Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #1

help-we have a new 40X Excursion that pulls to the right and after numerous alignments, wheel and tire front to back ,side to side changes,balance etc.we still have the problem.Freightliner has had my unit since Oct 5th and have retuned the air ride which out of spec. put in shimmes and still no good,they now are going to pull off the front axle and replace it,is there any one out there that has had to go thru this? and what was the outcome .The Fleetwood forum has tried to help of which i am gratefull but we still have the problem so i hope this Freightliner forum may produce somethig that would settle my mind on the matter.thank you Blake on Vancouver Island.PS has any one had any expience
with a system called TRUE- BALANCE ?
new owner of a 2008 Fleetwood 40X motorhome with Freightliner chassis 360 cummins .both wife and myself are retired and will start to do more rving with our puppies, Sheba and Pepper ,pictures to follow at later date.cheers Blake
Blake Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #2

help-we have a new 40X Excursion that pulls to the right and after numerous alignments, wheel and tire front to back ,side to side changes,balance etc.we still have the problem.Freightliner has had my unit since Oct 5th and have retuned the air ride which out of spec. put in shimmes and still no good,they now are going to pull off the front axle and replace it,is there any one out there that has had to go thru this? and what was the outcome .The Fleetwood forum has tried to help of which i am gratefull but we still have the problem so i hope this Freightliner forum may produce somethig that would settle my mind on the matter.thank you Blake on Vancouver Island.PS has any one had any expience
with a system called TRUE- BALANCE ?
new owner of a 2008 Fleetwood 40X motorhome with Freightliner chassis 360 cummins .both wife and myself are retired and will start to do more rving with our puppies, Sheba and Pepper ,pictures to follow at later date.cheers Blake
Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #3

Blake, I had steering issues on my new '07 Journey when I picked it up last November. My problem was moreso a shimmy in the front end than a pull (you can read about it here).

I am sure others will post on their experiences on pulling to the right in a new coach.

As I previously said, might be worth taking it to Gaffney, SC to the factory for the fix.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

Have you had someone follow you in a car,down a straight stretch of two lane highway,to observe if your coach is "dog tailing".That is to say that the rear of the coach may be off set from the front in relation to you plain of travel.

I had a problem on my 2004 Excursion two years ago and after two 4 wheel laser alignments was told that the alignments were with specifications,even though I knew that there was about a one foot offset between the rear and front.

I had previously laid out string and plumb bob chalk marks on my coach parking pad.Had found that the left set of rear duals were placed 1/2 inch aft of right rears.Remember with that configuration the coach was always in a right turn.This required constant left hand turning motion to keep tracking straight ahead.

In desperation I decided to take the coach down to freightliner in Gaffney,South Carolina. A four wheel alignment was preformed there, with the same results (Within specifications).I insisted that the ride check be performed with Joe Patterson from the Warranty dept with me in the chase car. After following for less than two blocks he agreed that the coach was dog tailing.

The fix was to grind off the alignment block on the right hand equalizing beam plate and then repositioning the rear axle to go from an negative thrust to a positive.

To get a better understanding of thrust line go to following URL.

www.familycar.com/alignment.htm
heavyequiptmentmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM   #5

Don and Mary If i were to drive this motorhome of off Vancouver Island or even on the Island and got into a accident knowing i have this serious problem my insurance company would claim i was negligent also if i injured some one or even worse killed one or many people i am the one resposible as i am aware that i have a very unsafe vehicle , so that unit can not go any where at this time,and to drive it to the factory would be a night mare the way it is pulling to the right .the real frustration of this whole thing is that coach was purchased to be used contiuosly for 6 months a year starting a week after i purchased it and got it home,we have it loaded ready to go and our bags were packed ,we were to do Vancouver Island with it and then head south to Arizona in Dec,if i was to get it back with the steering corrected tommorrow we may still be able to do some of Vancouver Island wheather permitting ,before heading south for our annual trip,all of this we could be doing right now of i still had my 2003 winnebago.thanks for your interest and i will try to keep you informed as if they do solve it it may help others in the future cheers Blake -------------<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Blake, I had steering issues on my new '07 Journey when I picked it up last November. My problem was moreso a shimmy in the front end than a pull (you can read about it here).

I am sure others will post on their experiences on pulling to the right in a new coach.

As I previously said, might be worth taking it to Gaffney, SC to the factory for the fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #6

hello heavyequipment-Freightliner has had my new motorhome since oct the 5th and i have been insructed to not move it until it is fixed of which a reasonable amount of time must be afforded so i will not be able to do what you suggested but will quate your comments to them thank you Blake----------<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heavyequiptmentmover:
Have you had someone follow you in a car,down a straight stretch of two lane highway,to observe if your coach is "dog tailing".That is to say that the rear of the coach may be off set from the front in relation to you plain of travel.

I had a problem on my 2004 Excursion two years ago and after two 4 wheel laser alignments was told that the alignments were with specifications,even though I knew that there was about a one foot offset between the rear and front.

I had previously laid out string and plumb bob chalk marks on my coach parking pad.Had found that the left set of rear duals were placed 1/2 inch aft of right rears.Remember with that configuration the coach was always in a right turn.This required constant left hand turning motion to keep tracking straight ahead.

