Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #1

2004 Winnebago Journey - No trailer marker lights

I have purchased a 2004 winnebago journey 34H. When I connected my trailer to the coach all the lights on the trailer work but the marker/running lights. All the lights work on the coach. So I traced the brown wire from the 7pin trailer connector on the coach. Found the fuse panel behind the wall inside the electrical compartment on driver side by rear axle. All the fuses are good. I have no power on both brown wires on the grey connector at the bottom of the fuse block. I would imagine the small brown wire #46 is the feed wire and the larger 14gauge wire goes back to the 7pin trailer connector. I have changed out known good relays with the marker relay with no luck. I'm looking for suggestions on where to look next. Am I right in my thinking the smaller gauge #46 wire is the feed wire? Attached is a image of the connector and the brown wire(s). I did contact freightliner support though I didnt get much help. They directed me to DTNA Connect and am waiting to here back to see if Im approved to obtain electrical drawings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of marker lights.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	302704  
bjboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

My chassis doesn't have the rear power center ( fuse/relay box ) so my wiring diagrams won't help you .

Just a word of warning , Freightliner is phasing out support on the older chassis , my DTNA Connect access has been terminated ,so when you get your wiring diagrams , treat them like gold !
Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

At the trailer plug on the back of the coach do you have any voltage on the pin #3 for tail lights?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

No. That is the same circuit as the marker lamps. Brown wire.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #5

true. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you have checked.....

With the taillights on the coach on, inside the trailer relay box, using a multimeter, do you have 12 volts on one of the spades for the taillight fuse?

With the taillights on the coach on, if you remove the relay, do you have 12 volts on pin 30 slot? If yes, do you have voltage on pin 87?

If not, do you have 12 volts on either pin 85 or 86? One of them should be a ground, and one should be a 12 volt+
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be sure to check the connections at the back of the 7-pin connector itself. Recently spent several hours working front to back tracing an issue with the trailer lights, and, the problem was the very last thing to check. Yes, rusty connections where the rubber boot of the connector had split.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #7

Good point but I am not even getting power coming out of the fuse box that goes to the 7 pin connector. My next check will be to turn the right turn signal on which I know works. Test for power coming out of the fuse box (2 green wires 1-14ga 1-16ga), which it will have. Then remove the fuse and see if either of those have power. If neither of those green wires have power with the fuse removed then I now both of those are delivery power and not feed. That should tell me something is wrong with the fuse block correct?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

Found it. Brown wire pushed out of a connector by RH side of transmission. Dumb luck I found it.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

Good Job. Every once in a while things work out!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboles View Post
Found it. Brown wire pushed out of a connector by RH side of transmission. Dumb luck I found it.
My job was automotive electrical for 33 years , and pinpointing the actual problem takes 95% of the time involved in the repair, and when it comes to pinpointing problems ...I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:56 AM   #11

Absolutely!

Tags
journey, light, lights, trailer, winnebago