Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #1

Would this loading concern you?

My rig handles fine, its been loaded this way since mile zero more or less, but since I weighed it I'm wondering it the front axle loading is an issue.

From Daimler sticker -

GVWR - 11030
GAWR Front - 4080
GAWR Rear - 7720

Weight with me (no wife), full 20G fresh tank, full gas tank, empty 20G grey, empty 20G black -

Gross - 9880 / 11030

Front Axle - 3960 / 4080

Rear Axle - 5920 / 7720

The holding tanks are on the driver side, about midway down the van, so I guess they are distributed about equally front and rear. I think 150lbs for my wife and the stuff she brings with her up front is a good estimate for additional mission-mode front axle loading. So I'm usually driving at load to possibly 50lbs or so overload on the front axle.

If I should be concerned, I can probably move 20-30 lbs of stuff in above-front-seats storage to the rear and try to only put clothes and toilet paper up there instead. That would be a pain when it comes to accessing the camp stove and grill I have stowed up there now, though, and its a pretty minor difference. I'm not sure there is much meaningful I can do no matter how concerned I should be.

I am not worried about it, just thought I'd ask for more experienced opinions.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

You could drop around 80lbs of weight by running with a half full fresh water tank. Top it up as needed, or when you get closer to your destination.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep you are right on top of that weight.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #4

Appreciate the suggestion - the fresh tank is right on the rear axle, so that won't help. I mentioned the tank status thinking folks might ask if I didn't.

I guess if its on my mind enough to post about it, its worth moving a few things to the back!
Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSaxton View Post
My rig handles fine, its been loaded this way since mile zero more or less, but since I weighed it I'm wondering it the front axle loading is an issue.

Weight with me (no wife), full 20G fresh tank, full gas tank, empty 20G grey, empty 20G black -

Gross - 9880 / 11030

Front Axle - 3960 / 4080

Rear Axle - 5920 / 7720

I am not worried about it, just thought I'd ask for more experienced opinions.
You have once again identified the common problem in the RV industry. Many manufacturers save a few bucks by delivering vehicles that are overloaded in normal use. The Sprinter is available with a front axle that can handle your loads. It is a $300 option.

From the Sprinter Equipment Book:
Option A50 Front Axle Reinforced
"The code A50 includes an increased load capacity of the front axle, heavier bodies and equipment can be fitted. The higher-capacity front axle caters for heavier cabs and heavy special. On all 3500 vehicles with gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,990 pounds (9,900 Ibs for Canada) and 11,030 pounds, the front gross axle weight rating (GAWR) is increased from the standard 4,080 lbs. to 4,410 lbs. On the 4500 vehicles with gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 12,125 pounds the front axle weight rating (GAWR) is increased to 4,630 pounds.
Benefits: Allows for heavier equipment that impose a greater strain on the front axle. Cabs can be made heavier and optioned with special equipment."

My Airstream Interstate has this option. Who made your B-Van?

Fortunately the engineering margins built into most vehicles can handle this over load without serious issues. The only time you might have a problem is if you are involved in a serious accident that causes someone to investigate, discovering your overload and then try to blame the accident on your overloaded front axle.

If your van was a commercial vehicle it would get ticketed at the first weight station that measured the overload. But RVs are exempt from such enforcement in USA - so there are many overload RVs driving our highways.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #6

I ordered the van myself and an upfitter did the build. I thought I had selected every weight increasing option, looks like I missed that one or at the time I didn't realize front axle loading per se might be a 'thing'.

I'll decline to name the upfitter - I'm not looking to make a complaint. I'm not sure its reasonable to expect them to be able to predict the axle loading precisely when every build they do is different and as delivered the van is not overweight, and if its empty of all my cargo its going to have more margin than I am seeing right now fully loaded (less one wife, that is).

Thanks for pointing out the available axle option, though - I doubt I'll ever do another class B build, but one never knows.