In desperation I decided to take the coach down to freightliner in Gaffney,South Carolina. A four wheel alignment was preformed there, with the same results (Within specifications).I insisted that the ride check be performed with Joe Patterson from the Warranty dept with me in the chase car. After following for less than two blocks he agreed that the coach was dog tailing.

The fix was to grind off the alignment block on the right hand equalizing beam plate and then repositioning the rear axle to go from an negative thrust to a positive.

To get a better understanding of thrust line go to following URL.

www.familycar.com/alignment.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #7

Blake, if you are told that the coach shouldn't be driven in that condition, sure sounds serious, and a trip to Gaffney would certainly be out of the question.

If it was that bad, didn't it show up on the test drive before you purchased your coach? One learning many have stated is to not close the deal until the coach works as expected. Unfortunately too late for this situation.

Good luck on your repair and please let us know the outcome, what they do to fix it, etc.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #8

yes it did show up on our test drive and the dealer thought it was a tire pressure problem and that they would attend to it of which they did, i was then informed it required a wheel alignment and that they would not be able to get it done locally for quite a while as there is only one shop capable of this job and no way could they do it now, so they would arrange for me to have it done at Chillawack on my way home with it,i travelled there "white nuckled" and had the work done .The alighnment shop said someting else is wrong as it still pulls to the right and they then tried to get me in to a tire shop-no way every one to busy and i should make arrangements at home to have this work done,I drove it home nervously and reluctantly very carefully and slow.I had almost $400.00 worth of tire removal balancing and rotating done still had the problem they were not wanting to go any further on it they were suspect of something .Freightliner has had it since then.will keep alinterested parties informed.thank you for your input---Blake
Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Blake, if you are told that the coach shouldn't be driven in that condition, sure sounds serious, and a trip to Gaffney would certainly be out of the question.

If it was that bad, didn't it show up on the test drive before you purchased your coach? One learning many have stated is to not close the deal until the coach works as expected. Unfortunately too late for this situation.

Good luck on your repair and please let us know the outcome, what they do to fix it, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
well here is the latest after completing all wheel ballancing and alighnments,checking the ride height,instaling shimms they still canot get the camber right i think,so they have now ordered and installed a new front axle as apparantly the original one from the factory was not right.This has still not stopped it from steering to the right,so next is a new steering box which is on order.Both Freightliner and Fleetwood have certanly given this situation there apparant full attention and we may all learn something out of this yet.Also Westgate rv sales in Kelowna where we purchased the motor home has been right on top of things and have been keeping me informed of what is being done,they have never encountered this type of a problem where it could not be fixed by the people involved,i still suspect the frame but i have been told that is right on specs.will keep you posted -Blake - still in Lake Cowichan,and hoping to not get snowed in
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #10

Call the Freightliner shop in Gaffney on the RV help line. Ask to speak to Dwayne. He gave me a fix for my steering issue in about two minutes, and he was right on.

I spent a lot of time in alignment shops, and threw a lot of money at my FL steering issue. He told me what the problem really was. One sharp cookie.

My opinion is that you are working on the wrong end of the coach. I agree with others that your thrust angle is off. Your track bar being out of adjustment can cause this. It's easy to check. On the rear axle, measure from the rim to the frame rail. Go to the other side and make the same measurement in exactly the same place. They should be within 1/16 of each other. If not adjust the track bar, it's above the rear axle, runs parallel with the axle, and connects to the frame on one side and the axle on the other end.

Keep us posted, this is a good one.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #11

thank you Bikeboy 57, i will forward this to the freightliner shop doing the work and keep you all posted-Blake
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #12

Blake: I dont know who is working on your unit but you need to go to a HUGE truck aligment shop. Sounds like they are just throwing parts at your unit. You may have to go to the Vancouver area for this work. I doubt there is anything wrong with your FA. In a proper aligment shop they can and do "bend" the FA if it is out. Like others have said the thrust angle needsa to be checked. Some shops do not have a clue!

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 AM   #13

well you may be right but it is a freightliner shop that is working on the unit and everything they have attempted to date has been directed to them from freightliner headquarters,under warranty ,i can not keep the unit if it is not fixed,my wife is scared to ride in it knowing the front end has been (rebuilt)and it is not right, so i will have to buy another one and take the matter to the rv dealer who also have been very attendive to date on the matter , after many years of owning a car dealership you learn to go head on these matters only after all reasonable attempts to fix a problem have been completed.I bought this deisel pusher to travel and two months later i have not been able to, but i must be patient as they seem to be doing every thing they can to date and i cannot seek outside help on it as it is a warranty situation .there are a lot of big trucks in there shop every day this company is a very large (HUGE) truck shop,I dought there is a bigger one on the mainland, your comments on the matter are appreciated --- Blake
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #14

Hey Blake,

Would you mind going into a little more detail on the symptoms? I reread the original post, and you say it is pulling to the right.

Well mine pulls a little too depending on the crown of the road, but that doesn't make it scary to drive as you mention later.

Is the pull a constant pull?
Is there vibration in the steering wheel?
Is it stable driving down the road?
Are the front tires wearing unevenly?

Can you help us the undrivable part with a little more description?

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote