Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Your Class B RV budget?

How much do you allocate monthly on your Class B??

I asked a similar question and got responses like $42,000.... which I presume is a Class A.....

Let's hear from you Class B owners.... please.

And, please include whether or not you do all of your own work .....
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

I don't think B owners usually allocate repair funds monthly in advance, because the repair would have to be something really major for pre-allocated funds to help much. Like an engine rebuild/replacement, or transmission rebuild/replacement, and you're not going to be anywhere near $42,000 for that (which was annually, by Mr. D in his DP, in your first posting of this question) in a B van.
The most I ever spent in one shot on the Roadtrek was probably tires, or when I had the fuel pump replaced, or the intake manifold gasket replaced (thanks Dexcool). Think I paid around US$500 for a new alternator installed in 2015. Never more than C$2000 on any one visit to the repair shops.
Anything that's more expensive than that, and you might be better off trying to sell it or make an insurance claim because if it's depreciated enough, and the value to you isn't worth the cost of repairs, you might as well get rid, and move on.
I'm driving a C now, and I don't have a repair fund, although some choose to keep and build one up. It's a personal choice. I think most people just do the repairs as they occur and pay the price.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

You probably didn't notice what I spent on repairs in the last 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I don't think B owners usually allocate repair funds monthly in advance, because the repair would have to be something really major for pre-allocated funds to help much. Like an engine rebuild/replacement, or transmission rebuild/replacement, and you're not going to be anywhere near $42,000 for that (which was annually, by Mr. D in his DP, in your first posting of this question) in a B van.
The most I ever spent in one shot on the Roadtrek was probably tires, or when I had the fuel pump replaced, or the intake manifold gasket replaced (thanks Dexcool). Think I paid around US$500 for a new alternator installed in 2015. Never more than C$2000 on any one visit to the repair shops.
Anything that's more expensive than that, and you might be better off trying to sell it or make an insurance claim because if it's depreciated enough, and the value to you isn't worth the cost of repairs, you might as well get rid, and move on.
I'm driving a C now, and I don't have a repair fund, although some choose to keep and build one up. It's a personal choice. I think most people just do the repairs as they occur and pay the price.
I spent just over $10k in the last 12 months..... expensive replacements. It happens.

And, no, it's not even close to being the value of my RV.

Insurance claim? I don't know what you are referring to unless you have an extended warranty.. I think that the extended warranties are useless.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
How much do you allocate monthly on your Class B??

I asked a similar question and got responses like $42,000.... which I presume is a Class A.....

Let's hear from you Class B owners.... please.

And, please include whether or not you do all of your own work .....
Your question was as stated above. I told you how much I spent on repairs on my van per repair. Sorry it wasn't broken down by monthly expenditures, but I've never tracked that. I doubt many other class B owners have either, based on the number or replies this question has received.
p.s. I didn't do any of it myself.

The fact that you've spent $10,000 versus my, maybe $3000 in any one year, makes no difference to my original answer which was
"I don't think B owners usually allocate repair funds monthly in advance, because the repair would have to be something really major for pre-allocated funds to help much."

The insurance claim comment was in response to how much you said you spent on your van, if the amount you've spent is more than you wanted to spend.
Yes, stuff happens, and it sounded like the repair costs are more than you can afford, so I was suggesting you should sell up, or otherwise write off your van, and move on.
What did you spend $10,000 on in one year? That was info mentioned in your other posting of the same question, btw.
What year/make/model do you have?
Posting up your vehicle info, up front, helps people make better suggestions regarding your problems.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #5

Clarification

[QUOTE=Winterbagoal;4982647]Your question was as stated above. I told you how much I spent on repairs on my van per repair. Sorry it wasn't broken down by monthly expenditures, but I've never tracked that. I doubt many other class B owners have either, based on the number or replies this question has received.
p.s. I didn't do any of it myself.

The fact that you've spent $10,000 versus my, maybe $3000 in any one year, makes no difference to my original answer which was
"I don't think B owners usually allocate repair funds monthly in advance, because the repair would have to be something really major for pre-allocated funds to help much."

The insurance claim comment was in response to how much you said you spent on your van, if the amount you've spent is more than you wanted to spend.
Yes, stuff happens, and it sounded like the repair costs are more than you can afford, so I was suggesting you should sell up, or otherwise write off your van, and move on.
What did you spend $10,000 on in one year? That was info mentioned in your other posting of the same question, btw.
What year/make/model do you have?
Posting up your vehicle info, up front, helps people make better suggestions regarding your problems.[/QUOTE

I have a 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous.

I never said that I couldn't afford it, but, I didn't like it.
I didn't have a choice and I had the work done.

Here's what I said in another post,

My Sprinter Class B had around $10,000 with a generator repair, then replacement and a complete refrigerator replacement plus some other stuff.

I would expect about $2,500- $3,000 on average normally... last year for me was not normal.

People who ignore budgeting or think that they can just skip needed services will diminish the value and utility of their RV's.

In case you think this is "not worth it", consider what a new RS goes for , starting price over $151,000...

https://www.roadtrek.com/models/rs-adventurous/

Old 10-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

No budget

We don't have a budget for repairs. We had a hose come off the power steering which cost us about $150 to diagnose and fix. That is it during the year we have owned it except for basic maintenance. We will need new tires and an alignment very soon. I am sure stuff will break, but I think that is hard to predict.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b