Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 05:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I bought both that they had in stock, will arrive Monday! I'll post another update once it is installed to let you guys know if that solved the problem.

Thank you all!!!!
Based on your experience I’ll be checking availability and putting some more spare parts on board! I already carry a alternator , all bearings, idlers and belts on front of my CAT

You may know this but same people that pump plastic toilets are usually able to pump your rv tanks. Very common thing in the race world.
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
UPDATE: Problem (seems to be) Solved

We received the used parts and installed one, coach started right up. Tech drove it around the parking lot, turned it off, wouldn't restart. Next try (and subsequent 20 tries) it did start.

I suggested he drive it for a few miles, he obliged while I followed in my car. No issues. I paid and got back on the road.

I do need to tape a wire they left exposed (shaved insulation off so they could attach clips to check something), and I AM getting on the phone with Freightliner again to keep hounding them about making more of these parts. But I've made it to my next stop so it seems to be working so far.

Sad ending though - the delays caused me to miss out on buying a house I fell in love with. Sellers accepted an offer the same day I got back on the road (I was to fly out the next day to view it).

*sigh*
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #31

I am so happy you are back on the road again! It takes me awhile to become comfortable with my coach after those events, but the feelings fade some after the miles add up. The lost time seems to never be made up, but good experiences coming will help and rhe road is still in the windshield. May good luck be with you
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #32

Hey Geargirl,
Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!! As you and I have talked, we have been in the same kind of situation only, mine would start and run, but, with no gauges, exhaust brake, cruise control and more. We drove from San Antonio TX to San Diego with none of that working. And, my son and I did in one hour what Freightliner couldn't do in 2.5 days of analyzing and charged me $450 for.

But, again, very glad you got back on the road. You endured some painful stuff that none of us want. That helpless feeling of not knowing where to turn. But, due to some really nice and helpful folks on here, and your own perseverance, you're back on the road. I bet that feels great.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Geargirl, glad it is fixed, and you are back on the road! So sorry about the house, but, they say if it is meant to be, it will! Keep looking, the perfect one is out there, waiting for you! Rail!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
I am so happy you are back on the road again! It takes me awhile to become comfortable with my coach after those events, but the feelings fade some after the miles add up. The lost time seems to never be made up, but good experiences coming will help and rhe road is still in the windshield. May good luck be with you
Wooo feeling that most definitely, haha! My faith in the rig has not yet been restored, especially since this happened once before last fall (but started up again approximately 4 hours later).

Fingers crossed!!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Geargirl,
Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!! As you and I have talked, we have been in the same kind of situation only, mine would start and run, but, with no gauges, exhaust brake, cruise control and more. We drove from San Antonio TX to San Diego with none of that working. And, my son and I did in one hour what Freightliner couldn't do in 2.5 days of analyzing and charged me $450 for.

But, again, very glad you got back on the road. You endured some painful stuff that none of us want. That helpless feeling of not knowing where to turn. But, due to some really nice and helpful folks on here, and your own perseverance, you're back on the road. I bet that feels great.
Scott
Hey Scott! We still need to exchange stories. And yes the support here was awesome!

Luckily I was only charged a bit over $300 by Freightliner (but the parts cost around $450 haha...plus a few nights in a hotel). I am very happy to be back on the road, too! The weather has cooperated so far, though it did storm today in SLC. At least the surroundings were much prettier than southern Wyoming!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Geargirl, glad it is fixed, and you are back on the road! So sorry about the house, but, they say if it is meant to be, it will! Keep looking, the perfect one is out there, waiting for you! Rail!
Thanks Rail!

I really thought I finally found what I was looking for housewise. Believe it or not, it is a small 1900 castle I guess it was someone else's dream home, too.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #37

I just stumbled on this thread and read the whole thing. You've got game GearGirl. Clearly you have the right mindset and disposition to succeed at whatever you put your hand to. Well done!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can You Say "False Sense of Security?"

Hi all.

Guess what?

