RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Using Class B Year-around

I've been into RVing for many,many years. We recently acquired our second Class B to use as a Covid 19 isolation vehicle when travelling to visit our kids. As such, I would like to use it year-around - but we live and travel in the New England area. My thinking is to go thru the normal winterizing procedure, by-passing the HWH and draining the water tank. Afterwards, I would fill the fresh water tank with 5 or 10 gals of RV anti-freeze to be used for flushing the toilet. Other fresh water needs would be provided by a portable water tank sitting near the kitchen sink. Waste water from the portable tank could be caught in our dish pan in the sink and simply thrown out the door. We do have heated tanks but they shouldn't be needed. The downside of this is, of course, the need to thoroughly flush the fresh water tank in the spring. Has anyone else done this before, or do you have any comments?
cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

Never put Anti-freeze in fresh water tank...it will take forever to get rid of it

"Waste water from the portable tank could be caught in our dish pan in the sink and simply thrown out the door. "
Grey waste water....is that allowed in New England States---just throwing it out the door?

Winterize the RV
Portable water tank... waste water used to flush toilet
Use the tank heaters
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

Last thing I would do is put RVAF in my fresh tank. Just use a jug of it to flush by pouring into the bowl, before/after.
The rest sounds plausible.
What year/make/model B van? Some are better at winter use than others.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Last thing I would do is put RVAF in my fresh tank. Just use a jug of it to flush by pouring into the bowl, before/after.
The rest sounds plausible.
What year/make/model B van? Some are better at winter use than others.
This is a 2007 R-Vision Town and Country B+. Your idea of simply using a jug of RVAF in the bathroom, rather than using the rigs fresh water tank, sounds good.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #5

We would not be using RV parks or any other public facilities in our travels. Most of our trips are less than one day's travel from our home - either staying overnight at our children's home or round- tripping from our own home. So, with respect to Old Bisquit's comment about "throwing the water out the door," it would generally be in my own yard or the kid's yards. I can assure you that, having enjoyed the RV lifestyle for over 55 years now, I'm well aware of campground etiquette.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #6

This subject brings up another question. Is the Thetford chemical additive for the black water tank compatible with RVAF? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be - but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has a definitive answer. I've often considered treating the black water tank after winterizing, just to keep it fresh over the winter.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

When we leave New England for Florida we usually stay have to stay winterized until the second night. We keep a gallon of RVAF in the bathroom for flushing and I dump a half gallon into the sink for the gray tank. We then leave a 2 gallon water jug with the built in spigot in the galley for washing and drinking. Once we de-winterize it is back to normal until April when we head home.

Re black tank additive, After switching from Class A's I stopped using any at all because in my current B I never felt the need. My guess it it would be fine to use with the RVAF.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker39 View Post
This subject brings up another question. Is the Thetford chemical additive for the black water tank compatible with RVAF? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be - but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has a definitive answer. I've often considered treating the black water tank after winterizing, just to keep it fresh over the winter.
I've never worried about mixing RVAF and tank treatment. It happens all the time. However, the tank treatment usually requires some amount of water added to make it work, so I wouldn't bother. Just winterize black and gray with the RVAF, and leave them alone. Swap the AF for TT in the Spring or in warmer climates.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

We are using our class b year around in Michigan. Currently winterized so we flush using rv antifreeze or cheaper yet...using window washer fluid rated to -20f. For water we just have water bottles for winter use.
AdamRG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b