Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Annual Scheduled Maintenance

I bought a used 2016 33.3 Palazzo in February with 2800 miles on it. The dealer changed the engine and generator oil at time of purchase. It now has 9300 miles and I'd like to do an annual preventative maintenance before next season.

The owner's manual refers to a six month 6000 mile initial service and then a 12 month 15000 mile service. Delta Truck center in Stockton is 30 miles from me and is an Oasis service center. I contacted the service manager and explained my situation. He said with so few miles on my coach he would recommend their basic "lube oil filter" service that comes with a 35 point inspection for about $450 plus tax. For the generator he said they would charge two hours labor at $154/hr plus parts.

I think his recommendation was based on saving me money. He said that he's had a couple of customers request they follow the owners manual for the third step. It took 22 hours of labor! They also don't make appointments. He said to come anytime. When asked if I should drop off or wait. He said the service would take about 3 hours and to call ahead to see if they were busy.

I was a little disappointed that he didn't recommend following the owner's manual's service recommendations. I thought I'd have some piece of mind having the six month and/or the 12 month service schedule performed. I know it may not be necessary, but I thought it would be nice to know everything on those lists was inspected or serviced. Things like lubing the foot throttle, checking the ride height, checking the air dryer, checking the torque on the u bolts, wheel hubs, brakes, etc. My original thought was to have a comprehensive service this time and maybe next year do a basic LOF.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone used Delta Truck Center in Stockton, CA? What was your experience?

2) What level of service would you request? Basic LOF + 35 point inspection or what the manual says?

3) Should I just go to Speedco?
parks0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
irv2 member doublebs (from your area) might have some insight, I think he uses Speedco.

I have not used Delta Truck Center.

I use Sacramento Truck Center. I elected not to do the 6K service, but I had them performed the 15K service at 13K. I provided the tear-out checklist from my Freightliner Owners Manual, and they returned it to me with everything completed on the checklist. I also had them perform annual Maintenance on the generator (28.2 hours at the time), which was only oil and filter change. Total was 5.7 hours on the 15K service, and 1 hour for the generator.

FYI; Sacramento, Delta, Fresno and Bakersfield Truck Centers are all owned by the same company.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Was 13k your first oil change?
parks0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, I had an oil change done by the dealer at 6k, while my coach was in for it's last warranty work.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #5

I have used the Speedco in Ripon several times with excellent results. I watch and make sure that they get all the zeros for grease. Also I buy my filters etc and have them on hand incase they don't have them in stock.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Last March I purchased a Class A Diesel Pusher with 5,600 miles on in in AZ. I asked the selling dealer to do all the service before delivery but was never able to confirm that anything had been done. I drove cross country and back over the summer and returned to AZ in Oct with 15,000 miles on it. I had the rig serviced in Nov at an independent service center in Phoenix, Massey Diesel. Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, water filter and lube this and that and overal check this and that for $500. I also had the generator serviced, oil change, oil filter for $250. They also refered me to an Aqua Hot independent service tech. They wouldn’t touch the Aqua Hot. He was a Mobil tech and did a complete service for $200.

I think it would be good for you to get the same service on your rig as above and then you should be good to good for another year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, maintenance