Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy Can't Find DRL Circuit

My coach sits on a 2005 Freightliner XC chassis. I would like to disconnect my DRL’s. I contacted FL support, and they told me the DRL’s are activated by a ground wire connected to the parking brake circuit. I was told to locate the Headlamp Module, go to pin #6, and cut the ground wire marked "125", which is a red wire with a white tracer.

Being a novice, I’m not sure what a "Headlamp Module" is, but I initially thought it was the black box under my dash that contains various fuses and relays. I was wrong. No such circuit or wire.

I called FL back, and they said Fleetwood usually mounts the module in front of the front driver’s side wheel, so I went into the front hood. I am still unable to locate a headlamp module or a wire described by FL. Plenty of red wires with white tracers, but none marked "125".

Anybody have any experience with this? I would die for a photo of this module and wire!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Craig: No idea where-- but this MAY be what it looks like......
Used Lamp Control Module Model PCM803 Freightliner RV Motorhome | eBay

Good luck.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
My coach sits on a 2005 Freightliner XC chassis. I would like to disconnect my DRL’s. I contacted FL support, and they told me the DRL’s are activated by a ground wire connected to the parking brake circuit. I was told to locate the Headlamp Module, go to pin #6, and cut the ground wire marked "125", which is a red wire with a white tracer.

Being a novice, I’m not sure what a "Headlamp Module" is, but I initially thought it was the black box under my dash that contains various fuses and relays. I was wrong. No such circuit or wire.

I called FL back, and they said Fleetwood usually mounts the module in front of the front driver’s side wheel, so I went into the front hood. I am still unable to locate a headlamp module or a wire described by FL. Plenty of red wires with white tracers, but none marked "125".

Anybody have any experience with this? I would die for a photo of this module and wire!

Craig
your chassis shares the power platform for the bounders to, I went over and looked at moms.
the other place to look is under the driver side window compartment.
OR
below the dash behind the center pull out panel.
hope it helps

curious as to why wanting to disconnect the drls?
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to the posts from Hooligan & powerboatr, I found the headlamp module.

I was able to locate the 125 wire and cut it. Freightliner did leave one step out however. Once the wire is cut, it needs to be grounded, otherwise the DRL's will engage as soon as the ignition is turned on.

For those of you wondering why I want to eliminate my DRL's, please read this thread.

Thanks everyone!

Craig

Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Thanks to the posts from Hooligan & powerboatr, I found the headlamp module.
Craig - hate to wake an old thread like this, but I'm in the exact same boat you were in - HIDs that flicker due to low/choppy voltage.

Can you describe where you found the module? Is it inside the coach, under the hood, in the basement?

Thanks!
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73

Craig - hate to wake an old thread like this, but I'm in the exact same boat you were in - HIDs that flicker due to low/choppy voltage.

Can you describe where you found the module? Is it inside the coach, under the hood, in the basement?

Thanks!
Mine was inside, near the base of the steering column.

Craig

Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this is technically off topic but it does have to do with DRLs

I went to church yesterday (We have no car save the motor home) so when I got back to the campground and backed into the site, Someone stopped and said " Your lights are on ".

I mean, the engine was still running, I'd not even dropped jacks yet. Of course the DRL's were on.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You really shouldn't have to cut any wires. Just pull out the DRL relay. On my Fleetwood it was located in the fuse block behind the drivers instrument cluster when flip up the cover on the dash. However that is what I had to put back in because when I bought it out of the U.S. it was already pulled out and we need DRL's up here......It's the law.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
You really shouldn't have to cut any wires. Just pull out the DRL relay.
It all depends on your chassis. I got my instructions directly from Freightliner. Your chassis may be different.

Craig

Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #10

Craig, thanks for the reply. I found mine inside the center console. Had to remove the bottom drawer. The module is bolted to the floor. Found the red/white wire labeled 125, and cut it. As you stated, that only caused the DRL to activate anytime the engine was on.

I then grounded the wire - but the wrong side. Important for anyone trying to duplicate... The pin 6 on the harness/module is what needs to be grounded - not the red wire coming from the parking brake. I crimped on an extra length of wire to the red piece still connected to the harness, and tied the other end to a grounding bolt on the firewall (just behind the gas pedal).

Works like a charm. Headlights are on ONLY when I turn them on. I owe you a beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light module.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	28506  
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Just pull out the DRL relay. On my Fleetwood it was located in the fuse block behind the drivers instrument cluster when flip up the cover on the dash.
We have a Spartan chassis under our Newmar and that's all I had to do except ours was under the "hood" and in front of the driver.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
erkme73,

Glad you found it. Your's was a lot more difficult to find than mine.

You are right about grounding the module side of the 125 wire. I accidentally omitted that.

I drink Michelob Ultra...

Happy travels!

Craig