Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post
maybe my questions was too vague

Why are class B so expensive compared to smaller class A? How can a class B be sooo much more than a 30' class A from what I can see on RV Trader
Packaging and ease of driving and parking.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #30

Most people's priorities change over time too. When we were young parents with two kids we wouldn't have camped in a van and we couldn't have afforded a Class B even if we'd have all fit. I also had more energy for the constant maintenance of an assembly line built RV. Now that we're older, financially in better shape, and our kids are out of the house the price of a Class B isn't such a big deal and the size works better for us.

It's kind of like houses. In our area most new houses are tract built McMansions built with price per square foot as the primary consideration. Young adults just starting out with kids and lower disposable incomes value space and low cost over quality. Retirees in my area tend to build smaller custom homes built by skilled craftsman with top of the line materials, appliances, and worksmanship. Large square footage isn't a priority.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #31
Community Moderator

We watch an older couple on YouTube travel in a Pleasureway class B. They only travel for a couple of weeks MAX in this tiny space. They also spends LOTS of money replacing, and buying things which are smaller, double purpose, etc to fit and use in such a tiny space.

My take on why they like it boils down to two things….. it fits in their California driveway when at home…..and they are avid hikers and like to go to out of the way spots and boondock a lot.

We are basically full-time, so class B would NEVER work for that, and I would say that we can go almost anywhere in our car we tow behind the motorhome. I had a crazy idea to tow the class B BEHIND the motorhome and have the best of both worlds ! [emoji23][emoji12]
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
We watch an older couple on YouTube travel in a Pleasureway class B. They only travel for a couple of weeks MAX in this tiny space. They also spends LOTS of money replacing, and buying things which are smaller, double purpose, etc to fit and use in such a tiny space.

My take on why they like it boils down to two things….. it fits in their California driveway when at home…..and they are avid hikers and like to go to out of the way spots and boondock a lot.

We are basically full-time, so class B would NEVER work for that, and I would say that we can go almost anywhere in our car we tow behind the motorhome. I had a crazy idea to tow the class B BEHIND the motorhome and have the best of both worlds ! [emoji23][emoji12]
I don’t think that’s such a crazy idea. I’ve often thought the same thing and I’ve seen a few in use as a toad in my travels. Just park the big rig and take the little one exploring for a few days. Serve double purpose as a toad and a short term touring vehicle. I‘d just need a bigger coach first. I’m also wondering if the 4x4 chassis have a transfer case with a neutral for towing?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I don’t think that’s such a crazy idea. I’ve often thought the same thing and I’ve seen a few in use as a toad in my travels. Just park the big rig and take the little one exploring for a few days. Serve double purpose as a toad and a short term touring vehicle. I‘d just need a bigger coach first. I’m also wondering if the 4x4 chassis have a transfer case with a neutral for towing?
I could definitely see aB getting towed behind a class A or Super C
Old 08-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #34

Oh, c'mon now, we just spent roughly three months camping in our Class B van. It was fine. We were happy to get home again and stretch out by the end, but the two of us and our 65 pound dog made it work just fine. We love not worrying about the trailer, we love being as narrow as a conventional vehicle, and we love that our van is so much shorter than our previous truck / trailer rig. We're happy. That said, if Class B camping isn't for you, that's fine. Go get whatever makes you happy at the price you're comfortable paying, and then we'll all be happy together.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #35

I own a custom class B and can only echo the other comments about supply and demand, because I don't see any other reason except perhaps that they might be more labor intensive, with fewer mass produced parts.
At least once a week someone asks if l'll sell mine.
You didn't ask why people are willing to buy them vs bigger, less expensive rigs, so I won't get into that, but the differences are many.
That Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #36

B's Cost As Much As A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post
I don't understand why class B units are so expensive????
Newer innovations are usually expensive at first but then come down in price with expanded production and competition. Look at flat screen TV's. They started out in the thousands.

Still, some of the new B's, like the Mercedes, still contain as many appliances as the big ones. Some also feature advances like lithium batteries, solar generation and advanced cabin electronics and cameras.

But considering they don't contain as much material, and add to that other auto manufacturers are starting to build them, one would think they would become less expensive than C's in time.
hikerjohn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #37

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
Oh, c'mon now, we just spent roughly three months camping in our Class B van. It was fine. We were happy to get home again and stretch out by the end, but the two of us and our 65 pound dog made it work just fine. We love not worrying about the trailer, we love being as narrow as a conventional vehicle, and we love that our van is so much shorter than our previous truck / trailer rig. We're happy. That said, if Class B camping isn't for you, that's fine. Go get whatever makes you happy at the price you're comfortable paying, and then we'll all be happy together.
Rocinante, not sure we could do 3 months, but at age 78, I'm certainly thinking of downsizing from our 36' class A. Are there any Forums dedicated to those who have downsized to a Class B? I'd sure like to read about the experiences of those who did.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #38

Coastal Campers
Class B owner wanna be

We sold our 2013 B+ in March for what I thought was a good price. The new owner posted it for sale recently, after 4 months of ownership, with about 4K more miles on it for about 12% more than we sold it to them for. I thought it needed tires, he didn't. Other than that, it just needed an oil change.
As soon as we sold it, I thought we should replace it with a trailer or Class B. I came upon a NICE class B nearby listed by an individual at a GREAT price. Mrs thought the 2 year old Coachmen might have been neglected so it was passed by, even though it was priced $10K below others. Man, did we miss a great deal!
Now, five months later, we're still looking. Hoping that in a couple more months, people fell out of love with their Class B and let it go at reasonable prices. I'm afraid that buying a new or used Class B from a dealer could be our only option. Individuals have a hard time changing their minds, but dealers have a better feel for the market.
Roadyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #39

class B why?

build one you ll see real quick

curved walls small space to work in

cram everything of a class A into a van frame yup not easy i know i built one and owned van conversion A, B, C and custom built bus

space my friend space$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that is why
RICKGEES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #40

Loads of them are built on Mercedes-Benz platforms, so start off your pricing with a huge up-tick in cost. Dealers tell me they're so expensive because their designers have to do so much work to get so much into such a small space. I call B.S. on that, since RV designers have been doing that for a hundred years; it costs no more to design efficiency in a Class B than a Class A or C or fifth wheel or TT. Put it down to size, or put it down to people wanting to keep up with the Joneses, or people wanting the latest & greatest right now, instead of sacrificing their ego and buying an older unit to save $40K in depreciation over the following four years. B's are too small for my current life style, and far too expensive. Check with me in ten years.
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Class B cost

I had watched a video and it explained that Class B's tend to be more expensive because they are pretty labor intensive to put together. They are more of a custom build. Time is money.
dsisemore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #42

Why are class b so expensive

A Class B has the same facilities as a class A but they must be built for a more confined space. Anytime you are working in a small space the labor is usually more there are more fittings and tanks, heater, water heater all must be fitted and plumbed the same as a large coach. But I do not ageee with some of the astronomical prices.
oldvette is offline   Reply With Quote