Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

'02 XC Chassis Common Ground Location?

A couple months back our Alison transmission shut down due to low voltage supply to the TCU. Had it towed to an Alison transmission shop and they found a bad ground connection and supposedly "repaired" it. Runs fine but when I was down under looking the other day I saw their "Fix" (see picture) Tech wrote in his report "rebuilt junction box and secured" (an obvious lie).
According to Freightliner tech help line there is/was no junction box there. I do see what appears to be a broken bolt stud located on the outside of the curb side rail/frame adjacent to the starter. If any of you have an '02 XC chassis out there, maybe you can tell me if you do or do not have an enclosure/junction box? I'll have to have a shop drill through the frame to insert a bolt to reattach these ground wires.

By the way, I've written to the shop manager and they have refunded my $988 bill for the shoddy repair job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Repair Photo.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	346906  
herbsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #2

Herbsells,

You are absolutely correct.....that can only be described as a temporary fix until a permanent repair of OEM standards can be completed.

I'm happy to hear they refunded your so called "Rebuild and Repair of the Junction Box".

You can call Freightliner 24/7 back and request they email you the drawing of the TCM grounding configuation on your (02) XC chassis rail or go to DTNA Connect (Daimler), complete the consumer access request and get access to all your chassis parts and wiring schematics for future reference.

If it is evident by what your seeing that the ground stud for the TCM broke off at the chassis rail connection, you can simply drill a hole (colbalt bit w/drilling oil) where or near where the old one was, insert a new bolt through the rail and re-secure your grounding lugs with a nylon lock nut......if that's all that it entails?

Now that you got me thinking, I'm going to log on to DTNA and check my 2012 XC chassis this morning. I'll post what I find later today.

Anyhow, if it was just a grounding stud
that corroded off, you'll save yourself a lot of money by just running a new grounding stud (bolt) yourself if your capable of doing so.

Let us know what you find out.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Thanks for info. Went to DTNA, but it seems that of the four choices presented on the site for registration, they all are for commercial dealers or body builders. Is there a way to gain access to the resources of DTNA as an RV owner rather than a dealer?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #4

Yes, you can subscribe as an chassis owner, but I don't recall what the actual prompt is to do so.

I THINK it is under the business heading and you just put your information and as "Type of Business"
put "RV Owner/Consumer"

That was eight years ago, so if you have a problem, there is a contact email for customer support and I think a phone number as well on the webpage.

I checked the drawings for my 2012 XC chassis and it shows the transmission control module housed inside a metal enclosure affixed to the rear passenger side frame rail near the transmission.

Just by the positioning of both, I suspect the ECM and TCU share the same ground.....we'll find out.

I could not find the drawing depicting the ground connection, but will be up at the coach tomorrow and will look for you then and snap a photo if located

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Yes, you can subscribe as an chassis owner, but I don't recall what the actual prompt is to do so.

I THINK it is under the business heading and you just put your information and as "Type of Business"
put "RV Owner/Consumer"

That was eight years ago, so if you have a problem, there is a contact email for customer support and I think a phone number as well on the webpage.

I checked the drawings for my 2012 XC chassis and it shows the transmission control module housed inside a metal enclosure affixed to the rear passenger side frame rail near the transmission.

Just by the positioning of both, I suspect the ECM and TCU share the same ground.....we'll find out.

I could not find the drawing depicting the ground connection, but will be up at the coach tomorrow and will look for you then and snap a photo if located

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thanks much for add'l info. I'll try the site again (different options) to see if I can register as a valid user. From your description, it sounds like this "box" and junction of wires is in the same place on your '12 as my '02. Not sure how big this TCU actually is ... maybe it's wrapped up inside the shop towel? I assumed the shop towel was enclosing nothing more than two or three ground wires .... but if I can gain access to the drawings, maybe I can see what is actually supposed to be there. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #6

Well, I crawled under the rear of the coach this morning and found the Transmission Control Unit.

On my 2012 XC chassis, it is above the driver's side rear air spring mounted inside a metal box bolted to the frame rail....as depicted on my Freightliner drawing. (See Photo)

Unfortunately, it is nestled in a hornets nest of black and red wire loom and since I was not dressed for the occasion to dig deeper amongst the dirt and grime, I couldn't follow the wiring harness with my mechanics mirror or find anything in the general vicinity that looked like a grounding stud.

I will comnent that that TCU housing looks rather robust and if yours is or was the same, I'd be very surprised if it failed as indicated by the repair shop.

Again...if they used the same housing on your chassis. Your set-up may be totally different.....we'll see.

Good luck getting connected with (Daimler) DTNA Freightliner for assistance.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_111658.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	347362

Tags
cat, chassis