I've spent the past week in Salt Lake City getting my towed vehicle fixed (suddenly my mpg is down to 11.2 from 15.5, they ordered the wrong part the first time around, the right part finally came in and was installed...and it looks like my mpg is still in the toilet). But regardless, I got to do some sightseeing, found a neat rare bookstore, and got to relax a little.

So this evening I was doing final prep for leaving this campground tomorrow morning and finally making the last leg of the trip up to Yellowstone...and I've got THE. SAME. PROBLEM.

I can't make this s**t up.

So apparently it isn't fixed. At least I'm already in Salt Lake City, with a reputable Freightliner shop about 25 miles away.

Except one teeny tiny detail...this campground started construction across from my spot in the last couple of days, and there's a tree behind me, so there's no way a tow truck can hook up to me

The campground manager called this afternoon verifying my checkout in the morning so they can continue tearing things up right in front of my spot. This is not going to go over well when I tell them I can't leave.

Anyone got a helicopter? Maybe we can airlift this hunk of spare parts out of here....

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dang GearGirl, you can't catch a break!
Do you have room to drive out of your spot? If so, the tow truck can winch you out of your spot, and get you straight, then hook up!
Didn't you buy two of the parts that you needed? If so, call a Mobil Mech. and see if he can install the second part, and see if it works? Cheaper than a tow!

One positive thing, the people in SLC are some of the kindest, most helpful people in the U.S.! Hope everything works out, and it is just a loose connection! Rail!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seriously May Become a Temporary Utah Resident

Alrighty, so I began my fun-filled day with running to an auto parts store and buying test leads. I connected one end to the breaker in the compartment the PDM is in, and the other end to an exposed part of one of the wires (I believe ignition?) going to the PDM. Voila, it starts.

Freaky thing is, once you start it even if you take the key out it still runs You have to disconnect one of the clips to stop the engine.

Tow truck driver arrived, complained about how tight the spaces were in the CG. I told him I'd drive it just far enough to get to a straightaway so he can load the RV, and he STILL didn't want to tow. OK, so then I agree to drive across the street to a church parking lot I had scouted earlier, as that should give him plenty of room.

I get there, and he STILL DOESN'T WANT TO TOW.

He insists on driving it to Freightliner. I told him I won't be doing that, the coach has not been driven at highway speeds or for long distances yet with this configuration and I'm not confident in how it will perform. He drives it.

So I'm boondocking at Freightliner in SLC now, counting the days until the 27th (my scheduled appointment). They will try to get me in sooner, but no guarantees.

FYI, even though this is an Oasis shop, there are zero hookups for RVs.

I am seriously going to look at short term lease apartments tomorrow. I want this FIXED and fixed for real, I am not confident in my RV anymore as now it's always in the back of my mind that it will leave me stranded randomly. I'll sign a 2 month lease to give them plenty of time to get this figured out.

I'm still leaning towards something shorting out...loose connection...bare wire somewhere... I had an intermittently dying engine in my Hummer H1 years ago that the local Hummer dealership chased for MONTHS and never figured out. They could never get it to die. I'd go pick it up and get just down the road and it would die. I told them it was always during the day and to see the gages I always have my running lights on (to give them the scenario to duplicate); after it dies I'm able to restart it. But there is no warning of when it will die, it seemed to be a random event. I also said if it strands me on my trip to L.A., there will be hell to pay.

Sure enough, in DTLA the $#*! thing died and that time I couldn't get it started again. Luckily THE Hummer guy in the US (Mike Sabbarese) is in Tustin; literally 20 minutes in his shop and he nailed the problem - insulation had worn off a wire and it was shorting out, and on the final time it blew a fuse.

Having someone who really knows their way around whatever equipment is being repaired is INVALUABLE. And come to find out, the guys at the shop in AZ never ran it with the running lights on

It's got to be something simple like that. Sure feels like it.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 AM   #41

WOW. Really sorry for your struggles. Hope it gets sorted out this time!!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #42

The problems I have dealt with in this and my previous RV's pale in comparison to what you have experienced GearGirl. I promise to never complain again. Well, at least not until the next time.

You are my hero, GearGirl.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fleetwood, light, lights