Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
04 Freightliner XC Chassis Warning Lights flashing

I have a 2004 frightliner xc chassis the dash warning lights and rear view camera keep flashing it even killed the engine a few times
I checked the batteries ground and positive checked the cables at the front fuse panel in the front drivers side compartment cables all tight and corrosion free batteries are 1 year old also checked the cables on the mmdc module all looks good
Any ideas what I need to look at
It's a 2004 Winnebago vectra on a frightliner xc chassis with a caterpillar c7 330 hp engine
Thanks Mike
Thanks Mike
Hootnanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootnanny View Post
I have a 2004 frightliner xc chassis the dash warning lights and rear view camera keep flashing it even killed the engine a few times
I checked the batteries ground and positive checked the cables at the front fuse panel in the front drivers side compartment cables all tight and corrosion free batteries are 1 year old also checked the cables on the mmdc module all looks good
Any ideas what I need to look at
It's a 2004 Winnebago vectra on a frightliner xc chassis with a caterpillar c7 330 hp engine
Thanks Mike
Thanks Mike
Mike,
Well Sir, I have an almost identical sister ship to yours. It's the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. May I ask, just WHICH lights on the dash are you speaking of? Yours and ours are the first year for the MMDC which, rarely is reported to give any owners any issues, unlike the VDC of and earlier life in a Freightliner chassis. At present, I cannot help you with your issue as, I've not had any with this identical chassis/setup. But, it's gonna be interesting to me when you find out.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
What type of Battery Disconnect Circuit was installed by Winnebago ?
Normally, the cable from the Chassis Battery is cut going to the FL fuse box.
Then it is routed into the Battery Disconnect Control Box.
Inside it the Battery Disconnect Relay. From the Relay /Control Box it then is connected back to the FL Fuse Box. REMEMBER, then it will go to the ignition switch.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
What type of Battery Disconnect Circuit was installed by Winnebago ?
Normally, the cable from the Chassis Battery is cut going to the FL fuse box.
Then it is routed into the Battery Disconnect Control Box.
Inside it the Battery Disconnect Relay. From the Relay /Control Box it then is connected back to the FL Fuse Box. REMEMBER, then it will go to the ignition switch.
gator,
If you're talking about an actual Chassis battery switch, Winne and Itasca did not have any 'till around '06. They did have a house battery disconnect switch, just inside the door. But no chassis battery disconnect 'till as stated. Now, if you're speaking of something else, as in routing of power from the chassis batteries to various components, then disregard this.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Well Sir, I have an almost identical sister ship to yours. It's the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. May I ask, just WHICH lights on the dash are you speaking of? Yours and ours are the first year for the MMDC which, rarely is reported to give any owners any issues, unlike the VDC of and earlier life in a Freightliner chassis. At present, I cannot help you with your issue as, I've not had any with this identical chassis/setup. But, it's gonna be interesting to me when you find out.
Scott
My warning lights IE the cluster with the abs turn signal and cruise enabled lights along with my rear view camera are all flashing intermittent
Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll post when we get it fixed
Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

For want of something better to try, I suggest removing the battery connections, cleaning and reinstalling (in case you haven't done that, your post implied you inspected and checked for tightness, I've been caught on that before). Also, clean both ends of the battery ground, not just at the battery.
Having said this, the symptoms might point to a smaller local connection somewhere under the dash. A while back I found 3 small ground connections on the frame handy to the generator. I have no idea what they are for but I took a few minutes to disconnect, clean and re-tighten them. Another 'Hail Mary' item to try is a fuse change. A shop and I spent weeks trying to keep a Dometic fridge running and finally found an automotive fuse with one blade bent. Made contact once in a while.
These are things you can do while poking around looking for more things to try. Good luck with it, can be maddening!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Have you done anything with the batteries lately? I was just at a friends house where he had replaced his two house batteries. When he went live afterward, the engine lights were flashing and the overhead house lights were, too. They didn't go on/off, they went bright/dim/brighter/dim/etc. I had him shut everything down and did a voltage check -- 7.2v. The batteries were boiling. He had connected them ++/-- instead of +- and made a big 6v battery instead of a 12v. We changed the cabling and all was well.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll give it a try
Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Have you done anything with the batteries lately? I was just at a friends house where he had replaced his two house batteries. When he went live afterward, the engine lights were flashing and the overhead house lights were, too. They didn't go on/off, they went bright/dim/brighter/dim/etc. I had him shut everything down and did a voltage check -- 7.2v. The batteries were boiling. He had connected them ++/-- instead of +- and made a big 6v battery instead of a 12v. We changed the cabling and all was well.

Yes disconnected all batteries checked water levels and charge cleaned terminals my batteries are only a year old thanks
Mike
Old 10-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #11

If your dash cover is like the meridian I would remove the eight or so dash screws remove the cover and check the connections
Old 10-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #12

Does your coach have the box behind right rear tires? Their is a Fues, relay and circuit breaker, check for loose connection, check all grounds on frame, check starter cables, check the fuses under the front dash, for loose or missed placed fuse, I called Freightliner help, my coach shut down, and had no lights or power without holding the battery boost button, and it would start and run as normal..
I believe it was loose wires in that box was my problem.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #13

i have seen this weirdness on mine when turned off solution was the MOM switch which jumps the chassis batteries to the coach. It needed flipped a few times like the relay it engauges had semi engauged. I have never used the switch never had a need. I just flip it every one in a while now. Problem was solved.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post
i have seen this weirdness on mine when turned off solution was the MOM switch which jumps the chassis batteries to the coach. It needed flipped a few times like the relay it engauges had semi engauged. I have never used the switch never had a need. I just flip it every one in a while now. Problem was solved.
I'll give it a try
Thanks Mike

Tags
chassis, light, lights, freightliner