Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another Freightliner Recall

Just getting through the last few, and here comes another Fregihtliner recall. This one for the rear lights. FL-917-01 says that the rear lights may not function because of internal cracked solder joints in the PDM. Looks like they don't have the parts yet. The letter says to stay tuned. Another letter will come when they have the parts to fix it. Anyone remember their hand signals?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2022, 12:17 AM   #2
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Just getting through the last few, and here comes another Fregihtliner recall. This one for the rear lights. FL-917-01 says that the rear lights may not function because of internal cracked solder joints in the PDM. Looks like they don't have the parts yet. The letter says to stay tuned. Another letter will come when they have the parts to fix it. Anyone remember their hand signals?
Got my letter today. This is now their third attempt to get this right!! Poor quality control sure is expensive!
Old 02-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

I was at the factory on the 4th and they replaced my PDM for the second time. They said there were issues found in a batch of the replacement PDM's so they are replacing them all again.
qbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy

I received my 3rd recall letter for my PDM in the past 3 years.
1st recall June 2019 PDM checked good
PDM failed August 2021 and replaced under warranty
2nd recall letter September 2021 Freightliner said PM is good
3rd recall letter on 2/24, 4 days ago and the PDM is still working so I guess I'll just make a paper airplane out of the letter and keep my fingers crossed.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:11 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
After doing some research on the government's recall website, I found that the estimated percentage of vehicles involved with this defect is 1.1% out of 25,374. Just an FYI.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yesterday I received my 4th recall letter. Today I went to Western Star and had the fix installed. It amounted to a 18" long wire harness that bypasses the heavier loads from circuit board in the PDM. All the PDM relays and fuses still function as always. It takes less than 3 minutes to install.

I sure hope this is the end of the PDM saga for me!!!
Old 04-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #7

I just had my PDM replaced in January when I got back from Florida. Now, I get another letter.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #8

I had my recall done at Freightliner a week ago. The ended up replacing a wiring harness on my coach, which I thought was a bit odd since the recall was for the PDM.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The wiring harness is to address the issues with the pdm. Not sure exactly what it does by mine was just done at nirvc by a Freightliner tech. He showed me the harness and it has 3 fuses in it. 30 amp if I remember correctly. Probably I need to get some spares for just in case
Old 04-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Had mine installed this week. The harness bypasses the load from the PDM's internal circuit board. Power is routed directly to the taillights, towed lights and the condenser fan for the dash air via a power connection directly to the chassis battery. The PDM's relays and control fuses are still operational.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
This very curious! I never received a recall notice for the PDM problem. I did get notices for the valve stem recalls. A check of DTNA Connect does show recalls for the PDM, in fact the FL917-A is listed 10 times. DTNA Connect shows a FL788-A chassis rear PDM recall as completed. So I guess I'll just wait and see if I get a recall notice. I have no pressing desire to go spent a day at the local FL shop unless absolutely necessary.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone experienced a problem with rear lights since installing the PDM harness? We are experiencing the same problems we had before we got a new PDM last year. We had the harness recall done 6 weeks ago and now we have no rear lights again.
Linda
2018 newmar Ventana
Smitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #13

We had the recall done 2 months ago, no problems so far.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
Rd1

I understand from a source at NHTSA there is a 5th recall. If you think thats too many, one of their step vans is up to recall 39. You have to wonder if these are a reflection of the engineering or the management decision making, or both!

I had been at logger heads with fccc since 2017 re this issue (still on going, mostly documented in the newmar forum). Their own engineer's initial diagnosis was, 'Too much amp draw from the wiring harness, causing the relay to shut down'. The original behavior was very consistent. After about 30 min of tail lights and/or the dash AC turned ON, the failure occurred. A shutdown overnight, the problem was resolved. This was consistent with fccc's own engineer's observation. Now fccc is spreading this vicious rumor(!!) about some circuit cracking. Actually my own dealer had mentioned it back in early 2020 when I had the 2nd recall. If the circuit is the problem, they have had 2 years to resolve it!

If this defect is indeed caused by some circuit component or the soldering failure (as some have suggested), how come it recovers? Furthermore, why is it only effecting the tail light,markers, turn signals, dash AC (Various fccc chassis may have different components attached to this particular harness) among others?

The PDM generally has 5 or 6 different wiring harnesses attached to it. There are a number of other relays, fuses, etc on the same board. How come no other component is impacted? This issue has always been effecting tail lights (plus some others) and it continues to do so. Whatever the correct resolution to this defect maybe, it is likely costly. So the correct resolution is ignored. Unfortunately DTNA/fccc have a habit of covering up various safety defects relating to their product lines. USB tag axles (2016-2017), Radiator fan housing (2013-2019), (it was resolved only due to loss of a legal claim). This pdm/lights issue (5 years on) and is only getting some attention due to direct contacts with the NHTSA administrators.

Just one or two voices are not sufficient to get real resolutions to such issues. NHTSA only responds when there is public pressure. Otherwise they only respond IF the manufacturer voluntarily notifies NHTSA about their safety defects. DTNA/FCCC have a habit of covering up their safety defects. If you have any doubts, you can review this CONSENT ORDER issued by NHTSA for dtna/fccc ignoring a host of safety defects repeatedly.

Continually failing to resolve this issue, now after 5 years, this will eventually call up some one's number. Driving without the tail lights or turn signal, in a rain storm, or fog or at night will eventually cause some one to experience a collision. Even though, the liability lies with dtna/fccc and the RV manufacturer, someone will suffer. So I hope those who have had their recalls recently and are still experiencing the failure would consider filling a report, just to keep NHTSA carrying their legal mandate.

At the same time, one would hope the new FCCC CEO (Jeff Sather ) who has apparently been seen on these forums and who claims to 'care' for the customers, would perhaps explain why this serious safety issue among others are repeatedly ignored by dtna/fccc? How could this conduct be considered 'caring' for the customer Mr. Sather?

Tags
freightliner, recall