Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
DJJ

Any harm in disconnecting alternator and driving on?

Alternator started putting out almost 17 volts. I was only about 15 miles from home after our summer travels so I figured the batteries could take it for that short amount of time. I will take it to be rebuilt.

But I started thinking, what if I had needed to drive a long way. Is their any reason I don't know of why the alternator can't be disconnected electrically while driving. Other then the oblivious, batteries are not being charged.

FL XC chassis, Cat 3126B.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are measuring 17v at the battery...I would see if there is an voltage regulator adjustment on the Alternator to dial it back in, check the connection for the sense Lead...or replace it if it is not functioning properly.

Depending on how your bi-directional relay reacts...you may or may not wind up loosing the chassis battery...and all the control that it gives you for the engine and drive train. I personally wouldn’t recommend that course of action...unless told by a chassis engineer that it would be safe and for how long.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

I guess it all depends upon how long you disconnect it. Some of the modern electronics in vehicles are real persnickety about voltage. That said, I'm thinking that you could limp along by disconnecting the battery (negative terminal), run for a half hour or so and then reconnect it for 10-15 minutes to recharge the battery, rinse and repeat. Probably the worst thing overcharging the battery would do is boil off some water which is better than sitting on the side of the road. It will be interesting to see what other folks have to say.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Wouldn't running the generator, and therefore powering the converter, make up for the lack of an alternator?
Old 09-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

I had a problem where the alternator stopped charging. I ran the generator for better than 70 miles with no problems.

I don't know how far I drove before I figured I had a problem, I just noticed voltmeter showing around 12.0V pulled over and checked alternator output. Cranked up gen set and kept going.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
I had a problem where the alternator stopped charging. I ran the generator for better than 70 miles with no problems.
The alternator died on our old dutchstar between Alaska and the Yukon. Ran all the way to Kamloops, BC before I could source a new replacement. Plugging in every night and running the generator on the long travel days. No problem....
Just a matter of keeping the battery voltage up.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I guess it all depends upon how long you disconnect it. Some of the modern electronics in vehicles are real persnickety about voltage. That said, I'm thinking that you could limp along by disconnecting the battery (negative terminal), run for a half hour or so and then reconnect it for 10-15 minutes to recharge the battery, rinse and repeat. Probably the worst thing overcharging the battery would do is boil off some water which is better than sitting on the side of the road. It will be interesting to see what other folks have to say.
No, no, no, don't disconnect the battery and run just on the alternator.

The alternator will run at extremely high voltage, without a battery, and start burning up electronics.

Disable the alternator and start the generator. If you have bi-directional charging, you'll be fine, the house charger will support the chassis battery, otherwise jam the boost switch in boost mode to do the same thing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
DJJ

Any harm in disconnecting alternator and driving on?

I used my scan gauge D to determine the voltage. The red battery light and for some reason the abs light came on also. When I got off the interstate and came to a red light, while at idle, the lights would go out and the voltage would come down and lights would go out. This cycle repeated all the to backing the RV in the carport. I'm sure it's the voltage regulator in the alternator.

Gary1p, 6 years ago, I had to do the same thing the last few days of a trip. Alternator quit charging all together. Just connected the shore power at night to recharge batteries. And ran the generator for a couple hours in the middle of the day while driving.

To my way of thinking if the alternator does not put out voltage to charge the batteries and I could drive several days like that by charging the batteries at night. In an over charge situation was their a reason I could not disconnect the Alternator?

The coach is a Newmar Dutch Star 2003 and does have the bi-directional charging.

And this is all academic. If in the future my lack of luck with alternators continues.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not a problem just run generator and converter and monitor voltage, also disconnect alternator sensing wire.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No, no, no, don't disconnect the battery and run just on the alternator.

The alternator will run at extremely high voltage, without a battery, and start burning up electronics.

Disable the alternator and start the generator. If you have bi-directional charging, you'll be fine, the house charger will support the chassis battery, otherwise jam the boost switch in boost mode to do the same thing.
listen to TwinBoat. alternately, you could hot wire the relay. Once I had an alternator trouble and used a my HF charger plugged into my block heater outlet to charge the chassis batteries and ran the generator to power that and my house batteries. The FL didn't know the difference. I keep that HF charger there to charge my chassis Deepcycle AGM batteries when we are parked at home. ,
Old 09-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

My bad, I should have said disconnect the alternator and run on the battery, but even then the coach would still be getting 17 volts when the alternator was hooked back up. I'll go stand in the corner for 10 minutes.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Alternator started putting out almost 17 volts. I was only about 15 miles from home after our summer travels so I figured the batteries could take it for that short amount of time. I will take it to be rebuilt.

But I started thinking, what if I had needed to drive a long way. Is their any reason I don't know of why the alternator can't be disconnected electrically while driving. Other then the oblivious, batteries are not being charged.

FL XC chassis, Cat 3126B.

Jeff
Let us know what the problem was, regulator or whatever
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Let us know what the problem was, regulator or whatever

Will do.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
DJJ

Milford47,
Regulator was bad, $89 part. Back and running.
Jeff

Tags
alternator