Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Brake controller harness?

I'm working on an '07 Winny Journey on a Freightliner XC-S chassis. I've searched under the dash for the wiring for a brake controller to no avail. The 7-way plug on the rear has the charge line as well as a red/white wire labeled trailer brake so I suspected I'd find a pre-wired connection up there. Can anyone help?

On another note, while searching I found 2 5/16" ground studs welded to the steering column that the nuts had never been tightened. One had about 10 wires and the other 5-6. One of them had arced so much that it melted a hole in a wire loom that was laying against it.

Thanks gang.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

Mine came out of floor left of steering wheel. Coiled up in black shield with brake controller printed on it. has a 6 position plug on it.

Don
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue7 View Post
Mine came out of floor left of steering wheel. Coiled up in black shield with brake controller printed on it. has a 6 position plug on it.

Don
Thanks! There's a foot rest there and I'll unscrew it and take a closer look. Freightliner is great about labeling wiring. I wish all others were the same.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #4

On my 05 National Tropical (XC chassis) I found the harness zip-tied in a bundle to the top side of a bracket above the brake pedal. I could not see it from the floor looking up, but ended up pulling the instrument cluster out to find it.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post
On my 05 National Tropical (XC chassis) I found the harness zip-tied in a bundle to the top side of a bracket above the brake pedal. I could not see it from the floor looking up, but ended up pulling the instrument cluster out to find it.
Ok ..... I'll look from the top as well. I'd thought about doing that but hadn't done it. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

Brake controller harness

First I would call Freightliner (number on board here somewhere) and verify if the harness is on the unit. You'll find the tech people are very helpful. Once done then crawl up under the dash and start cutting zip ties. This was the way I found mine on an '04 FL chassis.
Hint, don't order the FL adaptor plug and wire, you'll need a bank loan for it, just cut the plug off and either hard wire the controller or get fancy and make up a weatherpak connector.
GOOD LUCK,
Bob B.
BlasiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
A couple of weeks ago I wasn't looking for it but was under the dash cutting wire ties looking for a different connector but I do remember seeing a rectangular plug labeled brake controller (something similar). If I remember correctly it was a white colored connector. There are a gazillion wires and wire looms under that dash and that connector may be well hidden.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #8

Thanks for all the tips. I just hard wired it. I used my tracer to locate where the blue brake signal wire entered the cab/dash hoping it would lead me to the pre-wired harness but no luck.

Tags
brake