Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

Air bags not inflating is the symptom

I have a 2003 Newmar Kountrystar DP 5.9 ISB and having an issues with the airbags inflating when the compression in the tanks are less than about 65 pound. I believe the issue is the air compressor located on the engine, but not positive on that. I have been doing some testing (I'm safe at home doing the testing) and the problem does not happen when there is more then 65 pounds in the air tanks or higher, but if i take the air out of the tank the problem comes back. When i rev the engine up to about 1500 RPM's the air pump starts working again. I read somewhere that carbon can build up in the compressor and a possible problem, but not sure that's the issue with mine. Has anyone experienced this or suggestions on repairing or other test to narrow down the issue?
Dan Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #2

Couple of questions:

1. Have you opened the primary tank DRAIN to verify that the AIR DRYER is functioning properly?

2. What is PSI max? Same as before this problem"?

3. When you build to max PSI and shut off the engine, how long does it take for PSI to drop 20 PSI?

4. And, the least expensive component in the "please built proper PSI" is the AIR GOVERNOR. Under $25.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #3

Brett

1. When you say open the primary tank drain are you referring to the tanks located in the front of the motorhome and pulling the drain line cable? I'm not sure how this related to verifying air dryer functionality. Is there something specific that is supposed to happen when the lines are pulled?

2. The max PSI when the pump is working goes to 120 and that is the same as before this problem.

3. I have not tested #3, but will run out there now and get the pressure to 120 and then maybe in 1/2 hour check it, so stay tuned for that. I'm assuming probable leak somewhere.

The funny thing is the problem is new after 18 years owning this MH and it came on suddenly
Old 02-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

I just drained both tanks as I'm not sure what one is the main tank. I started the MH and let is run for about 1 minute and turned it off and it did put some air in both tanks, not much but some. I assume this tells me the pump is working although not sure how efficiently it's working.

I just let the pressure fill to 130 (my previous post said 120 and the was a mistake). 130 is the max pressure on mine.

I'll let it sit for about 1/2 hour and see where the tanks are.

I feel like the problem is intermittent as it seemed to pump up fine during my last test, but the original problem happened a few days ago and I let the MH run for no less than 15 minuets and the airbag did not come up at all, then suddenly they started to pump up.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #5

It took a little over an hour for the rear to drop 20 PSI, the front is holding at 130.

I did spay soapy water on the airlines of the rear airbags and did not see any leaks. Did the same spray test at the air dyer and no leaks were detected.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

Dan,
I don't know if you did or not but, also spray the AIR BAGS too. I had some decent leaks for years. I could not seem to track them down. Then, one day about a month or so ago, I parked the coach in the garage and, as I walked around the front end, in the quiet of the garage, I could actually hear some hissing. I got out my trusty spray bottle and slid under the big beast and sprayed whatever I could spray. Well, I could find NOTHING.

But, I could still hear it. Then, I decided to try spraying the air bags just for grins. WOW, did I have a leak or what? My left front air had a severe leak. So, long story short, I also had leaks in the rear bags too but, not as severe. My right front was the only one not leaking. But, it was as old as the rest so, I replaced all four.

That slowed my leak down by quite a bit. But, I still had one. I traced it down to a pressure protection valve on one of my air tanks. I zoomed over to a local Freightliner repair center and picked one up for a whopping $17.00!

Now, with all that repaired or replaced, I can pump that system to 120, and walk away from it for almost a week and it's down to 100. I figure that's good enough. Hope you get yours straightened out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

Just so you know, you will get no air to the suspension until your PSI climbs over 70.

There are pressure protection valves in the system that prevent the tank air from flowing to anything except the brakes until 70 PSI is built up.

Knowing that, you may need to re-evaluate what your problem is.

You have 3 tanks in the system. One, the wet tank, has no gauge. If that has a leak, you won't know it, unless your under it while running. A leak in the lines to it will cause slow air buildup.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know if you really have an issue. I've owned three DP's. None of them inflated the air bags at that low of pressure. On my last and current Freightliner coach, they wouldn't fill the airbags until the coach got above 100+ psi. I'm guessing they're valved to do that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #9

Thank you all for your input. I do have a real issue as I've owned the coach for 18 years and it has always took approximately 2-4 minutes for the air to get up to the 70 pounds and start the raise the coach. Now the coach is taking 15 minutes or longer to get to that level unless I rev the motor up to about 1400 RPM's and that seems to work. Once it get it over that threshold (70 PSI) everything works perfectly. So for some reason at low RPM, the system does not seem to be inflating the tanks at a normal flow.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #10

I may have missed this question and answer ; my speed reading is not the best.

When was the last time the air system dryer was serviced ?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have been following this thread also, because I am having the same issue with the air bags not inflating , but mine is that the air pressure is taking forever to build up..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #12

Thank you all for your help and advise to my airbag situation, and as I could not solve it myself, I took it down to Freightliner for them to fix it. Below is what they found and the solution. I have not picked up the coach, but the service writer said he tested it and pressure built up right away and the airbags inflated.

"removed the discharge line from the air compressor and blew shop air through it. and dislodged a bunch of dirt and debris. removed the air dryer and found there was dirt build up around the baseof the filter causing the slow build up. there is a small air leak but after 2 mins you can hear a small burst of air close to the engine and eh air leak hissing goes away. and the gauge reads close to 127 psi. sprayed soap and water around the air bags and air lines couldn't find an air leak."
Old 03-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Change the filter in my air dryer and made all the difference in the world..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air