Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Brake and Blinker problem

I just bought a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton and have a couple of issues. First of all the left blinker doesn't work. It does not blink but the right side works fine. All the bulbs are good. Secondly...every time I step on the brake the left blinker also lights up solid. It also comes on with the Exhaust brake. The 4-ways don't work either they come on steady, no flash. The other issue I am having is with the running lights. When I turn on the headlights everything comes on normally but when I turn off the headlights the running lights stay on. I have to go outside and open the battery disconnect to the coach to get them to turn off. Once I close that disconnect again they stay off until the next time. I think there is a control module somewhere that ties all of these circuits together. I just don't know where it is. The chassis is a 2005 Freightliner. Any idea out there? Thx Jerry
Jedoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your first post is about problems .

This appears to be a ground issue for the signal brake ( or a crossed filament in a bulb ) I'd be thinking the grounds in the left rear light sockets would be the place to start . Bad ground and cross fed will overload the flashers and stop them .
Marker lights I'm thinking a sticky relay .

Your exhaust brake activates the brake lights , when active , that's where the exhaust brake factors in.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #3

Brake and Blinker problem

Skip,
Thanks for the info and thoughts about my first post here. I figured I could get some sound advise from someone and I did. The guy bought this coach from replaced both the front headlights with new ones. Maybe he crossed up something there but everything else works. I know bad grounds can be a problem too. Is there a module that has all the blinker and lights going through it on this coach? Thx.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:25 PM   #4

Your coach is new enough that Freightliner's free help line should still be giving out wiring diagram and schematic pdfs.
So give them a call with your chassis serial number .
Does your coach have a smart wheel ?
Switches for cruise and wipers, on the arms of the steering wheel ?

1-800-385-4357 1-800-FTL-HELP

The newest schematics I have are for a 2002 chassis and they are slightly different than my 99 so best to have schematics linked to your serial number .
Wiring changes, happen about as often as some people change their socks .

Both the 2002 and my 99 schematics show a marker light relay .
In a PDM ( Power Distribution Module)like these .

How custom are Freightliner Custom Chassis ? The numbers on the boxes in the first picture are the last of my serial number .Yellow circle , signal and hazard flashers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	346688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	346689  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137 (640x480).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	346690  
Old 10-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #5

No mine does not have the smart wheel. I have called them but never got the schematics for my coach. I'll try again. Thx for the response.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #6

A second thought ; I always have them .

Late last night , I got to thinking about the brake lights illuminating the left signal indicator , and how a bad ground at the rear lights could cross feed brake light power ,to get to that lamp; and kept getting stumped .
Then I started considering other possibilities and , internal issues in the signal light switch came to mind .
I'm currently trying to figure out a test that would eliminate the signal switch as the problem , and will post when I have something .

One question , when the brake pedal is pushed and the left signal dash indicator is on , is the left front signal light also lit up ?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #7

Yes both front and rear are are on. Also the blinker light is a separate bulb from the brake.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedoots View Post
Yes both front and rear are are on. Also the blinker light is a separate bulb from the brake.
Separate signal light on the rear of the coach , from the brake light .

Way different than my 99 that uses a common bulb AND opens up another possibility .

You probably have a trailer wiring adaptor , to take signals from the coach signals and brake lights and change to a common bulb set up on the trailer .
That adaptor module will have to be located , and disconnected to eliminate it as a possible cause of the power back feed.
Issues inside the trailer wiring connector can't be overlooked either .
But the turn indicator coming on is still giving me second thoughts.

Tags
brake, problem