RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Mongobird,
This is the 24th of Sept, have you found that diagnostic port yet? If not, JaminSamin provided a great photo of what you're looking for. You could, in fact, be looking right at it but, don't recognize it. I certainly understand your debilitating issue, been there, done that. Maybe grab a nephew, son, kid in the neighborhood and pay him (or her) a couple bucks and show them the rear cap cover of the diagnostic port and, then, tell them to get their little bodies down buy the left side of that steering column and very carefully, dig around all that wiring freeway system and, see if they see the same type cap. Just a suggestion.
Scott
Finally found my diagnostics port! Or rather, my RV technician did. He removed the instrument cluster from the dashboard and found the port lurking behind a bundle of wires way up there. Plugged in the Scanguage and it works! The port was extremely difficult to find.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #16

Great,

I use mine and am glad to have it!
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #17

The older your coach (especially any before 2003-2004) the more likely that the connector is instead a 6 pin round style - but it will still be the same basic size and location. There SHOULD be a flange around the round port which would allow it to be mounted to a panel (but likely is not) and that may help in locating it. Mine was also bundled up in the wires behind the dash, higher up by the top of the pile.

I have the 6 pin connector on my Diplomat.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #18

First, I wrote two longer posts detailing my experience here, but they did not actually get posted. Please forgive the resultant delay.

First, a mixolydian tip of the hat to JaminSamin, for the picture he posted.

I immediately scoured the area, and found nothing. Then I read a couple of posts, including a thread with FIRE-UP commenting about the left foot footrest, so I pulled that. Still did not find anything. Since I could not see well in there, and since I had to move the wires and feel with one hand, it took me a while to search the entire space.

But I did find it, about 15" left of the steering wheel, and about 1.5" from the top of the space. The connector was face up, and did not have a grey cap on it. No gray cap in sight anywhere.

As several others have posted, it had enough cable to be put closer to the front in a more usable location, which is now done.

ScanGaugeD was connected to it, and it talks with things.

Then I went through the process of swapping out the bad diagnostic display. That was a pain as well, but easier for me to get to. The new display works, but has a blink periodically. Did not figure that out yet.

The new one is about as useless in ambient light as the old one, and it appears that the only problem is the backlight LEDs. So I saved the old one, and may replace those LEDs when I get bored some day.

Thanks for everyone chiming in with their ideas!
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #19

So my Scanguage is now connected. But there's a problem: It turns off after a minute or two. It connects, and all functions are there but it does not stay on. So far, I can't figure out how to make it stay on. Any ideas?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote