Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Boldt?

Hi folks,

Any one here with personal experiences (good or bad) with the Winnebago Boldt? Thinking of the 70KL model, and mostly just interested in your experience with the quality of the build, the lithium ion battery system, and the new MB Sprinter chassis that this is built on.

Thanks much!

dw
davidwattsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwattsjr View Post
Hi folks,

Any one here with personal experiences (good or bad) with the Winnebago Boldt? Thinking of the 70KL model, and mostly just interested in your experience with the quality of the build, the lithium ion battery system, and the new MB Sprinter chassis that this is built on.

Thanks much!

dw
No experience with the Boldt, but the VS30 chassis has had a few issues. I get the NHTSA weekly digest of recalls, and post the Sprinter related ones on another forum.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...hp?forums/217/
Old 08-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

thank you! Very helpful.
davidwattsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #4

Only thing I would worry about is not having a generator. We don't use our generator very often but when needed it is wonderful. Other than that it looks very nice.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

We are new owners of a Boldt KL. So far, have only driven it home, though that was an 1100 mile trip. Drives and handles very well. We are pleased with the 19.5 mpg. HOWEVER, we are not pleased with the 3 issues that will warranty work. The awning doesn't work (and we never used it on trip home), the sliding door randomly malfunctions & there is an error reading on the control panel. Very disappointing given the price paid. Just hopeful the warranty work goes smoothly.
kevmarmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmarmcc View Post
We are new owners of a Boldt KL. So far, have only driven it home, though that was an 1100 mile trip. Drives and handles very well. We are pleased with the 19.5 mpg. HOWEVER, we are not pleased with the 3 issues that will warranty work. The awning doesn't work (and we never used it on trip home), the sliding door randomly malfunctions & there is an error reading on the control panel. Very disappointing given the price paid. Just hopeful the warranty work goes smoothly.

Congratulations on your new MH
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmarmcc View Post
Have the issues on your Boldt been resolved
Delta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Wink

For David:

We have owned our Boldt for just over 6 months now. Overall, we are very happy with it. It handles/drives like a dream. The space works for us and one 50 pound dog just fine. With the battery setup, we don't feel the lack of generator. Given that, we have not boondocked in hot weather that would require the a/c overnight. We've boondocked 3 nights no problem at all.

Our main issue is how long it is taking to handle a warranty issue. We've had problems with the sliding door not working well almost from day one. This issue is handled by Mercedes Benz (anything related to chassis is MB not Winnebago-anything related to the "camper box" is handled by Winnie.) It has been something of a time nightmare. It was in the MB shop twice, still not fixed. Third time, they took the door apart and it then had to go to Winnebago to take cabinets out to get to more of the inside workings, then back to MB, now hopefully back to Winnie, then back to MB!! So annoying, but not sure who to be annoyed with--MB or Winnebago: Given the number of sprinter vans on the road in our area, I think it ends up sitting at MB for days at a time, until we call to complain, then it gets back to the techs.
Other than that, it's been great. Feel free to inquire if you have specific questions!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

Warranty work on Boldt

For Delta123:

All the warranty work, except for the sliding door, was handled quickly and well. The sliding door problem has been annoying, but thankfully came up when we wouldn't have been using it anyway. We expect to get it back within the week (after about 5 weeks of them going back and forth between Mercedes Benz shop and Winnebago.) Surely hope it's truly done this time. Otherwise, the unit fits us very well. We had several 2-3 day trips and one that was a week long. Overall, very happy with it.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #10

[QUOTE=davidwattsjr;5384452]Hi folks,

Thanks much!

David, did you end up with a Boldt? We are 1.5 years in and enjoy ours immensely. The Sprinter will always have relatively minor issues, and "service campaigns", but the driving experience and safety features are worth it for us. The Winnebago side is solid. One recall for a replacement tank heater wire harness, completed in less than an hour, and excellent customer support.
babyfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:21 AM   #11

Hello Boldt folks - I'm a newbie - will be first-time RVing and doing long runs of full time... And I am leaning towards a 2020 Boldt - maybe a 22 or 23 if I can get prices down from sellers.
I'm wondering if any of you who have had your Boldt for years - used it in varied environments - and formed solid opinions about it - would mind giving a sort of "status report" of your long term usage?
I had been all set to buy a Storyteller Stealth - and then buy another van over in Europe - and spend the rest of my days living that way - with an effort to gain permanent resident status in Germany, Denmark or The Netherlands.
Then a NY appeals court stole $505K from me in July of last year and a verdict I had won at trial in 2019.
Now I'll be lucky to get a used van that's good enough to not leave me stranded more often than not.
The Boldt and the Coachman Nova are the only american models that appeal to me at all - largely for their lithium systems and for having acrylic awning style windows - as opposed to being so exposed with factory glass all around a van.
They're similar enough to each other - with the MB versus ProMaster chassis being the true difference - and I could go either way and have a solid pro/con list for each. I'm favoring MB for the reason that I hope to be able to ship it to Europe eventually. ProMaster parts & service would surely be risky over there.
So...
If any of you are willing to tell the whole tale on your Boldt experience it would mean a lot to me. I expect to be buying before the summer heat hits.
Thanks in advance for your valuable real world reporting.
Eric aka CatVanDude
CatVanDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago