Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
C7 bucking like crazy

Just got home from a 750 mile trip. Ran flawlessly the whole time but the last 100 miles or so I could sometimes feel a "miss". Got within 1/2 mile of the house and it started bucking like a miss or surge. I replaced both filters just over 1500 miles ago when it died one day and would not start. Changed the filters and off we went.
I'm thinking maybe the primary is plugged again and needs changing and I need to add some algae killer and run it awhile and change it out again.

Going to do this in the morning when it's warmer out but thought I'd ask and see if others might know something I missed.

Also, could not believe it let us get all the way home and into the driveway. Thank you Lord!!

Thanks,
Jim
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry. Put this in the wrong forum. Should be in the Cat Engine section but not sure how to change it.

Moderator, please move if possible.
Jim
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Jim,
Just curious, what makes you think it's algae? Could it be some form of rust? How about just plain old dirt? Now, I don't know how dirt or rust would get into your system but, I always try and figure all the possibilities in a situation like this.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It had algae once before when I couldn't get it started. I cut open the primary filter and it was plugged up pretty good. Figured this would be the first place to look.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
DJJ

I hope it is as simple as a clogged filter. But, in my experience when the filter starts to to get restricted you loose power due to restricted amount of fuel passing through. If you have growth in the tank it is not as easy as one treatment and problem solved. It can take a long time to get it under control. Since you had a problem with filters before I would start with that, cheep, easy and quick way to at least eliminate the filter. How long after your last fill up did the problem start? Bad Fuel?

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Biodiesel? Solvents loosen up the tank sediment.
Ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Prognosis is the HEUI pump and all injectors. Something came loose in the pump and dispersed metal particles into the injectors. Waiting on GSESP to tell me how much might be covered.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE:

Well, just picked up the mh and paid the bill. New HEUI kit (pump, injectors, sensor)complete from CAT installed along with oil/filter change and an original service call and diagnosis. Total $6,350. Good Sam warranty paid $4566 leaving me $1784.

Little over 2 weeks from the time it left my driveway to bringing it back. Most of that time was spent waiting on GS but it got done. During that 2 week period I spent 3 nights in the hospital from a minor stoke (TIA) and was not able to drain the water lines. Temp went from 62 down to 9 for 3 nights. Once out the wife and I got the temp up inside the unit and thawed the pipes out and blew air thru them clearing them out. Springtime will tell if we were successful. I can't do much more at this time as I go back in the hospital Monday for a carotid surgery on my right side. Should be ok and then back to normal- whatever that is
2010 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Old 11-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #9

OH man! Sorry to hear about your stroke. The MH can always be fixed. I had my HEUI go but no damage to the injectors, it seems that the C7 Cat is notorious for that. One thing you better check in the MH before you add water is the filter. The one I have in the Winnebago is like a beer can and breaks the first sign of cold weather. Good luck.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

abrasv,
Get well soon. Good luck with the mh. It'll be ok. Tend to you first.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote