Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

ABS light oddity

I'm having a curious issue with my ABS system. Here's what is happening...

Start engine. ABS light is not on.
Start to roll. ABS light comes on.

Stop engine for a few seconds.

Start engine. ABS light is on.
Start to roll. ABS light goes out.

And, it stays off until the next time the engine is shut off, then the loop begins again.

This may or may not be associated, but this past winter I found the PAC brake actuator solenoid was not connected electrically. I remedied that and the PAC brake now functions as it should. I never had the ABS light illuminate prior to connecting the solenoid.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #2

I had an ABS sensor that over time was going bad....during this time period I got a lot of similar light problems. In the end I had to replace the sensor to get everything working correctly. BTW, if the light is on when you start but goes off reasonably quickly, it usually means the sensor is resetting.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I had an ABS sensor that over time was going bad....during this time period I got a lot of similar light problems. In the end I had to replace the sensor to get everything working correctly. BTW, if the light is on when you start but goes off reasonably quickly, it usually means the sensor is resetting.
Well Sir,
That's not what the manual for the Medallion Gauge System says. If you're talking about the "ABS" icon/light in the Annunciator panel, (the one with all the different colored lights (light bar)) then, what the book says is, upon energizing of the ignition, it (and all the lights in that light bar) will briefly light for an instant, indicating that, they are ready for data. Then, they go off and, the then light again, for about two to three seconds, indicating a bulb check and, they're receiving data.

So, the ABS light will light up, but it's not indicating a sensor is on it's way out. In my experience, when a sensor goes out, it goes out and the light comes on permanently. At least that's the way it was with all our fire trucks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP

Well Sir,
That's not what the manual for the Medallion Gauge System says. If you're talking about the "ABS" icon/light in the Annunciator panel, (the one with all the different colored lights (light bar)) then, what the book says is, upon energizing of the ignition, it (and all the lights in that light bar) will briefly light for an instant, indicating that, they are ready for data. Then, they go off and, the then light again, for about two to three seconds, indicating a bulb check and, they're receiving data.

So, the ABS light will light up, but it's not indicating a sensor is on it's way out. In my experience, when a sensor goes out, it goes out and the light comes on permanently. At least that's the way it was with all our fire trucks.
Scott
Ok...ignore my comments. Just passing-on my experience. Have never been not do I want to be an ABS idiot light expert.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Ok...ignore my comments. Just passing-on my experience. Have never been not do I want to be an ABS idiot light expert.

Wow, apparently some people have no idea how to "discuss" things.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Let me clarify my original post.

After the first engine start, all is normal, i.e. the ABS light is on momentarily, then extinguishes. Only after I put the trans in drive AND begin to roll does the light come on steady.

After shutting the engine off the restarting it, the ABS light remains on. Only when I put the trans in drive AND begin to roll does it extinguish.

Sorry if my OP caused any confusion.

Steve
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #7

Steve, call the Freightliner help line at 1-800-385-4357 and they might be able to give you some insight.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Let me clarify my original post.

After the first engine start, all is normal, i.e. the ABS light is on momentarily, then extinguishes. Only after I put the trans in drive AND begin to roll does the light come on steady.

After shutting the engine off the restarting it, the ABS light remains on. Only when I put the trans in drive AND begin to roll does it extinguish.

Sorry if my OP caused any confusion.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for clarifying the issue. That is definitely different than the preliminary light bulb check and, operational readiness of the ABS system ready to receive data. Now, since you've not mentioned if the "Check engine" light has ever lit up, I don't know if, because of your "odd" lighting sequence of the ABS light, you'd have any codes stored in the system. It might be worth having a tech put a code reader on you diagnostic port plug, (rear or front one) and see if anything is presented. If not, well, not sure where to send you then.

Replacing system sensors is not cheap. I'd do the best possible analysis prior to jumping in and replacing something that might not be bad.
Scott
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

Culd as simple as a dirty wheel sensor or as difficuly as a bad wheel speed sensor. The only way to know for sure is to go under and clean each wheel sensor tip really well. Paying attention to position to be sure it has not been knocked loose. If that does not do it, then you have either a sensor or the control box going bad.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Replacing system sensors is not cheap. I'd do the best possible analysis prior to jumping in and replacing something that might not be bad.
Any suggestions on where to begin? At this time, getting a "tech" involved is not an option.

No Check Engine light issue, just ABS.

Steve
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
The following is from Instrument Opertors guide for Freightliner. It applies to early Medallion systems.
"The ABS Warning Light illuminates when the vehicle is started as a self-test. If an ABS fault has been cleared, the vehicle speed must exceed 7 mph (10 km/h), for the light to go off if the ABS system is functioning normally."
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electro...mdc_owners.pdf
It does seem to fit your indications, and if a sensor is obstructed or malfunctioning, it would follow Jack1234's experience.

Hopefully it's just a dirty sensor, instructions on cleaning- w/photos are here: Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

A search here on IRV2 for "ABS light" brings up several discussions..

Hope this helps
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #12

Hooligan,

Thanks for the reply.

I did the search last week. Didn't find anything that matched my problem. That's why I started this thread.

Thanks also for the link to Oemy's. I'll look a bit closer, but it seems the picture is of a disk brake. I've drums all around. I've heard that on a Freightliner chassis the wheel and tire must be removed to get at the sensor.

Steve
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Hooligan,

Thanks for the reply.

I did the search last week. Didn't find anything that matched my problem. That's why I started this thread.

Thanks also for the link to Oemy's. I'll look a bit closer, but it seems the picture is of a disk brake. I've drums all around. I've heard that on a Freightliner chassis the wheel and tire must be removed to get at the sensor.

Steve
Steve,
Just for your viewing, here's a very recent job I just did on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. It had a leaking left rear hub seal. I found it during a brake inspection. Now, in the pics, you'll see the ABS ring, that's mounted to the hub. In the pictures, it is all dirty and oily. When I removed the hub and dissected it, I removed the bearings seal and all other components and cleaned everything up. You'll see the ABS ring all cleaned up. The clearance between the tip of the sensor and, the ABS ring is around 1/16", + or -. I believe you'll see that clearance in picture three. And, yes, in certain conditions, like that one in the pics, it can pick up metallic dust/debris and actually make contact with the ring.

Yep, you certainly do have to take the tires/wheels and drum off to observe that relationship of the ring to the sensor up close.
Scott

Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
FIRE UP: Good info, thanks..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote