Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

1999 Freightliner XC Chassis front air spring replacement

Greetings All

I know that this thread is old, but just in case that there are still RV'rs still needing front air springs for the older XC chassis. I recently replaced the front air springs on my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V. The OEM part number for the original air front air spring was W01-358-9586. Average price for the OEM bag is $300 per air spring.

With the OEM replacement air springs being so expensive compared to other comparable sized air springs. I decided to do some research, I found that the OEM air springs required about 95 psi to support the weight on the front axle. While this is within the capability of the air spring it is very much on the high end of the bags capability. I up-sized my replacement air springs to Firestone W01-358-8204. These springs are slightly larger, still have the internal bumper stop. The price is $150 a pair, which is half the cost of one OEM air spring. The calculated air pressure to support the front end is now 75 psi. This is right in the middle of the design range for an air spring

These new air springs ride so much better then the OEMs that I replaced. Much smoother going over road expansion joints and small pavement defects, I live in Michigan so there is no shortage of road defects.
Any Questions feel free to IM me.
Mike
mhowie969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing your information.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Great info. I have a 2002 Fleetwood Expedition on an XC chassis that also utilize the W01-358-9586 front air bags. Did you install these yourself or have a shop do it. Did the 8204's bolt right into place without having to mod anything?
Patrick 8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great info. Just checked my PN on DTNA connect. It is 90557221 which is equal to Firestone ..9586.

Would like to know more about installation. DTNA has a replacement procedure but would like to hear it firsthand from someone that has done it.

Welcome to the Forum.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s been a couple of years since I replaced the front bags on my 2001 Freightliner XC but I don’t remember anything out of the ordinary. Just soak everything in your favorite penetrating oil the day before you attack it.

My bags were still working but the 20 year old rubber had severe cracking and I’d rather replace them at my leisure in my driveway than pay someone on the side of the road.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
It’s been a couple of years since I replaced the front bags on my 2001 Freightliner XC but I don’t remember anything out of the ordinary. Just soak everything in your favorite penetrating oil the day before you attack it.

My bags were still working but the 20 year old rubber had severe cracking and I’d rather replace them at my leisure in my driveway than pay someone on the side of the road.

Good info. If I replace mine I will start by using the DTNA procedure. Did you have to do anything different? Anything to watch out for?
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 11-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #7

Yes. I did the work myself. Direct fit no mods. Lower air bag mounting bolt is 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 inch like the original, so you will need a good hardened 1/2 inch washer.

Jack the front jaacks all the way up, remove wheel and disconnect level control valve linkage on the side your working on. You do not need to disconnect shock. JPut jack stand or block the chassis so that you are save. You will need to drop the front axle, (one side at a time) to access the bottom mounting bolt.
You will need a good breaker bar 3 foot plus. To break the axle mounting bolts loose.
All in all if you have the tools and some mechanical skills it takes about 1 hour per bag.
While your there and the wheels are off, don't forget to check out your front brakes. And check that the clevis pins on the S cam slack adjusters are free, they like to rust from sitting.

Good luck and don't forget to re-tighten the wheel lug nuts and the front I beam mounting nuts after 100 miles or so.
Mike
Old 11-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie969 View Post
Yes. I did the work myself. Direct fit no mods. Lower air bag mounting bolt is 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 inch like the original, so you will need a good hardened 1/2 inch washer.

Jack the front jaacks all the way up, remove wheel and disconnect level control valve linkage on the side your working on. You do not need to disconnect shock. JPut jack stand or block the chassis so that you are save. You will need to drop the front axle, (one side at a time) to access the bottom mounting bolt.
You will need a good breaker bar 3 foot plus. To break the axle mounting bolts loose.
All in all if you have the tools and some mechanical skills it takes about 1 hour per bag.
While your there and the wheels are off, don't forget to check out your front brakes. And check that the clevis pins on the S cam slack adjusters are free, they like to rust from sitting.

Good luck and don't forget to re-tighten the wheel lug nuts and the front I beam mounting nuts after 100 miles or so.
Mike

Thank you!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 01-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

This is absolutely great information. Thanks for sharing. I am prepping to replace my front airbags in my 2000 model year, 1999 Freightliner XC Chassis. Like you, I found the price of the Firestone 9586 airbags quite elevated. I did have a couple questions for you (or anybody else).

In all of my research, I have not been able to find any load chart or weight capacity for any of the Firestone Airbags; where did you find the numbers to calculate that the front axle load would be at 75psi for the 8204 vs 90 for the 9586?

Where did you source your new bags? I have come across several sources, but none were $150 for the pair. I typically see them for around $100 each, which is still much better than the OEM, but if I can save a buck......

The parts diagrams that I have seen for the 9586 bags have the air inlet as a 1/2" NPT Female fitting, while the 8204 bags have a "combo stud", which from what I can tell is a 3/4" bolt with a 1/4" air inlet through the middle of the bolt. Did you have to modify the incoming air line/fittings to get this to fit?

Also, from what I can tell, the 9586 base plate is Aluminum while the 8204 is composite. I don't think that this will be a problem, as long as I can see that the load capacity is the same or more.

Also, I scoured the Firestone Airbag replacement guide to cross reference part numbers, and made the attached picture. I found that the 9584 and the 5776 bags are extremely close in dimensions, but are more expensive than the 9586 bags and are harder to find.

Anyhow, I really appreciate the amount of research you put into this.

Happy New Year!
Gabe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freightliner xc front air springs.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	352798  
00Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #10

Subscribed. I just ordered a front air bag and stock was $300 each with a 2 month wait to get…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #11

Subscribed. I just ordered a front air bag and stock was $300 each with a 2 month wait to get…

Are the prices you found for actual Goodyear products, or knock offs?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The ones I have found appear to be genuine Firestone parts. I have had the best luck searching for "Firestone 8402" and combing through the search results. There are bags on Amazon from "Torque" that appear to be decent quality. Allegedly they come with a lifetime warranty, and are priced reasonably. I have zero first hand experience with them, so I don't know anything aside from what is in the Amazon listing.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #13

Talking More on Freightliner Air baags

Greetings all
The airbags Are Torque, lifetime warranty. Now $190. on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11430425251...IAAOSwGZlhUioX

I installed new nuts and connectors from Amazon
Note: do not use plastic or composite fittings for the air line, you can't afford to loose the front suspension going down the highway due to a cheap fitting.

You will also need two hardened, thick washers, grade 5 is fine.

I did go out for a test run after installing the air bags, 10 miles down a rough 2 lane at 55 and 10 miles back on Michigan freeway at 65-70. I normally travel 62-65 but this was a test for ride comfort and control, not MPG.

These air bags are much better then the original bag springs, both for handling and comfort.
Whatever air spring you get, make sure that it has the internal snubber, and close to the same min and max height and similar piston diameter

Mike
Old 01-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

Once again, thanks for the great information, especially about the air fittings.

One last question, where did you find the load capacity information for the different air bags? I have just not been able to find them, and my google-fu is usually pretty good.

Gabe

Tags
1999, ace, air, chassis, freightliner, replace, replacement