Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #1

What would you do?

Over a year ago I took my RoadTrek to a Dealer that sold RT's but I did not buy from them as they where in another state. I had a problem with the batteries all 4. They contacted RT and got an authorization to do the work. RT sent them the 4 batteries to replace the bad ones. The work took all day and everything came out fine. There was no cost to me as it was under warranty. Two year old RT.
I get a call today from that dealer and they are sending me the bill saying RT did not reimburse them for the work. So I owe them $2,000.00.
I feel bad for the dealer. When I picked up the vehicle after the work was done, the Warranty Service Adviser said no cost to you everything is under warranty.

I asked the person who called me today why did they wait so long to try and get reimbursed since it has been over a year ago that the work has been done.
He said they have been trying. I told him that when I picked up the RT, I told the WSA that RT was having problems. He stated no worry we have a good relationship with RT as we sell a lot of them.

Maybe I can work with the dealer and see it they will take half of the cost.

This suck to happen right now for us.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't think I would be that quick to pay them or even negotiate a lower bill. Especially considering that you told them in advance that RT may be having trouble. Have you tried reaching out to RT?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

They contacted RT and got an authorization to do the work. RT sent them the 4 batteries to replace the bad ones. The work took all day and everything came out fine. There was no cost to me as it was under warranty. Two year old RT.

Dealers problem...........NOT YOURS!

Do not agree to any settlement, billing or sign anything.
Dealer should have documentation of the 'authorization' from RT.
Dealer should also have proof that RT sent the 4 new batteries and they didn't just purchase them W/O authorization
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

I would also contact Roadtrek and ask them what the timeline was for the dealership to ask for reimbursement. Maybe it sat around on someone's desk and they never followed through with the claim.

Usually, when there's a warranty claim the dealership can get in touch with a company representative and they will get the work authorization to proceed.

And, it does seem unfair to release the vehicle to you and tell you there's no charge and contact you a year later...if I'm understanding that to be the case.

I suppose if you were "satisfied" that the dealership made an honest mistake and you felt generous, you could offer to pay for one half of the wholesale price for the batteries to make it a softer landing for each of you.... I wouldn't recommend paying one half retail price because there's such a big markup on all products.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Don't think I would be that quick to pay them or even negotiate a lower bill. Especially considering that you told them in advance that RT may be having trouble. Have you tried reaching out to RT?
When he called me yesterday he said if I pay them I can then try to get reimbursement from RT. He would give me the contact person at RT. He called today and said he does not have that persons email anymore or RT changed those email addresses.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #6

The dealer got the authorization from RT on the day I bought it in to find the problem. The WSA told me he would call me as soon as the batteries came in.
I waited two days and called RT parts department. They told me RT send the 4 batteries out to the dealer. Four days later the batteries arrived and the WSA called me and told me to bring in the RV. Bought it in at 8 AM and they where done by 4:30 PM, drove it home.
I would think that RT sent the batteries to the dealer under warranty so why would the dealer have to pay for the batteries.

Once I receive the bill in the mail I will try to contact RT and ask them if I pay the dealer will RT reimburse me.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

You had no contract with them involving you paying the bill. If they sued you for this, they'd have no contract claim (unless your paperwork specifically said that if RT failed to reimburse, you would pick up the bill. Might want to doublecheck that part.)

Anything you pay them now, I think you do only out of generosity.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #8

$2000 to install 4 batteries?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #9

What would I do? I'd drop this on my attorney and let her do the work. $150 would make this go away.

Between when you had the work done and today, RT was purchased Groupe Rapido. My guess is either the paperwork they inherited is inconclusive or they can't find the warranty authorization and want the dealer to pay for the batteries and freight.

Either way you are *unlikely* to be obligated to the dealer but you'll need to find the paperwork that shows it was a warranty service to you. The downside is they may file a mechanic's lien against your RT and that's why I think it would be worth a hour of attorney time to find out if you're absolved, and for the lawyer to write a nice letter to the dealer explaining that you'll not be sending a cheque.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

I would get RTs approval to pay first before I committed to pay them.

What ever RT pays, indorse it over to them.

You have to wonder if the bad batteries were sent to RT for inspection.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #11

"Either way you are *unlikely* to be obligated to the dealer but you'll need to find the paperwork that shows it was a warranty service to you."

More importantly, the dealership is going to have to find paperwork that shows they have a contract with the OP for payment for the repairs.

And, I don't know in what state this occurred, but the dealership may be past the legal sue-by date. In some states, it's one year from the date the bill became due.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #12

Hate to ask, but did the dealer give you any paperwork when you picked up your RV after the fix.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
Hate to ask, but did the dealer give you any paperwork when you picked up your RV after the fix.
To be honest I do not remember. The RV is in Storage so will have to go check and see if I have any paper work.
The dealer is in the State of WA.

I going to email the WSA. He was the one I dealt with. Not sure if they are working with the shelter in thing.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No way would I pay. Thats the dealership's problem.
I assume you signed for the vehicle when you left. The bill most likely said no charge or covered under warranty...

It sounds like someone dropped the ball, not your fault.
That is what a warranty is for......
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote