Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Alternator Replacement Leece Neville to Delco Remy 28si

My Leece Neville 160 amp alternator died, and all of the alternator rebuild shops in my area seem to have closed. There are several old threads on IRV2 that led me to the Delco Remy 28si line of alternators, which is a direct replacement for the Leece Neville A0012824LC 160 amp unit.

The Delco Remy 8600308 is the 12 volt 160 amp version

The Delco Remy 8600307 is the 12 volt 200 amp version

I installed the 8600307 as that was what I could get quickly. Works great, and bolted on to the 3126 Cat engine with no problems.

The connections below are for what I had to do on my 2000 Holiday Rambler on the Freightliner chassis. There are other considerations for later Monaco units.

The lead from the coach ignition switch is not used, and should be taped off. The lead that previously went to the "to DUVAC" terminal on the Leece Neville should be connected to the "remote sense" terminal on the Delco Remy.

Installation instructions for the 28si alternator series can be downloaded from
8600307 28SI New Alternator | Product Details | Delco Remy

Maybe this info will help someone else with a bad Leece Neville alternator.

Fred
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Fred, Thanks for the info. one question - how did you get the pulley off?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

It took a lot of effort, and luckily I had a gear puller to use.

Surprisingly the old alternator pulley had a key to prevent spinning, but the new delco remy has a smooth shaft without keyway. The new alternator has an allen wrench type fitting on the shaft to use to hold the shaft while tightening the pulley nut.

Fred
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Fred thanks for that info. My Leece Neville 160 amp died on me on the road. The replacement was a delco remy 28si. I have it installed but the engine would not shut off at the switch. I also have the DUVAC system on my 2000 alpine coach 350 cummins. It went out to check it the next day and the alternator was a little warm and the engine was cold. Don't know what the issue was there. I ended up buy a new Leece Neville, but I want to use the 28si as a spare or sell it. Can you give me more details on the installation process. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
My Leece Neville 160 amp alternator died, and all of the alternator rebuild shops in my area seem to have closed. There are several old threads on IRV2 that led me to the Delco Remy 28si line of alternators, which is a direct replacement for the Leece Neville A0012824LC 160 amp unit.

The Delco Remy 8600308 is the 12 volt 160 amp version

The Delco Remy 8600307 is the 12 volt 200 amp version

I installed the 8600307 as that was what I could get quickly. Works great, and bolted on to the 3126 Cat engine with no problems.

The connections below are for what I had to do on my 2000 Holiday Rambler on the Freightliner chassis. There are other considerations for later Monaco units.

The lead from the coach ignition switch is not used, and should be taped off. The lead that previously went to the "to DUVAC" terminal on the Leece Neville should be connected to the "remote sense" terminal on the Delco Remy.

Installation instructions for the 28si alternator series can be downloaded from
8600307 28SI New Alternator | Product Details | Delco Remy

Maybe this info will help someone else with a bad Leece Neville alternator.

Fred
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

It appears that the Delco Remy unit can be wired differently for different installations.

I can only guess at what your problem may have been with the 28SI. The install instructions (web site referenced above) has this info about the I or ignition terminal:

The Indicator lamp/ignition terminal can serve as a current source, sink, or both, depending on how it is connected.The install instructions also state: It will charge properly with only the battery and ground leads connected. Use of the other terminals is optional based on need.
As indicated above, I did not connect the lead from the coach ignition switch, but simply taped it off. The lead that went to the DUVAC terminal on the Leece Neville went to the "remote sense" terminal on the Delco Remy.

My guess is that your lead from the coach ignition switch got connected to the "I" (Indicator lamp/ignition terminal) and that created a problem.

If you ever have to install the 28SI on your coach, I'd start with just the battery and ground connections and see how it functions.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Fred
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just had to have the alternator on my '01 3126B replaced and was told by Freightliner not to use the Delco as it was not the replacement. CAT also told me that they do not supply the alternator with the engine. They send Freightliner a blank engine and Freightliner puts on all the extra gear as per specs. The alternator is the Leece, but the pulley is a CAT item.
My post on Cat engines tells the story. Leece alt thru ASE was $435 and the mobile repair shop picked it up instead of me and charged me $690 and said they gave me a deal at $100 off of MSRP. The pulley came from CAT and was, my price if I had picked it up, $74. They picked it up and charged me $190.
I don't mind being sc####d a little, but a total r$$e was too much.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

Bigdog, I understand what Freightliner is saying but I have read many posts of RV owners installing the Delco Remy. I ended up buying a new L/N from Freightliner that costed me $492.00. After many discussions with so many folks, I believe the new D/R was just not installed probably. I was going to sell it, but now I think I will use it as my spare. I'm going to try to find a spare pulley for it as well. I truly think the D/R will work, you will just have to make sure to install it correctly. Thanks to all of you who responded to my issue and gave me relief and confident about the D/R. Happy camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I just had to have the alternator on my '01 3126B replaced and was told by Freightliner not to use the Delco as it was not the replacement. CAT also told me that they do not supply the alternator with the engine. They send Freightliner a blank engine and Freightliner puts on all the extra gear as per specs. The alternator is the Leece, but the pulley is a CAT item.
My post on Cat engines tells the story. Leece alt thru ASE was $435 and the mobile repair shop picked it up instead of me and charged me $690 and said they gave me a deal at $100 off of MSRP. The pulley came from CAT and was, my price if I had picked it up, $74. They picked it up and charged me $190.
I don't mind being sc####d a little, but a total r$$e was too much.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You are right. It was not installed correctly.

My personal opinion is that the Leece-Neville alternator is far superior to the Delco-Remy alternator.

After experiencing a couple of bad rebuilds I now have my alternator always rebuilt with authentic Leece-Neville parts.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

The L/N is not a bad alternator, it's just cost more. I will have mine rebuilt from now on but will use the D/R as a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You are right. It was not installed correctly.

My personal opinion is that the Leece-Neville alternator is far superior to the Delco-Remy alternator.

After experiencing a couple of bad rebuilds I now have my alternator always rebuilt with authentic Leece-Neville parts.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy to see this post and help me find a replacement alt for my LN 110-912. Today I purchased a Wilson 200A to my original 160A at O'Reily's (a 28SI type) and all the info published I was confident on the install.
I was able to get a belt pn from Freightlner (Cummins didn't show one) as a 91 5/8" Gates K080910 and it fit like a glove.
The charge air cooler line and the air filter had to come out for access...and then I found that the bracket and wire harness for the fan clutch had to also be removed to properly position the belt.
But I fired it back up a bit ago and had a good 14.2 output right away. Happy guy.

Tags
ace, alternator, replace, replacement