Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey. The tansmission control module list only the top gear that I am using. Can this be replaced with the dual indicator that lists the current gear as well as the top gear selected?

I'm wondering if the information is there and its just a matter of getting the newer control module.

Thanks

W8RLM - Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey. The tansmission control module list only the top gear that I am using. Can this be replaced with the dual indicator that lists the current gear as well as the top gear selected?

I'm wondering if the information is there and its just a matter of getting the newer control module.

Thanks

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Bob, Freightliner went back to the 2-window transmission display in the 2007 model year. I don't think there was any change to the transmission.

2 calls will answer your question. First to Freightliner, second to Allison. FL may verify if it was only the display that changed, or if more is needed. Allison should be able to verify if any programming is needed for the ECM.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
You might want to try the VSMPC system. It gives you the gear selected and the gear achieved, plus so much more. Do a search on it and think it over
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hondo,

I have tried to find information on the VSMPC system with no results. Can you direct me to a website, etc.?

Thanks

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bob
Here is a link to the site.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I'll look into it.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #8

I installed the Silverleaf VMSpc to an old Toshiba W98 computer. To that I installed a remote 8" display next to the monitor for my full-time rear-vision system (about where a rear-view mirror is on a car).

It does everything you'd ever reasonably want. And, I suspect, for considerably less than a new transmission control module would cost.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to the gear selected/gear attained readout (which doesn't work on mine because mine is an Allison 1000), VMSpc has a very valuable feature that many don't recognize - it captures and stores all of error messages on the chassis. These can be invaluable in trouble shooting problems. I had a speedometer problem and a highly intermittent failure where using the exhaust brake would shut down the engine. VMSpc recorded error information in both cases that helped to isolate and repair those problems.

The other thing that is great about VMSpc is that you can resize each of the "gauges" in the display, making those that are most important to you larger. I enlarged the turbo boost gauge because that is the one that I like to monitor and making it bigger makes watching it easier.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting ready to go on a 6,000 mile trip through 25 states. I have installed the VMSpc but it is my understanding with the 07 the transmission "signal" has changed and I will be able to read the gear selected/gear attained but not the diagnostics for the tranny. I will have all the engine diagnostics. Is this true?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #11

Trip Tec displays the current gear being used in the backup monitor screen along with tempertures etc. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote