Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Is it just me, or do ohters have this same problem. When ever I park the coach for 2 weeks I return to dead chassis batteries. My other coachs, as well as my other vehicles could sit indeffinetly without losing their charges. Is there that mush parasidic draw on these modern coachs???

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Is it just me, or do ohters have this same problem. When ever I park the coach for 2 weeks I return to dead chassis batteries. My other coachs, as well as my other vehicles could sit indeffinetly without losing their charges. Is there that mush parasidic draw on these modern coachs???

Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a lot more that is driven off the chassis battery than you might think. For example, my jacks and my electric steps are on my chassis battery. I'm not too worried about either of those but would be concerned if any of the detectors are on a chassis battery circuit. It sounds like that might be the case for you.

It should be easy enough to figure out. Disconnect the house battery and everything that works on the chassis battery. I'd be willing to bet that you have a CO detector or an LP detector involved.

Our RV has set for 6 weeks in the winter without any starting problems.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Late model coaches have lots of electronics and a substantial parasitic draw. 2-3 amps is not unusual, even on the chassis batteries. They usually power the steps, maybe a detector or two, all the dash electronics, etc. If you have a chassis battery disconnect switch, you might try shutting it off (may be a mechanical switch back by the engine) and see what no longer works.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #5

Install a set of knife switches.I have them and no dead batt.if You use them..House and Bus I have a batt.minder also and 2-3 days and the voltage drops if switches are not used.co+propane,radio clock,also if the t.v.antenna is on all drain the system a little in cold weather drain is more why I am not sure but cold does make a difference..Bushman
Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I just took delivery yesterday of a new, 2006, 39K Winnebago Journey on a Freightliner chassis. In the engine compartment, there is a knob that turns a switch which is the disconnect for the chassis battery. Part of the drain that you are experiencing is to keep the computers for the engine and the Allison transmission alive. If you turn the battery off, the computer will have to relearn its settings. There is a procedure in your manuals for this.

There are other parasitic drains - even the memory on your radio. Assuming that your batteries don't have a shorted cell, all of those drains together could bring your batteries down.

My dealer suggested that I start the motorhome at least once per month to recharge the batteries.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob

P.S. I have to change my picture from my Brave to the Journey. I forgot how!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks guys, and congrats on the new Journey Bob, very nice coach. Use it in good health.
I'm very aware of the possable draws from the sensors and what not, my major concern with a shut off switch for the chassis batteries is as you mentioned, the engine and tranny computers. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to reset them each time I wanted to go out. This coach would never make a month between starts, not even 2 weeks. I wonder if I have a battery problem, and, if the FCCC dealer could check the at rest draw on the battery pack? This situation is not good, since we did want to dry camp.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I installed a Xantrex Echo-Charge so the chassis battery would charge when the coach is connected to shore-line. It's a smart setup where it only charges the chassis batteries if the house batteries charging and is above 13 volts. At 14.4 volts it goes into float mode. See the specs for more info.

However, finding a place to install it where it's weather protected can be a challenge depending on your exact configuration. The leads need to stay pretty short (2 feet). In the case of my 34H I ended up mounting it on inside the bedroom on the wall above the battery compartment and drilling a hole in the floor and filling in the gaps with silicone. After the fact it worked out pretty well.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #9

Another charging alternative is Trick-L-Start. Winnebago actually began installing them as a factory standard in '06.

Regarding the battery disconnect switch, I've not had to do any manual resetting of engine or trans computers after having been switched off. If there's any "relearning" done by the computers I've not been aware of it or seen any performance oddities...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diesellabs:
Another charging alternative is Trick-L-Start. Winnebago actually began installing them as a factory standard in '06.

Regarding the battery disconnect switch, I've not had to do any manual resetting of engine or trans computers after having been switched off. If there's any "relearning" done by the computers I've not been aware of it or seen any performance oddities... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I also suffer not from useing the off switch.Bushman
Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Regarding the battery disconnect switch, I've not had to do any manual resetting of engine or trans computers after having been switched off. If there's any "relearning" done by the computers I've not been aware of it or seen any performance oddities... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Steve,
Does your '05 Journey have a factory installed chassis battery disconnect switch in the engine compartment or did add a switch yourself?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I got tired of resetting all my clocks after flipping both the disconnects. I recently had 3 110w solar panels installed (2 to the house batteries, and 1 to the chassis batteries). An expensive option, but so far so good.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #13

Jon...

My '05 has the factory-installed switch in the engine compartment (I believe the brand is Guest). I really don't know if it was installed by Winnie or by FL as part of the shipped chassis.

Even with the switch set to off, there is power to the door and compartment locks and to the step, so they must be hardwired to the battery bank.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #14

Steve,

I'm thinking yours must have been built late in the '05 model year then. I've always thought it was a '06 model year item as mine and two other '05 Journeys/Meridians in my local WIT chapter do not have the chassis battery cut-off. My chassis was built in April '04 and the house in September '04.