Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

"Winterizing" RV when parked for a while on a trip.

Hello.
I am planning on travelling across Canada this winter, then driving back to the west coast along the northern US. I may well stop and take some two or three day hikes into the park areas on snowshoes if necessary. When I get back I'd like to take a hot shower, and so on.

Is there a way to keep that water from freezing in the lines and tank which doesn't draw too much electricity? I think I'd be boondocking, not near shore power.

Salt would work, but the water would no longer be potable. Is there a way to do this?
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Do it safe, run rv antifreeze through the unit. Safe is better than sorry.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Can you drink that, though? You just gave me a thought. Carry water in jugs, enough to last until you can put some in the tank, and drain the tank, leaving a little antifreeze in the lines.

Thanks a lot. Wouldn't have thought of that without you.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Antifreeze is non toxic. But pry not recommended to drink.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only boondock for 2 o3 3 days at a time, so this might not be your answer.
In the winter I keep water in clear plastic 2 quart jugs (stored in the refrig).
Your desire to use the shower might be a pain - when you winterize you drain the HWH, bypass it, and run RV pink through the lines. Based on this:
Maybe heat some water on the stove and take generous wash cloth baths would work for you?
If/when you need a real shower, stop at a campground for a night (or truck stop).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Thanks. I should have explained better. Assume I am parking my RV in 0 F conditions for 2 or 3 days while I take off snowshoeing in the backcountry. I don't really want to "winterize" it, as when I get back I'm gonna want to clean up and have a hot meal.

Would the most reasonable thing to do be to leave the furnace on at about 50 F? Would that keep all the tanks and lines above freezing? Will that drain 4 gallons of LPG in that time? Come to think of it, 3 days of keeping the RV thawed would be worth the price of 4 gallons, if it would do it. That's assuming one could have either the main or auxillary tank available.

And would the tank "work" at those temperatures? I've had propane canisters freeze to the point of uselessness on mountains.

Here's hoping someone with cold weather experience will share. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a coach similar to this one it says a 7.9 LP tank will give you 57 hours of heat, I would guess at 70*.
The plumbing system is good to 50* below but would guess with furnase running.
Than you have to consider you want a hot shower use of more LP.
A three day walk is cutting it close.
May need a Motel for the shower and winterize the coach to be safe.

OR MAYBE THIS MIGHT SUITE YOU
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #8

Two weeks ago, I bought my first DP. It is a 2007 Country Coach. I was told it has a basement furnace. It will be stored inside a 14' x 60' inside storage unit (not heated) when not in use in Bowling Green, Ky. If I keep it plugged up and set the furnace at 55 deg. , is it necessary to winterize it ?
Haleyjean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Assume I am parking my RV in 0 F conditions for 2 or 3 days while I take off snowshoeing in the backcountry.
0 degrees is really cold! In my Fleetwood Discovery when it got down to 0 to -5 F the metal wall struts in the inside would frost up and even with the propane furnace going it never got really warm inside without a electric heater going also. I also had light bulbs on inside the water compartment to provide extra heat for the tank and lines. Heat tape on sewer pipe (ever see frozen poop?). If you have a heated basement, then leaving the RV at 50 degrees would probably not supply enough heat to the basement.

If I was going to leave her for a few days I believe I would blow out the lines and possibly run some RV stuff through it. What would happen if the furnace shut down while you were gone? Ran out of gas? The freeze up of everything would ruin your day!

I would love to hear about your trip. Sounds like a dream hike to me! Let us know what you decide and the outcome, OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 Hayleyjean50.
Congrats on your first RV many safe miles ahead.
As long as you have full LP tank and building is vented to get rid of exhaust from burner your coach should be OK.
If you have a furnace that sends heat to basement compartments thats a plus and you can open your kitchen cabinets for heat to get under them for plumbing.
You will always be ready for those winter camping trips.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleyjean50 View Post
Two weeks ago, I bought my first DP. It is a 2007 Country Coach. I was told it has a basement furnace. It will be stored inside a 14' x 60' inside storage unit (not heated) when not in use in Bowling Green, Ky. If I keep it plugged up and set the furnace at 55 deg. , is it necessary to winterize it ?

Why not winterize it? It can get down to 0 here in the Blue Grass State and freezing the water pump, or the water heater would not be a good thing. I would worry about the electricity going off for a week like it did during the Ice storm during 2009. If it was me, I would blow out the lines/tanks and place antifreeze in the traps. Then if you want to jump into her and take off snow skiing somewhere, "no Problem Man" just load her up and go.

What do you think?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

I forgot to say Haleyjean50