Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Air bag & shock replacement

Hi I'm very new to IRV2 & also to rving so please help if you can, I just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD, it has a Freightliner XC Chassis with ZF IFS. I'm need to replace the air bags & shocks & can't find part #s & no supplier that can say they have what I need. Called Freightliner & they're prices are twice as much as most air bag suppliers. It has firestone OEM bag but I can't read the #s. Thanks if you can help
CLIFFS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Did you get a Freightliner P/N , that you could cross reference ?

FIREUP , just replaced air bags on his 04 chassis , but I don't believe he has the IFS.

I'll see if I can find his post .

EDIT:Have a look through this post and see if any info will help you.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hous...em-521128.html
Old 06-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply --Freightliner was not forth come with part#s just pricing,the rear were $279.00ea. & by a rough match up on a Firestone web site about $100.00
Old 06-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFS55 View Post
Thanks for the reply --Freightliner was not forth come with part#s just pricing,the rear were $279.00ea. & by a rough match up on a Firestone web site about $100.00
Well the option would be to join DTNA Connect ( Daimler Trucks North America ) through the Freightliner help line ( takes a while ) when joined up you'll have access to the Freightliner computer system and get P/Ns for yourself , for all the parts , linked to your chassis serial number .

My rear P/N was NEW 90557219( Neway ), don't know if there were major suspension changes between the production of our chassis. I doubt my front air spring P/N would be of any use given your IFS,
Old 06-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Hi. I am also new and have a new to me 2002 DP with a freightliner chassis also. I am replacing the rear air bags now. I found a few places that said they would get back to me, Amazon had some so cheap I was skeptical and they never responded after I gave them my vin. to confirm they fit. I bought 2 bags yesterday at Freightliner in AZ, $242 each. The part # is 90557248
BmanRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

I hope that helps. I had asked Freightliner for the part # when I talked to them but he told me the # omitting the last digit...hmmm....lol. I am sure it was on purpose. I tried searching and found the correct part # but I wasn't sure at that time so I just ponied up and bought them from Freightliner. You will find them online for less than 1/2 now that you have the #.
BmanRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanRRT View Post
I hope that helps. I had asked Freightliner for the part # when I talked to them but he told me the # omitting the last digit...hmmm....lol. I am sure it was on purpose. I tried searching and found the correct part # but I wasn't sure at that time so I just ponied up and bought them from Freightliner. You will find them online for less than 1/2 now that you have the #.
Thanks all for the replies, still looking, I may have to tear it down before I can order them. Thanks again Cliffs55
Old 06-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Cliff

Sometimes you get somebody on the line and it just doesn't click. Hell, sometimes I click on DTNA, and it just doesn't click.

Last week I couldnt get DTNA to show anything more than major components- no subgroups or subsytems.

So I called the US Freightliner number. Was on hold so long I hung up.

They called me back an hour later-said they saw I called and asked what I needed.

Told them airbags for my 06. They gave me the original numbers and also some alternates. Asked for price and availabilty. Said call my local dealer- OKC.

Called OKC. Nothing on hand, but if I needed them shipped it was going to be $100 shipping per bag. Guy said that was awful steep so he gave me names for three places in OKC that might have the parts.

Ending up ordering front bags from Freightluner in Cleveland , and rears from MPParts. About $700 total parts, tax, shipping.

Once they arrive, then the fun can begin!
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFS55 View Post
Hi I'm very new to IRV2 & also to rving so please help if you can, I just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD, it has a Freightliner XC Chassis with ZF IFS. I'm need to replace the air bags & shocks & can't find part #s & no supplier that can say they have what I need. Called Freightliner & they're prices are twice as much as most air bag suppliers. It has firestone OEM bag but I can't read the #s. Thanks if you can help
Cliff,
First off, while you may be new to this forum and maybe RVing in general, the very first thing you need to do is, become a member or, get associated with DTNA or, Daimler Truck North America. You can do this via a Freightliner Service Center parts department. They can walk you through the process. The prime benefit of becoming part of that system is, you can, at any time, with your own computer (or phone I guess) log in and, look up every single part that went into the building of YOUR PARTICULAR CHASSIS!

With that kind of capability, you can find any and all PART NUMBERS that pertain to your coach, which include but, are limited to, AIR BAGS! Once you find those part numbers, you can then call Freightliner and TELL them the part numbers you need for them to check on. They won't have to look them up and possibly get things goofed up.

You can also use those part numbers to look up the parts/components (air bags) in all other avenues (Amazon) (Ebay) (Trucksprings.com) and many other avenues. For some, it was a tad bit of a pain to get hooked up with DTNA. For others, it was a walk in the park. I did it when it was known as "Access Freightliner" which, was several years ago.

But, in the mean time, as you may have found out, a call to Freightliner with the last 6 of your vin, should get you all the part numbers you need for all the parts you need for your coach, as long as it's chassis related, not the box part.

AS for price, yep, motorhomes aren't cheap. If you're gonna own one of these rolling Kleenex boxes, you're GONNA PAY! Yes, a little looking around may, or may not reveal slightly lower prices on the same part, but not always. I just replaced all four air "springs" on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, it ran me somewhere around $850, plus or minus. And that was doing ALL THE LABOR in replacing them myself. Good luck on yours.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Update on my air bag installs.

Started with rear bags since they are easier. Not a bad job, but it was a few hours work and hot and humid here in Ok right now. Had to zip tie new bags after compressing them ( helpful hint from someone on this site) to get them in place easier. I did not remove rear tires.

Looked at the front bags for awhile. Saw the challenge. Didn't want to fab the tool. Didn't look forward to breaking the spring bar/plate loose and possibly run into problems getting it back in place. After reading others trials and tribulations, I decided to part with some of my stimulus money.

Took it to Inland Truck Parts(ITP) in west OKC, based on a recommendation of my local rv repair guy.

Made appt for last Thursday,

I showed up at 7:30. They got them in and me out by 9:00. Charged me $250 labor.

Wish I could have taken a video to see how the tech did it that fast. I realize knowledge, tools, and experience are key, but damn, that was a helluva lot faster and thus cheaper than I thought. It takes me 30 minutes or more to get the coach up where I feel safe going under it to work.

Anyway, that's off my list. And a shout out to ITP. I'd recommend them. They have several locations, hopefully their other locations are similar. No house stuff, but they said they can do anything with the engine, trans and chassis. Hope I never need it but they have a moveable lift system so they can put the coach seven feet up.

Take care.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #11

Curious if you documented or photographed your rear bag installation?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Curious if you documented or photographed your rear bag installation?
No. Looked at a few you tubes, and read a few posts. It was pretty straightforward. A little bit of a stretch reaching the top nut, but luckily you can get enough pull with one hand to break it loose.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably opt to remove the left rear tires. It was a little bit of contortion to get the bag out because of the compressor in the way. Had to pass it over and around the drive line/rear axle. Took a bit of finagling, but luckily I had read a hint about the zip ties.

Good luck

Tags
ace, air, replace, replacement