Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Well Built Motorhomes

I have reviewed manufacturer's specifications for BT Cruiser, Born Free, Holiday Rambler, Lazy Daze, Chinook, Pleasure Way, and others like Winnebago Aspect, and find these to be what seems are very well built Class B and Class C units at least according to their manufacturing processes. I know there must be others but these are the ones that I reviewed extensively. Most of what I am looking at advertised for sale are units manufactured in 2009 or earlier. So, have no idea of the quality of the manufacturing processes in later models or those that have been absorbed by Thor Industries. Does this evaluation sound about right or am I missing something?

Thanks for your assistance and expertise.

Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #2

The only brand you mention that made Class B van conversions prior to 2009 that I am aware, is Pleasure Way. The rest are small C class units. The "B+" is a unicorn, dreamt up by some dealers/manufacturers to make people think they're not buying a class C for reasons unknown.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The only brand you mention that made Class B van conversions prior to 2009 that I am aware, is Pleasure Way. The rest are small C class units. The "B+" is a unicorn, dreamt up by some dealers/manufacturers to make people think they're not buying a class C for reasons unknown.
Had to lump them together otherwise I would have had to use Class B and Class C forums with duplication. Since I'm talking about manufacturing processes I guess it would not matter whether class b or c.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #4

Good morning Floridastorm; Nothing like research! I own a class a Monaco and are very pleased with the build quality. One of the big reasons I bought it. In your line up of manufactures I see you mentioned Chinook. I live here in Wa. state and the Chinook's were built in Yakima Wa. On travels in the state I used to drive right by the plant next to the freeway through Yakima. I think the last year of manufacture was 2006, but not sure. I looked through many of them at local RV shows. These are very well constructed units. If you can find one, not a lot of them for sale, I would check them out. High quality fiberglass shell and high quality interior. Back in 2005 these units had a MSRP of close to $200K. Of course these older Chinook's don't have all the fancy electronics of the newer units today, but there are upgrades that can be done.

If I was to ever move out of my class a coach to something smaller I would consider a Chinook. Of course there are on Ford E350 or E450 chassis. Some Chevrolet chassis were used also. Go to RVTrade.com and check some of them out. These Chinook's still demand a high price if in good condition. All above is just my opinion. Have fun looking!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't say why you're looking at these or what you consider well built. Are you looking to buy a Class B/C from 2009 or older? What do you mean by well built? Good chassis/power pack or good interior fit and finish or both? There are a lot of great rigs out there that appeal to people for different reasons. Floorplan and power pack are set in stone, but just about anything else can be swapped for something newer or better or both. What do you have in mind?
Old 02-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #6

Dave-

Of the ones you mention in your first post, the following Class B or C units are still made in 2022:

Lazy Daze
Pleasure Way
Winnebago

and the following stopped making Class B or C units or went out of business after the 2008-9 recession:

Born Free

As to the others, I can't say.

I owned a 1997 Lazy Daze for three years. It was well built. Lazy Daze coaches have (as most do) their shortcomings, such as the need to frequently inspect and reseal (if needed) around the roof seams and window openings, to prevent water from getting to the wooden "house" structure.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:58 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Split the difference with a Class B+ Phoenix Cruiser. https://www.phoenixusarv.com/
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
Had to lump them together otherwise I would have had to use Class B and Class C forums with duplication. Since I'm talking about manufacturing processes I guess it would not matter whether class b or c.
Actually, there is a huge difference between manufacturing processes of a B vs a C.

A B has the OEM body shell from the auto manufacturer - Chevy van or Sprinter, in general. The exterior of the motorhome was produced by the chassis manufacturer and is integral to the vehicle.

A C is built on a cutaway chassis (as is the marketing-termed "B+", which is just a small C). The entire house (sidewalls, roof, rear cap) is fabricated by the RV manufacturer and the house and chassis are joined.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #9

My #1 reason for buying a Pleasure Way is that they are the only Class B and C manufacturer that offers a 5 yr. warranty to the original buyer. Even if I was buying used, a Pleasure Way would have the quality even though the warranty doesn't transfer to a new owner if under the 5 yr. window.

There are several PW manufacturing video's to show the process and every 'up-fitter' has to be approved by the chassis maker...... ie: Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes