Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2017 Analog gauges stopped working

Happy New Year! Great way to start the new year...leaving tomorrow and when I ran the engine today the analog gauges didn't work!! Freightliner 24 hr support is closed!! The Freightliner dealer in Orlando emergency number still has not called back... I have a 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
I checked the front panel on the front driver-side but did not find anything labelled gauges and the operator manual does not show what I have in my coach.
Anyone know how the power gets to the displays? Everything else seems to work including the Freightliner toggle display.
Thanks
Bill Porter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE
I did check the 150 amp fuse on the Rear Panel and cycle the engine batteries off....no change. The speed, fuel, and DEF do move or cycle prior to cranking but nothing while running.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Although they appear to be analog gauges, they are in reality all digital, fed by a bus. Look at the connections behind the dash, if accessible, to see if you find a bad connection somewhere. When you find the problem, it's quite possible they will all start to work at once.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:36 AM   #4

Did this get solved, pm me if not I’ll see if I can help
filterbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
update final!!

A friend recommended the Blue Fire data device and that got me through our trip. Freightliner found the compass/temp sender was bad and that shorted the whole cluster out...like someone said if one goes then all go!!
The Blue Fire bluetooth was really good and gave me more information than what I lost. I am going to set it up and use it in addition to the dash board.
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scan Gauge D or II (gas). Displays every thing you need and saves me $ by watching the MPG readings
Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYRV View Post
A friend recommended the Blue Fire data device and that got me through our trip. Freightliner found the compass/temp sender was bad and that shorted the whole cluster out...like someone said if one goes then all go!!
The Blue Fire bluetooth was really good and gave me more information than what I lost. I am going to set it up and use it in addition to the dash board.
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
How did they fine the problem?
chuckpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Although they appear to be analog gauges, they are in reality all digital, fed by a bus. Look at the connections behind the dash, if accessible, to see if you find a bad connection somewhere. When you find the problem, it's quite possible they will all start to work at once.
As a victim of similar gauge failures, I can confirm that Freightliner coaches are famous for having gauge wire connection issues. As stated, they are daisy-chained on a bus. When one gauge or connection goes bad, the rest of the gauges down the line also go out. Sort of line the old style string of Christmas lights. When one goes out, they all do. You just have to find the one that caused the failure.
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The toggle screen had a "lost connection error" for the compass so that was on the list to repair with the gauges.....I did not know that there was a connection with the dash. They unplugged it and verified the dash operation and it worked. I have no idea where the compass/thermometer module is located so there was nothing I could do.
Learned something new that I can forget about later!!!
Bill

Tags
gauges