Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

Change Air Compressor Coupler

I have a 2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35B on a Freightliner XCS Chassis. In the front driverside storage compartment is a air coupler/quick connct. This coupler is not a "IM" style coupler (not sure what it is). I want to change it out for a "IM" style coupler so I can use the hoses and accessories that I own. I assume I need to dump the air before I remove the air coupler? Correct?

I found 2 air tanks behind the front tires and located the lanyards coming from those tanks. I pulled the lanyards to dump the air. One of the tanks did release some air, the other did not release any air. When I check the air prssure gauges they both still show about 60psi. Is ther somewhere else that I need to open to release the air pressure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Not sure exactly why the tanks didn't drain completely, possible bad routing of the lanyard , but pumping the brake pedal should get all the pressure out.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #3

BadMed,

What I do first is dump your air as if you were going to level the coach....then take your awning rod and pull all three lanyards until there is no longer any air coming out.

Then, go inside and pump your brakes several times.

For me, this has always worked to rid the system of any significant air pressure before releasing air lines or components within the air system.

In fact, I just did it before installing my new Bendix Air Dryer.
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Pumping the brakes did the trick. New coupler and shutoff valve installed.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That connector was put there for the tow truck driver (so I'm told) to hookup and apply air to the brakes for towing. Now that you have changed it...can that still happen? I'm curious.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
That connector was put there for the tow truck driver (so I'm told) to hookup and apply air to the brakes for towing. Now that you have changed it...can that still happen? I'm curious.
I had the same connector on my Winnebago Tour, but it was the IM style, the same style that I changed my connector to. I would think that the tow truck would have air onboard.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
BadMed,

What I do first is dump your air as if you were going to level the coach....then take your awning rod and pull all three lanyards until there is no longer any air coming out.

Then, go inside and pump your brakes several times.

For me, this has always worked to rid the system of any significant air pressure before releasing air lines or components within the air system.

In fact, I just did it before installing my new Bendix Air Dryer.
Toribk - Thanks for the advise. I found two air tanks behind the front tires. You said to "pull all three lanyards". I can't find the third tank, where is it located? Your instructions to pump the brakes is what allowed me to dump all of the air.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
I had the same connector on my Winnebago Tour, but it was the IM style, the same style that I changed my connector to. I would think that the tow truck would have air onboard.
My comment referenced a possible incompatibility with connector types, not whether the tow truck would have air. Carry on.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #9

On my 2012 Freightliner XC Chassis there are only two tanks, but three lanyards.

Two lanyards are at the frame rail inside the passenger wheel well and the third is on the frame rail just inside the driver's side wheel well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor