Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2011 Freightliner XCL chassis shocks

I am looking for folks who have changed their shocks on the 2010/11 chassis or have good information on this topic. I have the solid beam front axle. I am looking at the Bilstein 24-234498 for the front and 24-234504 for the rear in the B6 series. I found these #'s in this PDF: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/motorhome.pdf

If anyone has any better idea on part # or brand please feel free to post. I am looking for some good advise.

Thanks,
Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have thought about changing shocks. From research I would probably go with Koni FSD shocks. Better control and ride.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

Chip at http://www.rallysrus.com/ did ours at a rally years ago. Lifetime warranty on a set of Bilsteins. Ride was/is much better.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Am I in the minority here? My chassis is totally stock, and I have no issues with the way it rides. Maybe because I drove truck for 20+ years and look at the coach's chassis as nothing more then a modified truck chassis, and don't expect it to ride like a car. Am I out in left field here?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Comparing our air ride to a leaf spring chassis (XCS to a Ford) it is better, BUT. Over rough roads you still feel every bump. It is a truck. Our Accord is significantly better than the RV. BUT I don't live in the car. Changing shocks does not always improve ride.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Am I in the minority here? My chassis is totally stock, and I have no issues with the way it rides. Maybe because I drove truck for 20+ years and look at the coach's chassis as nothing more then a modified truck chassis, and don't expect it to ride like a car. Am I out in left field here?
Nope! You are just used to aiming/herding a vehicle instead of driving it.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Custom Chassis uses Sachs shocks on most all their chassis. Why not call their Customer Service line (800-FTL-HELP, 24/7) and ask what Sachs part they use. Then cross-reference to that if you want a different brand.

Have the last 6 digits of your VIN handy if you call. By the way, you can buy parts direct from them too, and I've found the prices reasonable.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
to all who have commented so far and many thanks. You all have good points.

The Sachs shock are a commercial shock widely used in the trucking industry. They are a good shock but are not built for ride comfort. More for stability as I read. I also read that the Koni shock gives a stiff ride. I was hoping to find someone who had a broader experience with shocks on motorhomes.

I just now found this article. Though a bit old, I think is is relevant. Because of it I think I am going with the Bilstein B6 shock.

Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test

We do a lot of interstate driving and this test results seems to show this shock best in the tests. What I like is that it is done on a XC chassis with weights close to mine.

Any thoughts?

Rick Y
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Sachs shock are a commercial shock widely used in the trucking industry. They are a good shock but are not built for ride comfort. More for stability as I read.
No shock is there for ride comfort - stability is what they are all about. Their entire purpose in life to tp keep the wheels in contact with the road by stopping the "bounce" after the suspension rebounds. An inadequate shock will let the suspension bounce multiple times. A stiffer shock stops the suspension movement faster, but the deceleration is more noticeable to the passengers, so I guess that is "comfort" of a sort.

The suspension is what gives comfort or not, whether air, leaf, torsion or rubber shear.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #10

I had sachs on my Tour, I went to shockwarehouse and bought bilstiens for front and rear. Much better ride, glad I switched the over, check them out they have sales all the time
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:47 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with you D Lindy. It is a truck chassis with a house mounted on top.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1032 View Post
I had sachs on my Tour, I went to shockwarehouse and bought bilstiens for front and rear. Much better ride, glad I switched the over, check them out they have sales all the time
I forgot about them. Your comment about the B6 Bilstein put me over the edge. I just bought a set from the shockwarehouse for $359.36 delivered. Done deal.

The Sachs shock is all that Freightliner uses if I recall correctly. It is a pure commercial truck shock and has been around for a very long time.

I vaguely recall hunting for the best shock for my first coach and found that the Bilstein road the best. I think it is the same link I posted earlier. This is a bigger and heavier chassis than the old one and I wanted some input, which is what you gave me. If the Tour rides better this little sister should do the same.

We are heading into some steep, twisty country in the next few months as we work our way through Yellowstone and then the great northwest. I hope the shocks will help by giving a bit more stability in the turns. Less stuff shifting, I hope, because of the sway leans in certain conditions.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

Happy trails,
Rick y

Tags
chassis, freightliner, shocks