Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Adding Coolant

Our MH is a 2014 Berkshire 36Q on a Freightliner chassis.
Two questions I have is what would be a good oil to carry as extra just in case? I've RTFM and didn't find the info I was looking for.
The second is, the way the coach was built, the cap on the plastic tank can not be removed due to a 1x1 square tubing installed over the top of it.
How would I add coolant if needed?
Thanks for any info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You should carry a quart of whatever oil is in the engine.
If no one can tell you what oil is in it, or if you are not
running synthetic, get a change to Mobil One synthetic
turbo-diesel oil. Your engine will last longer.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I don't think synthetic oil for a diesel will pay off. They're already designed to go 500,000 miles with dino oil. And so far I've never met or heard of anyone driving his RV that many miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Our MH is a 2014 Berkshire 36Q on a Freightliner chassis.
Two questions I have is what would be a good oil to carry as extra just in case? I've RTFM and didn't find the info I was looking for.
The second is, the way the coach was built, the cap on the plastic tank can not be removed due to a 1x1 square tubing installed over the top of it.
How would I add coolant if needed?
Thanks for any info.
donie,
Well Sir, as has been stated, I'd suggest you do whatever's needed to enquire about what was put into it from the factory. Now, being it's '14, and on a F/L Chassis, I'm taking a seriously wild guess here and betting it's a diesel and, a Cummins at that. So, if your selling dealer is absolutely CLULESS, I'd make some phone calls to your local Freightliner dealer or, if you chose, call the Freightliner Customer Hotline and, with the last 6 of your VIN, you can find out about every nut and bolt on your particular coach/chassis.
Now, as far as your coolant and, the ability to add some, I'd like to see a close up picture of your situation. While not totally out of the question, It's a bit hard to believe that, even a motor home manufacturer would do something that DUMB as to not be able to add coolant due to inappropriate placement of structural components.

Most motor home engine bays and compartments are very limited in real estate for working on the engine. Some, depending on the manufacturer, DO THINK ABOUT future maintenance and, actually supply room for such maintenance. But, not even being able to add some coolant? That sucks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fire up,
there is another post a little farther down from my post, titled "Help Cant add coolant" where the owner asks the same basic question and he has posted a pic that almost matches my problem exactly.
l"ll try to get a pic and post it in here.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Fire up,
there is another post a little farther down from my post, titled "Help Cant add coolant" where the owner asks the same basic question and he has posted a pic that almost matches my problem exactly.
l"ll try to get a pic and post it in here.
Hey Donie,
Well, I cruised on down to his post and checked out the picture. Yep, it's a tad close for adding coolant. Mine is close but, I don't think it's that close. And, like many others, I've fabricated whatever was needed to fill or, top off, that tank. It was apparent and, maybe still is, that the coach builders pretty much don't give a rats a$$ about the end users, that's us, in terms of providing maintenance clearances at multiple points.
It's hard to add coolant, hard to add oil, difficult to add tranny oil etc. Now, with a tiny bit of ingenuity, one can come up with fittings, hoses, a funnel and more, to fabricate what's needed to be able to add all those fluids, without any stress.

It's too bad we have to do that but, it is what it is,
Scott
Old 02-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Personally I don't think synthetic oil for a diesel will pay off. They're already designed to go 500,000 miles with dino oil. And so far I've never met or heard of anyone driving his RV that many miles.
I agree with Mr D, unless you are operating in severe conditions like extreme cold or putting on many thousands (100,000) of miles per year, I see no advantage to the extra cost of synthetic oil. I change mine once per year and am very confident my engine will outlast the rest of the coach. If not, it certainly won't be due to using good old conventional 15W/40 lube oil.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"donie".....There are two brands of oil that most DP owners use. One is Rotella, available at Walmart and the other is Chevron Delo, available at Costco. Either will be fine to add to your engine.

Regarding the coolant. Unbolt the tank and relocate it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We found a Walmart and I got a gallon of Rotella for the coach.
Also picked up a gallon of tranny fluid, just in case.
When we get home. I'm going to look into getting something setup to add coolant.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"donie".....There are two brands of oil that most DP owners use. One is Rotella, available at Walmart and the other is Chevron Delo, available at Costco. Either will be fine to add to your engine.

When I was working construction most of the rigs had Delo in them but as Don says, either will do just fine although for a while there were complaints about the Rotella having a funny smell. Haven't seen any more reports lately so it must have been solved.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What Transmission Fluid?

Quote:
We found a Walmart and I got a gallon of Rotella for the coach.
Also picked up a gallon of tranny fluid, just in case.
When we get home. I'm going to look into getting something setup to add coolant.
Thanks for the replies.
Donnie,

You mentioned that you purchased your oil at Walmart. Did you also purchase the transmission fluid there? If so, what brand and type?

If you have an Allison transmission (3000 or 4000 series), and your MH is a 2014, you probably need Transyd or other equivalent fluid. You shouldn't use Dexron or Mercon fluid in a newer Allison transmission.
GrandpaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Before you add ATF, make sure your tranny isnt filled with synthetic like TranSyn..
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Don,
Relocating that particular tank, is way easier said than done. I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of actually dealing with that style but, the mounting points alone would be test of a good fabricators skills. Then, there's (if I recall, at least three hoses) that would have to be altered, either lengthened or, shortened, depending on just where you think it could possibly end up. Then, there's the electrical side for the sending unit. It also has wires that, again, if I recall, are just barely long enough to attach to the sender itself, located on the engine side of the tank.

In about 99.99% of the coaches with that style tank, there's basically no alternate space that would accommodate that tank. It's bigger than it looks too. I, like many on here, have had to replace it due to age and, the elements eating away at it and, on mine, it was a pain to do so. I've spoken with others that had to replace it and, theirs was even harder than mine.

I do agree that, placing it in a better location for all purposes, would be great. But, due to the logistics involved, I'd say it's pretty close to impossible. Just some info here.
Scott
Old 02-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Don,
Relocating that particular tank, is way easier said than done. I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of actually dealing with that style but, the mounting points alone would be test of a good fabricators skills. Then, there's (if I recall, at least three hoses) that would have to be altered, either lengthened or, shortened, depending on just where you think it could possibly end up. Then, there's the electrical side for the sending unit. It also has wires that, again, if I recall, are just barely long enough to attach to the sender itself, located on the engine side of the tank.

In about 99.99% of the coaches with that style tank, there's basically no alternate space that would accommodate that tank. It's bigger than it looks too. I, like many on here, have had to replace it due to age and, the elements eating away at it and, on mine, it was a pain to do so. I've spoken with others that had to replace it and, theirs was even harder than mine.

I do agree that, placing it in a better location for all purposes, would be great. But, due to the logistics involved, I'd say it's pretty close to impossible. Just some info here.
Scott

My neighbour has a Fleetwood Revolution with the rear radiator. I can certainly see what you are saying. He had one of the balance line fittings leaking and it was a major undertaking just to get that done. I can't imagine moving the tank without some good equipment and two long skinny arms. Something to be said for a side radiator.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum