Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Alternator Seized and snapped the belt

What started as a simple radiator cleaning got complex real quick…

Based on suggestions from other posts, I was out spraying Simple Green on my radiator to get rid of all the accumulated gunk. After the second application and rinse, I decided to start the engine to blow out any remaining water and debris. After starting the engine, went around back and notice NO air was coming through the radiator. Stopped the engine and climbed under with my flashlight and saw the serpentine belt was hanging loose. Looked further and saw a snapped end of the belt. Thank God this was in my driveway.

Started checking pulleys and quickly found the alternator was seized. Fortunately on my Winnebago Tour ISL 400hp Cummins, there is a bunch of room (relatively speaking) on that side of the engine so you can get in there to get the alternator off. Positive connection came off easy but negative connection was rusted on and had to lock the vice grips on to get it off. Four mounting bolts came off easy.

170 amp replacement alternator should be in on Tuesday.

Anyone else have an alternator seize on their MH?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
It has not happen to me; yet! The engine is still under warranty. Did they send you a new one free?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who is sending you the replacement?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Same thing happened to me, also in my driveway, about 5 years ago. We were literally leaving (or so we thought) for our winter getaway. I went out to warm up the rig, and noticed that the dashboard voltmeter was low. Raised up the idle speed a bit; still no joy. Shut down and started checking back in the engine compartment; found the broken belt on top the engine. The alternator was seized.

We were still under chassis and engine warranty, and Freightliner covered it completely, with no hassles, but it took 3 days for the local dealer to get one, and install it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Our coach with the 425 cummins was just a few weeks old when we started out on a trip. I pulled it out of the shed and was about to hook the towed up. Saw something under the shed and upon investigation found it to be a broken belt. Apparently the alternator had seized and when I started the engine it burned the belt into. Glad it did not wait for us to get on the road.
I asked Freightliner to send a mechanic, a belt and a new alternator to the house. They sent a huge wrecker and towed the thing 30-40 miles to their shop and installed the new alternator. Go figure which cost more.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you dengraham for your suggestion to call FCCC!

Even though I ordered a new alternator through my local Cummins shop, I called FCCC today and they said it was still under warranty and to fax them the bill for the parts and they would reimburse me.

Son Joe and I crawled under the coach, slithered near the engine and put the alternator on and managed to get the belt on correctly too!. Started up fine and I'm good to go.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's what counts.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,
You are welcome. I'm glad it worked out so well for you. How many miles do you have on your motor home? My belt "squeaks" when I turn off the engine so I am wondering of my alternator is starting to "tighten up?"
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I have about 35000 miles on the coach. It would be tough to determine what is actually squeaks back there - belt or alternator - with all the motor noise. Mine was worst at startup then would quiet down.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Alternator and A/C Clutch are seized up. Snapped the belt. Now I just have to change everything out, might as well change the water pump too its a 2003 with 80K on it.
amocochucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amocochucker View Post
Alternator and A/C Clutch are seized up. Snapped the belt. Now I just have to change everything out, might as well change the water pump too its a 2003 with 80K on it.
Not a bad plan because the old pump has a steel impeller and when the bearings go out, the impeller chews out the casting unless you catch it quickly when it starts leaking coolant. The new pump uses a plastic/nylon impeller.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #12

Our coach also sits in our driveway with a seized alternator. I'm going to unseize it with a socket wrench and long leverage bar then drive it to the shop for repair.
Our coach sits for months without starting the engine. How long was your coach sitting.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

Curious as to the manufacturer of the seized alternators? Bearing problem that wasn't greased when sealed?

Just wondering if it is something to have handy for a spare
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

Alternator Seized and snapped the belt

Just wondering if this is a large scale problem on these DPs. When should you have belts changed and alt and AC checked? Have a 2006 C7 Cat on a Freightliner chassis. Sits a lot between seasons but we live in it full time. Not really possible to drive it once a month and believe that just starting it up is not enough to help and actually causes problems. Never had belts and hoses changed. About time?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote