Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Alarm at dash

I just had an beeping alarm start at my dash board. Just a constant beeping sound. No other indicator lights are going on to show what the problem is. Any thoughts?
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #2

Ignition on or off? If on then check your reclining driver seat is fully retracted.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The two beepers I have in my coach are low air pressure and jacks down. The jacks down alarm is usually because the fluid reservoir is low as it uses a float switch to determine if the jacks are up.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. I will check reservoir on levelers. Lights are out indicating they are up, but I will check further. My driver seat is electric except for the back rest which is manual.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I also just noticed that all my gauges shut off,( pointers return to 0 or far left) intermittently. When this happens, motor is running. Even tach is at zero. If I tap the dash, they all come on. Maybe a loose ground or short?
Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
I also just noticed that all my gauges shut off,( pointers return to 0 or far left) intermittently. When this happens, motor is running. Even tach is at zero. If I tap the dash, they all come on. Maybe a loose ground or short?
I think this last post gives us something to work with.

Yes, I agree it may be a loose wire or ground or, more directly, a problem with the module that sends the data to the gauges. This is not the ECU, but a "translator" module (someone will post the correct term) that allows the gauges to read the information. The alarm is probably in response to one or more of the gauges reading a low or dangerous value.

Wait for someone familiar with Freightliner chime in about how the gauges are fed information, but this sounds like your problem.

Just to illustrate, I had a one-time similar incident in my coach. Alarm screamed and nearly all gauges went to zero though the coach ran and drove fine. Shut down, waited a minute, restarted, and all has been fine since. Found the module in the rear of the coach, worked the connectors a bit, and all seems to be fine.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I will do some further investigation.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #8

I posted a testing document to your question about gauges . Some of the info you need maybe in that document .

Our Freightliner chassis use separate sensors for the park brake warning ; light and buzzer ; you didn't mention exactly when the buzzing starts , so if the buzzing is only when the engine is running and shifting into gear , then one of the sensors is bad .
The two are a redundant feature , if you have buzzer , but no light , bad sensor . Light but no buzzer , bad sensor ; both light and buzzer , problems with the park brake release .

Grid 2 D in this diagram of our air system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner air system diagram 1999.pdf (312.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #9

Coming home today we experienced a quick dash outage and alarm, lasting only a second or two. A white screen box came up but was such a short duration I could not read what was said. By the time I noticed something amiss the dash gauges came back on. Never experienced this before. Did not repeat the rest of the way home. Any ideas ?
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Coming home today we experienced a quick dash outage and alarm, lasting only a second or two. A white screen box came up but was such a short duration I could not read what was said. By the time I noticed something amiss the dash gauges came back on. Never experienced this before. Did not repeat the rest of the way home. Any ideas ?
Freightliner has used three different gauge packages ( that I know about ) between 1999 and 2007 the system they started using in 2007 MIGHT be the one still in use so , I don't know if this info will cover your chassis .
If it doesn't appear to cover your dash a call to Freightliner is in order , have your serial number handy . 1-800-385-4357
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LBCU info and diagnostics.pdf (220.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I posted a testing document to your question about gauges . Some of the info you need maybe in that document .

Our Freightliner chassis use separate sensors for the park brake warning ; light and buzzer ; you didn't mention exactly when the buzzing starts , so if the buzzing is only when the engine is running and shifting into gear , then one of the sensors is bad .

The two are a redundant feature , if you have buzzer , but no light , bad sensor . Light but no buzzer , bad sensor ; both light and buzzer , problems with the park brake release .

Grid 2 D in this diagram of our air system.
I have narrowed the alarm beep to the parking brake. When RV is running, parking brake on, in gear, alarm beeps and brake light is on. I assume this is to tell you brake is on.
When I release parking brake (air by the way), RV in gear, parking brake light goes out but beep continues. Sounds like a bad parking brake sensor. I am having difficulty reading the schematic to locate where the sensor is located so I can get information to order a new one. Any ideas?
Old 07-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
I have narrowed the alarm beep to the parking brake. When RV is running, parking brake on, in gear, alarm beeps and brake light is on. I assume this is to tell you brake is on.
When I release parking brake (air by the way), RV in gear, parking brake light goes out but beep continues. Sounds like a bad parking brake sensor. I am having difficulty reading the schematic to locate where the sensor is located so I can get information to order a new one. Any ideas?
I would still be concerned with the symptoms you mentioned in post #5. The gauge issue may be related to the cause for the parking brake warning--or not.

It's not really clear if your gauges still fail to register when this alarm is sounding.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I would still be concerned with the symptoms you mentioned in post #5. The gauge issue may be related to the cause for the parking brake warning--or not.

It's not really clear if your gauges still fail to register when this alarm is sounding.
The gauges appear to wiring fine now, with the exception of the engine temp gauge. I the wires from the engine temp gauge and plugged them into my air pressure guage. It moved the needle. I also checked for power at the end that plugs into my engine temp gauge. 7 volts as it should. I am pretty sure the guage is broken. The alarm is tagged as parking brake chime. Pic to follow.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
PhotoClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210717_110020.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	336295

Tags
dash