Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

2017 XCR 360 rear brakes dragging and or locking up.

Freightliner XCR 360 Chassis 2017
Rear Brakes dragging/locking up.

February 28, 2020, was the initial failure of the rear brakes.
The rear brakes would not release and smoke emitted from the rear wheels.
The coach was towed to Doggett Freightliner, El Paso, Texas.
This repair was under an extended warranty claim. See enclosed invoice.

Upon tear down and inspection, Doggett Freightliner determined to repair and replace the following components upon authorization under the warranty claim:

2 Rear brake Drums
2 rear S-Cams with bushings
Set of rear axle brake shoes.
Two rear air brake chambers
Replace two front rotors
Replace front brake pads
Replace all seals front and rear related to the brakes.

After Doggett ordered all parts, only rear brake drums, seals, and rear brake shoes were available. The other parts were on backorder for months. Early March 2020 with Covid lockdowns caused further unknown delays.

Service supervisor in Gaffney, SC, Freightliner, subsequently communicated with Doggett. Considering Covid and parts unavailability, it was decided it was unreasonable and impracticable nor safe for us to wait for parts and advised Doggett to leave the front brakes as is because he felt the bluing of the front rotors were normal wear on a motor home chassis.

Gaffney advised Doggett to free up frozen rear cams, replace two rear seals, two rear drums, and rear shoes for the right and left rear axle.

Freightliner advised me if this repair does not correct the rear brake failure the Freightliner would re-repair the brakes but now the coach is out of warranty. Great Lakes Freightliner will go to bat for me feeling the symptoms were repaired not the route cause.

While en route from Texas to Ohio, on or about March 15, 2020, I called Freightliner when I began hearing rear brake squeaking since leaving Doggett Freightliner on March 10, 2020. Gaffney Freightliner noted the issue and advised to have a local Ohio dealer inspect.

On June 15, 2020, Great Lakes Freightliner inspected the rear brakes. Great Lakes backed off the adjustors to remove the drums, inspect the shoes and drums. Great Lakes adjusted all rear brakes indicating no other work was required.

On June 17, 2021, Great Lakes Freightliner performed routine preventative maintenance and lubricated the rear brake cams which had several fittings on each cam.

On July 23, 2021, the same failure apparently re-occurred approximately eight miles from home while returning home (240-mile round trip). The initial sign felt like the brakes were dragging or engaged while ascending a small grade hill that occurred on two separate occasions within seconds apart. The indicator light for the tow braking system flickered on for a few seconds while accelerating. I pumped the brakes several times and the rear brakes appeared released. The towed vehicle was disconnected from the RV. The rear inner axle dual wheels were hot and my tire pressure monitor sensed excess heat buildup. I let the coach sit and let the brakes cool down. I drove approximately five miles to my home and twice experienced the same braking issues as described above;
My tire monitor indicated excessive heat on both inner dual wheels.

The tow brakes are activated by the air brakes on the coach. An indicator light was installed on the RV dash that is activated whenever the tow brakes are active. None of this circuit is connected to the coach and is powered by the towed vehicle.

I suspect that the rear brake air chambers are not releasing air pressure when the brake pedal is released, causing excessive heat that causes the s-cams to lose grease and the s-cams to bind. I believe the above brake incidents are interrelated.

What will cause this? Is there a valve below the brake pedal that is not releasing pressure, brake chambers, airlines?
What are your thoughts?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

There is a relay valve that sends or releases air from the rear brake chambers. It sits between the brake chamber lines, above the rear axle.

From your description, including the toad brake issue, I would be changing that first. If it sticks, the chambers hold some air.

That extensive list of work your shop wanted to do sounds more like insurance fraud then repair.
You see that with outside service contracts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

2017 XCR 360 rear brakes dragging and or locking up.

Bendix has some really good training videos online that explain the brake system, including the relay for the rear brakes. Might be worth a look before your next service to be sure they are fixing the source of the problem.

Would be interested in a follow up when you get it sorted out.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

I'm with Twinboat , these shops don't spend the time to find out the real problem just replace everything and hope you fixed it ! In the OP's situation they failed to dignose the problem and therefore didn't and wouldn't have fixed what was wrong no matter if they replaced all that they wanted to !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It could also be the treadle valve. The carpet or dirt could be preventing it from releasing fully
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Thats where a little troublshooting comes in to play.

When it happens, drive a few minutes with the brakes dragging. Then stop and see if all brakes are hot, or only rear or front.

All brakes hot leads to treddle ( foot ) valve issue.

Just one axle hit leads to a relay valve.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #7

Brakes

I know when they are dragging as the drums heat up and my tire pressure monitor shows the temps. The shop has not started repairs yet but I will advise.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Rear brakes

The shop has been in contact with Freightliner in SC. Freightliner is now claiming that the toad brake system is the cause of this lock-up. Per Freightliner, they have had complaints of rear brake lock up with Air force one system, and other manufactures of toad brakes are not releasing air from the toad brake air tank and causing rear brakes to lock up. Freightliner claims that a one-way valve and a dump valve should be installed. Not sure where.

I have a Roadmaster brake master system on the toad. The Roadmaster system does not use a separate air tank tied into the RV chassis.

The shop stated that there is a separate air tank for the toad tied into the Freightliner air system for the toad.

I am not the original owner of the coach. The only system I know of that has a separate air tank is the Airforce One system. If this is so then the prior owner had installed the system. I can not confirm as the prior owner has passed away.

Some claim that the Treadle valve or the distribution valve may be the problem. Some say to tie the toad brake airline into an open port on the distribution valve and not use the separate air toad tank.

What to do?

Tags
brake, brakes, rear