the Travatos. If one were camping in hot(95F) weather with a full tank of gas, how many days could could you drycamp using AC and the fridge( not counting water, etc.) ? I.E. how long before you would need to fill the main gas tank?
tbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote