Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Best motion control air bag device?

I have replaced my shocks with Koni's and added a larger front anti-sway bar. I still get more nose dive when the brakes are applied than I want.

I considering adding a motion control valve/devise in the front air bags. The are 2 devises offered, one by SuperSteer which baffles the air both ways. One from Source Engineering that restricts air only one way.

Both say their version is the best

Any one try these?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Some have put a valve from home depot, so that it is adjustable to the dampening they like.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Some have put a valve from home depot, so that it is adjustable to the dampening they like.
Thanks that might be worth a try.
The front is 1/2" Pex tubing (rear 1/4") so air can pass out of the bag fairly quick causing a nose dive.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I went with the Source Engineering valve. I like their products. I know theirs only works one way, depending on which direction you install it. I installed mine to slow the dipping. My shocks should be doing the recovery portion.

Once installed, it wasn't a huge difference because my coach is pretty stable since I have a tag. There have been a couple of times where I can see they've slowed the dip and they do help the elephant walk out of driveways.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I went with the Source Engineering valve. I like their products. I know theirs only works one way, depending on which direction you install it. I installed mine to slow the dipping. My shocks should be doing the recovery portion.

Once installed, it wasn't a huge difference because my coach is pretty stable since I have a tag. There have been a couple of times where I can see they've slowed the dip and they do help the elephant walk out of driveways.
Did you just do the front? I'm thinking restricting the air leaving the bag?

Took me about 3 hours adjusting the air control valves but I finally got the coach level on all corners. (level side to side and 1" higher in rear)
Old 06-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a tag axle so I didn't need them on the rear.

Out of curiosity, you said you spent three hours leveling the coach with 1" in the rear. Is that the measurements chassis manufacturer gave you. Not to insult you, are you aware there are specific ride height measurements from the factory that need to be adjusted within a 1/4". If not set correctly, your coach will handle poorly and can ruin the transmission and driveshaft due to the wrong angles.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have a tag axle so I didn't need them on the rear.

Out of curiosity, you said you spent three hours leveling the coach with 1" in the rear. Is that the measurements chassis manufacturer gave you. Not to insult you, are you aware there are specific ride height measurements from the factory that need to be adjusted within a 1/4". If not set correctly, your coach will handle poorly and can ruin the transmission and driveshaft due to the wrong angles.
Thanks for you concern on the yoke to trans. align. The yoke/pumpkin is now parallel to the trans. Part of the 3 hours was going to Walmart to buy a bag of golf tee's since I don't golf! Factory says you need a wooden golf tee to set the bag height! I had a 2" rear lean and setting the front corrected 90% of it.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You should see a difference in ride and handling. People don't realize that when the ride height is incorrect, it throws off the dynamics of the coach (weight distribution).
Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like a pretty high price for what little they look like but it does cost to develop and market them too. I need to get some more miles on the rig with the new Koni EVO shocks before I commit to the motion control devices.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #10

Just installed the Super Steer MCUs. Made a noticable difference with sidewalk entry/exit, cornering much better and also with trucks passing. Don't feel them going by anymore so I am happy. I opted for the Super Steer units as I wanted better control. My theory was that when stabalizing was needed the Super Steers should do a better job as I always have two units working. Not air direction dependant.
Next up are the Konis. I have the rear FSD units already but not yet installed. Should be able to get the EVO units in August when they are back in stock. I did these same changes to my previous coach with the exception of the front EVO shocks (were adjustable on the old coach) and it had a great ride, so I am doing a repeat.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Should be able to get the EVO units in August when they are back in stock. I did these same changes to my previous coach with the exception of the front EVO shocks (were adjustable on the old coach) and it had a great ride, so I am doing a repeat.
I guess I got lucky as I got my EVO 99 series shocks a couple months ago. Just haven't taken the rig out due to the DW's poor health.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #12

I'm going to try these first.... less than $20 for a set. 1 Piece 1 2" Sharkbite Style Push Fit Ball Valve New | eBay
Liking the fact that they are adjustable.
Will report back after the install and testing.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I'm going to try these first.... less than $20 for a set. 1 Piece 1 2" Sharkbite Style Push Fit Ball Valve New | eBay
Liking the fact that they are adjustable.
Will report back after the install and testing.
Great price. As I remember turning the valve half way is the same as installing MCU's.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #14

Question Use Of 1/2" ball valves for motion control rather than Super Steer

My coach has 1/2" line to the front air bags and 1/4" to the rear on Freightliner XC chassis. I have found 1/4" in plastic and 1/2" in brass. I would like to know if anyone has had success with using these instead of Super Steer or Source Engineering. Haven't found any other manufacturer of similar valves.
jpeto is offline   Reply With Quote