Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Walk-on roof???

I recently purchased a Regency GT29T by Triple E. When Iwent up the ladder to survey the roof, I found, at the top of the ladder, a lable saying that one should not walk on the roof.

The question is, may I walk on the roof for cleaning and/or maintenance purposes?
diamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

All RV's are designed for access to the roof. Perhaps that is a previous owner label to prevent your finding out problems
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #3

CYA. The company isn't going to take a chance on you hiring your 375# neighbor to scrub the thing down.

And the RV doesn't care if you're up there to clean it, maintain the AC or save Western Civilization. If it can't hold you it can't hold you.

Second, if you step near one of the vents, for instance, you might crack the roof, and they aren't going to be responsible if they can avoid it.

Third, I always crawl around up there, to distribute the weight.

I think those notices are like the signs on the next to the top rung of a ladder. It's not the smartest thing to do to use it as a step, it will hold you, people do, people get hurt, and you're on your own.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

I walk on it slowly. Never had a problem. If yer not suppose to go up there, why is there a ladder? Must be a liability thing
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

I don't go on the roof very often, preferring to work on it from various places alongside, stading on a ladder. Obviously there are some things you can't check without actually going on (like a/c problems, TV antenna issues) that you can't reach otherwise.

My rig has a rubber roof and they're more susceptible to damage from walking on them, so I try to stay off it as much as possible. Plus, at my age, I'm not to keen on heights.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

At the last RV rally one of the reps told me that they no longer add ladders to some of their models. Why not? Because some of our customers don't belong on a ladder.

I have wondered why there are no obvious attach points for a safety harness. Particularly on rubber coated convex roofs where the owner's manual reads "roof material may be slippery". I can't help thinking about the vertical distance between my head and the concrete below.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I go up on my 5ers roof to clean it twice a year. But tread carefully
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #8

If a manufacture sells their units without a ladder it's to save them money and has nothing to do with them being concerned for your safety. I think by putting a sticker gives them a leg to stand on if you screw something up while up there. RV's aren't made like Mobile Homes , where the joist spacing doesn't allow walking everywhere. I my self don't use the supplied ladder any more and carry s telescoping one to get up in a emergency . One thing for is your better use all your common sense when up there for all kinds of reasons at any age. !! I spent my whole career building Freeway Bridges using ladders, walking beams etc but that doesn't mean I'm careless because that ground doesn't care who it stops.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
the sign is put there so the rv company doesn't have to take responsibility if you fall off the roof.
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Roof

Thank you all for your input. I guess the result is that I will tread lightly and be careful.
diamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
If a manufacture sells their units without a ladder it's to save them money and has nothing to do with them being concerned for your safety.
Absolutely right. The only reason would be to reduce the manufacturing cost by $100. I was able to squeeze the corner of a couch cushion on this new coach down to nothing in my fist. The foam inside was the consistency of a nerf ball. If they are willing to go cheap on something so obvious, where else have they cut corners? It would take less effort (labor cost) to install 100 screws instead of the usual and prudent 150. Thinner metal costs less. Some businesses come out of bankruptcy protection with a better appreciation of the need for quality products and customer service. Unfortunately, most just learn how to build cheaper products to balance the books.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamar View Post
Thank you all for your input. I guess the result is that I will tread lightly and be careful.
I couldn't help but notice your post, and I had to get my 2 cents in. I too just purchased a regency, and it was my understanding that the top is nothing but fiberglass. I am a pretty big guy, so I would feel uncomfortable getting on the roof of my vehicle, however, best I can tell you is, tread lightly.
hippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #13

One brand I looked at while shopping had a ladder with the warning sticker, I contacted the manufacturer about sitting on the roof at the races, he said NO, never, he said it is not designed to be walked on and would cause damage, suggested I have diamond plate aluminum sheeting layed down, I wrote that brand off my list,
the HMC I bought has factory non-skid walkways in the gelcoat from front to rear.

I had a Phoenix class C that had the warning stickers on the roof about 5' from the back, that was the only area intended for walking or storage, and if you tried sneaking past the forbidden zone you could feel it flexing and sinking.

Tags
roof